User Tag List

First 4567 Last

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by ICUP View Post
    TBTH, I really haven't researched it. I just have experiences with Thinkpads, so I know they are pretty freaking durable for consumer use. They won't sustain explosions or anything. I hear the Toshiba Toughbooks would. hahaha. But they weren't too good for consumer use.
    Haha, I was a being a nerd awhile back and researched the topic a bit on the internet and the Thinkpad and Toughbook seemed to be the most common answers.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Catbert View Post
    These are supposed to be popular among those working out in the field.

http://panasonic.com.au/Products/Toughbook/Overview
    LOL, Considering some of the places I end up working, these might not be a bad choice. I think these would survive sitting on my desk. They are actually pretty cool, I've seen these on display. Not those exact models. They are pretty awesome.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ISTx

so sleek, so sexy, so sweet

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    so sleek, so sexy, so sweet

lol, may as well show a pic, since looks is all that thing really has to offer over any competitors (that is, if you think it's attractive). And the ideapad looks alot like it.....except it's better, has more features, and costs less.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier. I bought this laptop about a month ago when it first came out:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ASUS+-+L...=1218360613837

It's a true powerhouse laptop with a quad core processor that'll handle everything at lightning speed and stay fast for years to come, and has dedicated graphics that allow the laptop to perform on the level of laptops twice the price. The battery life is great also. I'd highly suggest it if you ever want to do video/photo editing, gaming, HD streaming, or graphics intensive programs. The laptop will do EVERYTHING you could ever want a computer to do at an unprecedented price point. Unfortunately, it's 15.6" which you may not like, though I find it to be perfect considering its a desktop replacement for me, but not as oversized as a 17" which allows me to carry it around school comfortably. Despite the larger screen, the notebook is quite thin considering the features it has, and is of average weight for a 15.6". Bigger issue is that these were a limited time gift from above, and are being discontinued (they were BestBuy only). If you're lucky, you might be able to find a store that still has some near you, but the chances are slim now.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

13 inch MacBook Pro with 8GB of RAM.

Or MaBook Air with 4GB of RAM.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier. I bought this laptop about a month ago when it first came out:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ASUS+-+L...=1218360613837

It's a true powerhouse laptop with a quad core processor that'll handle everything at lightning speed and stay fast for years to come, and has dedicated graphics that allow the laptop to perform on the level of laptops twice the price. The battery life is great also. I'd highly suggest it if you ever want to do video/photo editing, gaming, HD streaming, or graphics intensive programs. The laptop will do EVERYTHING you could ever want a computer to do at an unprecedented price point. Unfortunately, it's 15.6" which you may not like, though I find it to be perfect considering its a desktop replacement for me, but not as oversized as a 17" which allows me to carry it around school comfortably. Despite the larger screen, the notebook is quite thin considering the features it has, and is of average weight for a 15.6". Bigger issue is that these were a limited time gift from above, and are being discontinued (they were BestBuy only). If you're lucky, you might be able to find a store that still has some near you, but the chances are slim now.
    NICE.....
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

@ crystal

The laptop I mentioned would be a great comparable alternative to the Asus n53sn you were looking at. Both have USB 3.0, which is great, but the one I mentioned doesn't have 1080 resolution, and the AMD cpu, while a strong quad core, wont measure up to i7 level (it ties with an i5 2410 when overclocked though). It's highly highly doubtful that you'd need anything as powerful as an i7. Intel makes the best CPUs power wise, so much so that the high end ones supply far more power than the average (or even above average) user could ever utilize. The real benefit for an averagge consumer in buying an expensive i7 is the fact that it's the gateway to quad core laptops, allowing you to experience great performance boosts and a better overall experience simply due to the multitasking capabilities 4 cores give you. Even with the most basic programs you can notice the difference between a dual and quad core in that way.

But most people will only ever need something as powerful as an i5, if that. AMD's llano cpus offer a greatly balanced approach wherein, with some tweaking, you recieve the same performance and power as an i5 cpu, but in four physical cores instead of just 2. On top of that, the "APU" (combo of cpu and AMD graphics) has graphics capabilities that far exceed the integrated graphics on ANY intel cpu. The separate DEDICATED graphics card in the Asus I linked is comparable to the dedicated graphics in the Asus n53sn.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Also check out this configuration from HP:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...fig_id=6686228

It has a better hard drive, better graphics, and slightly better AMD processor similar to the one in the asus. A better set of features for about $500 after the $375 coupon on logicbuy and the student discount HP gives (which knocks off tax pretty much).

http://www.logicbuy.com/deals/hp-pav...pon/21931.aspx

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

^ oh poop, if only I had seen Risen's posts. I ended up getting the Asus N53SN as it was substantially reduced in price from when I originally priced it. I'm actually very happy with it. It isn't i7, but an i5 (which is sufficent for my needs currently), which may explain the price reduction.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]