User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Glycerine

I have a Mac. It works pretty well for all of the things you have described. For user-friendliness, I would go with Mac but for more of the advanced programming/gaming, PC seems to be the way to go. The Macbook can last for years if you take good care of it.... my dad had his for about 4 years before he sold it in nearly perfect condition to someone else (the $1500 to last only a year seems like a gross exaggeration.... one would have to do something drastic to it).

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    I have a Mac. It works pretty well for all of the things you have described. For user-friendliness, I would go with Mac but for more of the advanced programming/gaming, PC seems to be the way to go. The Macbook can last for years if you take good care of it.... my dad had his for about 4 years before he sold it in nearly perfect condition to someone else (the $1500 to last only a year seems like a gross exaggeration.... one would have to do something drastic to it).
    I think if you take good care of it, sure, you can keep it a long time, but it's fragile compared to many other laptops. It has to be handled with kid gloves, not dropped, or banged, or drinking with it there, etc. It's not a good choice for business use, or for many home users. I'm way too sloppy to babysit a Mac lol.....
    I was replying, considering Crystal's usage, because she has gone through 4 laptops in 3 years, and in that case, I don't see Mac as being a good choice for that reason. She seems to need something a little more heavy-duty, or at least average on that end. It sounds like whatever it is, it won't last that long. I didn't mean that Macs only last a year; this has circumstances and situations attached to it lol......Gees.

In other words, when I said that, I was more or less pre-determining what would probably happen if Crystal bought a Mac..... does that make sense now? Laptops get broken all the time, just from people walking by and accidentally knocking them on the floor or hitting them. They aren't that industrial. Some of the people my S.O. works with go through HP's and/or Dell's every 3 months..... so what you consider to be "something drastic", is really pretty common in some people's lives.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

Glycerine

ahhh ok, I had dropped my mac probably like 90 times in 19 months before I broke I broke the sleeper switch thing and replaced my computer. Now I am more careful.... I can see what you are saying now. The Aluminum can be quite malleable compared to other materials. I meant drastic as in dropping it a lot, downloading a lot of iffy things, spilling a lot of liquid on it.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalViolet View Post
    Ooo....thank you for this tip!
    I hope you ordered last night because looking at the comments, they've disabled the code.

My credit card has been charged though, so we'll see...

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

ahhh ok, I had dropped my mac probably like 90 times in 19 months before I broke I broke the sleeper switch thing and replaced my computer. Now I am more careful.... I can see what you are saying now. The Aluminum can be quite malleable compared to other materials. I meant drastic as in dropping it a lot, downloading a lot of iffy things, spilling a lot of liquid on it.
    Yep, you're taking a chance everytime you drop it or hit it. And the aluminum does make it more fragile than usual.....

Yep, some of these guys my S.O. works with, would probably eat a Mac in two weeks lol..... they are extreme when it comes to beating up laptops.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

Glycerine

I guess I was under the impression that you were anti-mac based on your posts so I wanted to clear that up.... that was all.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

I guess I was under the impression that you were anti-mac based on your posts so I wanted to clear that up.... that was all.
    I wouldn't say I am anti-Mac, but I don't agree with their pricing models. I think they are highly-overpriced, and that Apple takes advantage of people's ignorance. Not everyone that buys a Mac knows what they are getting......

No problems.....
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by ICUP View Post
    I wouldn't say I am anti-Mac, but I don't agree with their pricing models. I think they are highly-overpriced, and that Apple takes advantage of people's ignorance. Not everyone that buys a Mac knows what they are getting......

No problems.....
    To get back on topic, So in your opininion, what is the most durable notebook?

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

These are supposed to be popular among those working out in the field.

http://panasonic.com.au/Products/Toughbook/Overview

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

TBTH, I really haven't researched it. I just have experiences with Thinkpads, so I know they are pretty freaking durable for consumer use, while only weighing three pounds. They won't sustain explosions or anything. I hear the Toshiba Toughbooks would. hahaha. But they weren't too good for consumer use.

Quote Originally Posted by Catbert View Post
    These are supposed to be popular among those working out in the field.

http://panasonic.com.au/Products/Toughbook/Overview
    Ahhh, gotta check these out now! So many brands, so little time.......
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype