User Tag List

123 Last

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Default Shopping for new laptop/computer

My current lap top screen has gone pooh pooh, and I never really liked it anyway, although, it was better than the one before. In other words, I want to ditch it. Bearing in mind, I essentially know nothing about computers except how to turn them on, and surf the web (for intents and purposes here.) What is recommended currently? I'm deeply considering a Mac book pro, as I've never heard a bad thing about them, but am some what reluctant to part with PC.

Mac haters, I don't want unintelligent one liners and poorly constructed arguments, reasonable arguments please, and recommendations.

I will be mainly using said computer for my uni course work, bad poetry, and novel writing that will never see the light of day. Also music downloading, and videos, the interwebz etc. etc.....although I was looking into experimenting with graphic fine arts and animation (although that may be a passing fancy).

What I really want is some thing fuss free, and long lasting hard ware. I'm considering shelling out decent money, I want the thing to last me a few years. I have gone through 4 laptops in 3 years (to be fair, one was second hand).
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

What's your range of "decent money?"
    You can easily spend anywhere from $250-$1200 on a laptop, which is why I am asking.

(I actually bought my first official laptop ever (can you believe that?) a month ago -- an HP Pavilion that ran me about $425. I was actually considering a Toshiba in the same range, since processing power was supposed to be faster, but when I went to test them out at Best Buy, I hated the built-in mousepad/response from the Toshiba. Funny that something seemingly so small and unimportant has such a big impact on look-and-feel, but that's what happened. Meanwhile I really liked the HP response.

I also downsized in terms of screen size, which is against grain for me, and decided to go portable with a 14". It runs pretty fine; it just can't handle high-end graphics games. My usage will be for portable writing, since I'm going overseas for a bit and wanted something I could take with me; and it should do fine with videos and movies.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Toshiba satelites are the only laptops I've ever owned. While the first was amazing--it played diablo 2 pretty well (which was all I needed graphics wise at the time), and did everything I'd need it to do.. and it lasted a long time.

Unfortunately, they haven't progressed too much since then. My father ended up buying me another one for my birthday, and I think I'm going to have to sell it since it won't do the games I need it to do.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Well, if I'm willing to shell out for a Mac, up to $1500ish, but if I can get a decent PC laptop for cheaper, that would be preferable. I mean a top of the range laptop would be wasted on me, seeing as I don't game so much.

Jennifer, I'm glad you didn't get a Toshiba...the one I'm replacing is a satellite L500. It was decent enough, but they don't seem to last particularly long. I was hoping to get at least another six months out of it before I had to start replacing parts. It mostly stays on my desk, or near my bed, so it wasn't like It was going through hard wear and tear.
    I still have an old Acer that still works even though it's 7 years old and the screen is cracked, and that's seen some pretty rough usage. I mean I dropped it and even accidentally stood on it. Maybe my standards are high, but one year and half, seems a short life for a laptop that doesn't get moved around a lot. Plus I have had friends who have also had a lot of wear and tear issues with their Toshibas. They don't seem to last beyond two years. I have had other issues as well, that seem to be snow balling as well...I'd be a lot happier with some thing I had to fuss round with less. I can honestly say that I've never had so many problems with any computer/laptop that wasn't Windows related.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Toshiba satelites are the only laptops I've ever owned. While the first was amazing--it played diablo 2 pretty well (which was all I needed graphics wise at the time), and did everything I'd need it to do.. and it lasted a long time.

Unfortunately, they haven't progressed too much since then. My father ended up buying me another one for my birthday, and I think I'm going to have to sell it since it won't do the games I need it to do.
    Hmmmm, maybe I got a dud.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Toshiba laptops have never done well for me either unfortunately.

I have Mac & PC machines. For what you want to do, get a Mac. You'll love it. I run Parallels on my Mac for any PC stuff I want to use and install too. Works great.

This computer linked below will do everything you want it to do, and admirably. The link I am sending is a current refurbished machine - Apple refurbys have excellent warranties and are clean as a whistle. This one is a little over your stated budget but has a 17" screen so no squinting if you do graphic work or watch movies.

MacBook Pro at Apple
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

This one's nice too for a 15" monitor and spot on your budget: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC...co=MjIzNjAyMTU

I am typing these posts btw on my 17" MacBook Pro refurby. Two years old now. Very happy with it.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

MacBook Pro:

13-inch: 2.7 GHz

2.7GHz dual-core
    Intel Core i7
    4GB 1333MHz
    500GB 5400-rpm1
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
    Built-in battery (7 hours)2

$1,499.00

Comparable Lenovo Thinkpad (has a 14" screen, which is an upgrade to the Macbook):

Core i7 2620M / 2.7 GHz - RAM 4 GB - HDD 500 GB - DVD-Writer - HD Graphics 3000 - 3G Upgradable - Gigabit Ethernet - WLAN : 802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth 3.0 - TPM - fingerprint reader - Windows 7 Pro 64-bit - 14" Widescreen LED backlight TFT 1600 x 900 ( WXGA++ ) - camera - TopSeller

MFG #: 4178AFU | CDW #: 2360444

$1,251.99

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/products/laptops/ I recommend the Thinkpad. These laptops are built-to-last, and are a much better value than the Macs. You can even pour a cup of coffee on the keyboard, and they keep on running. Less image-oriented, better engineering and overall quality, and more bang-for-the-buck. Imho, Macs are massively overpriced.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

i dunno about non-mac stuff. and i'm a super, super low
    involvement computer user, everything i use is straight out the box.
    and i hate fighting with computers/printers/stuff that i don't understand.

i'm on a macbook pro and a macbook air that i use for travel.
    i like being on a laptop more than a desktop (i have an imac
    that i rarely use too)

stuff i do on my mac are:
    1. play on the internet
    2. do work: so that's just word documents, spreadsheets,
    and presentation files (i use the mac version: pages, numbers, keynote)
    3. store my fotos
    4. recently, i've become addicted to the mac app store,
    and i just download a bunch of stuff and play with them.

i don't play like... fancy games.
    i play angry birds and airport mania.

i can't really get into the specs and techs,
    because i don't know anything about that stuff.

but i've been on a mac for over a decade now,
    because it works when i need it to work
    (oppose to fighting with my work issued
    computers in the past).

and i just really really love playing with the new tiger os. swipe swipe swipe!
    so fancy schmancy! i LOVE the gestures features. i'll even capitalise.

every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by mmhmm View Post
    i dunno about non-mac stuff. and i'm a super, super low
    involvement computer user, everything i use is straight out the box.
    and i hate fighting with computers/printers/stuff that i don't understand.

i'm on a macbook pro and a macbook air that i use for travel.
    i like being on a laptop more than a desktop (i have an imac
    that i rarely use too)

stuff i do on my mac are:
    1. play on the internet
    2. do work: so that's just word documents, spreadsheets,
    and presentation files (i use the mac version: pages, numbers, keynote)
    3. store my fotos
    4. recently, i've become addicted to the mac app store,
    and i just download a bunch of stuff and play with them.

i don't play like... fancy games.
    i play angry birds and airport mania.

i can't really get into the specs and techs,
    because i don't know anything about that stuff.

but i've been on a mac for over a decade now,
    because it works when i need it to work
    (oppose to fighting with my work issued
    computers in the past).

and i just really really love playing with the new tiger os. swipe swipe swipe!
    so fancy schmancy! i LOVE the gestures features. i'll even capitalise.

It makes sense. You are an Apple customer. Tech-savvy folks generally won't touch an Apple product.

I can't believe you are still using one with 10 years of experience. It's a piece of shit with a spit-shine.

People never fail to amaze me. Don't you consider that if you don't understand the specs, you are getting had? I can't buy anything without understanding the specs, because I want the best value I can get. A more powerful pc will grant faster performance, and everyone generally wants that. I also want it to be well-made and of good quality, so it will cost less in repairs, cause me less heartache down the road, and last longer.

There are out-of-the-box windows laptops that are almost as easy as using a mac. Windows is not as easy to use, however, and yes, you will have to use a few braincells to learn it. I suppose that's asking too much, that some people would rather pay out thousands of dollars to buy "slightly easier to use", when honestly, that's a Mac's only desirable quality (which generally isn't needed or desirable for anyone who took the opportunity to learn windows). Everything else can be granted with a windows pc, and much, much more.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype