User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 61

  1. #31
    lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,170

    Default

    There are a lot things I like about the mac's, I've been thinking about getting one on and for ages. There's no doubt they build beautiful machines.
    And I have to say, actually Mac users don't seem have a single bad thing to say about them. Seriously, that speaks volumes to me. And the Mac OS system...well, I got say I'm liking. liking a lot. I last used a Mac in '96, they've come a long way.

    I haven't been very happy with windows OS for a long time. Vista was beyond terrible, and windows 7, while an infinite improvement on the car crash that vista was, certainly isn't great. I'm not savvy enough for Linux, though the concept greatly appeals. I don't hate PC's, but Y'all have to admit, to keep them running smick you have to have some nouss about you. Some times I just want to sit down
    at my computer and play, I don't want to worry about the latest piece malware that screwing with performance or are all my windows updates up to date so I can run a piece of software on it.

    You have to admit the lack of viruses etc, has got to be pretty appealing...and dealing with anti virus software. I've got four different kinds on my old laptop just deal with a particularly nasty piece of malware.

    I'm one of those people while better than average with a computer, and I know where to look for fixes, I just want some thing was less fuss.

    That said I was looking at the latest Asus model in Oz, and that's looking pretty appealing too.

    And you have to admit after vista, how many people were driven into Apple's arms, as well as Linux?
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  2. #32
    lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,170

    Default

    ICUP,
    Obviously you are quite up with the whole OS thing, I'm not particularly. Without my boys down the road, or next door, and me being one of more computer savvy people in my acquaintance (it's scary I know!) it's either windows or Mac. I know my limitations, and it's got to be a fairly low maintenance deal.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  3. #33
    Senior Member ICUP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CrystalViolet View Post
    There are a lot things I like about the mac's, I've been thinking about getting one on and for ages. There's no doubt they build beautiful machines.
    And I have to say, actually Mac users don't seem have a single bad thing to say about them.
    That's probably because either: 1) they wouldn't know what to say; 2) they got brainwashed by advertisements and/or other people; or 3) they wouldn't want to upset their friends by bad-mouthing a Mac. And in this case: Ignorance is bliss. People that get had repeatedly sometimes don't realize that anything bad has happened to them. (It has happened to me, and probably will again, unfortunately).

    Quote Originally Posted by CrystalViolet View Post
    Seriously, that speaks volumes to me. And the Mac OS system...well, I got say I'm liking. liking a lot. I last used a Mac in '96, they've come a long way.

    I haven't been very happy with windows OS for a long time. Vista was beyond terrible, and windows 7, while an infinite improvement on the car crash that vista was, certainly isn't great. I'm not savvy enough for Linux, though the concept greatly appeals. I don't hate PC's, but Y'all have to admit, to keep them running smick you have to have some nouss about you. Some times I just want to sit down
    at my computer and play, I don't want to worry about the latest piece malware that screwing with performance or are all my windows updates up to date so I can run a piece of software on it.
    I hardly ever touch my machine when it comes to antivirus or windows updates. My updates are set to work at 3 am, so I simply allow my computer to run at night. My antivirus never prompts me, and runs automatically in the background. I probably haven't messed with either in 6 months. Very occasionally, I will have to do something more than nothing-at-all, and spend a few hours here-and-there. The only other-thing I do is run malwarebytes every once in a while (maybe every 3 months) to see if I have contracted any viruses. So I spend about 1 hour every 3 months on maintenance.
    I run one piece of antivirus software, Eset Nod32. I have had some viruses on my machine, but they have not spread, so my malwarebytes got them. If they would've tried to spread, my Nod32 would've more-than-likely kicked in. I haven't had a virus that spread in 8 years. I've been using Nod32 for about 4 of those.

    Quote Originally Posted by CrystalViolet View Post
    You have to admit the lack of viruses etc, has got to be pretty appealing...and dealing with anti virus software. I've got four different kinds on my old laptop just deal with a particularly nasty piece of malware.
    I personally would run antivirus software on a Mac, so it would be no difference in my world, other than less chance of getting a virus and I really don't need that. You will still be susceptible to viruses, and they still provide security updates, as windows does. More and more Mac viruses are being found, although your chances of getting one are very low compared to windows, at this time. http://gigaom.com/apple/antivirus-so...mac-yes-or-no/

    "Even Apple suggests running some kind of antivirus software on your Mac and included one with a .Mac subscription. Additionally, numerous security flaws are found and Apple releases regular security updates to patch them up.

    Apple has also been found to be installing spyware on computers, which I found to be interesting. Macs are still very susceptible to spyware. Threats that run within the context of the browser or that target a Web applications such as Sun Java, Adobe Flash, Apple Quicktime, or Adobe Reader can also impact Mac users.

    My S.O. says, "Mac does get nasty viruses
    just most mac users don't notice
    I think every Mac Book I've fired up usually has like 4-5 trojans running on it". Lmfao......

    He also says that anything you want to do technically takes more time, such as shifting a POP e-mail account to IMAP, takes 25 minutes and counting, vs. 5 minutes on a windows system. I'm thinking there's not a whole lot of truth to the fact that it's a better design, in any way. This thing appears to be a big, honking piece-o-shit. I've given it a chance..... my S.O. is working on one right now.

    Quote Originally Posted by CrystalViolet View Post
    I'm one of those people while better than average with a computer, and I know where to look for fixes, I just want some thing was less fuss."

    That said I was looking at the latest Asus model in Oz, and that's looking pretty appealing too.

    And you have to admit after vista, how many people were driven into Apple's arms, as well as Linux?
    "Mac OS X is a series of Unix-based operating systems and graphical user interfaces" So they just wrote a unix-based os with a graphical interface. Why would i pay for that, when I can get many very similar to that, for free?

    Personally, if I wanted to buy a Mac, I would buy a good laptop and then install an OS similar to the Mac OS I wanted to run, for free, such as: http://www.internetling.com/2008/08/...like-mac-os-x/
    Win-win. There's no point in spending more for crappy hardware and an outer shell that breaks easily. But I understand if some people think it's pretty (though I wouldn't ever compromise power-for-pretty), and I still think most-of-the-time that they just want to be doing "what the cool kids are doing". College kids think they have to have Macs these days. My brother's gf bought a mac, and he doesn't even know what he owns. She just bought it because other people were buying them.

    Oh, I know windows has been far from perfect. Ha. But I don't have to run windows on my pc. The reason I do, is because I play games. However, there are other good options, rather than resorting to buying a Mac. There are some easy-to-use versions of Linux that you might want to consider as well, that are supposedly just as easy to learn as the Mac os'es, although I haven't tested them. I find it funny that many Mac users complain about how hard it is to learn windows, but they relearned a whole new OS, when Mac's came out with one. To me, Mac wouldn't be less fuss. I honestly don't find windows 7 to be any fussier than I would a Mac os, more-than-likely..... I haven't had many troubles..... none that I even care to remember. I don't even bother to install another OS on my machine for when I am not playing games.

    Yep, Asus is also a decent choice, I think. My S.O. has been eyeing one.....

    Let's face it, Mac has a cult-following. Apple has convinced people through advertisements that they can be cool and different if they buy a Mac. They write an os similar to ones you can get for free, throw it on a crappy but cutesie laptop, and charge an extravagant price for it all with the sureties that if you own one, you can now belong to the "cool kids" cult. I think The Church of Scientology should compile a list of Mac-users to target and increase their numbers. I think displaying a Mac symbol might be damaging to my psychological state of mind, and it might draw in the predators. lolol.... sad, but it's probably true to some extent. If a predator is looking for a victim, finding people with Macs wouldn't be a bad choice.....

    I've found some mac users to be liars in general. To make up stories and take on personas in order to try to "sell" Macs. If you ask me, many are much like the company they are loyal to, and I think that if you operate that way, then you are liable to getting had yourself by your very own modes of operation. Sad, but true.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

  4. #34
    Senior Member ICUP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CrystalViolet View Post
    ICUP,
    Obviously you are quite up with the whole OS thing, I'm not particularly. Without my boys down the road, or next door, and me being one of more computer savvy people in my acquaintance (it's scary I know!) it's either windows or Mac. I know my limitations, and it's got to be a fairly low maintenance deal.
    I am really not up on OS'es. I'm pretty new to it all...... but I'm definitely the type to just dive in there haha. I'm a little better at hardware than I am os'es. I know windows semi-well, and a little Linux. It's all a matter of time for me, though.

    The one thing that keeps me from getting had is that I generally research my options, whether I have knowledge of them initially, or not.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

  5. #35
    lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,170

    Default

    Yeah well, I haven't decided yet. It's probably going to boil down to the Convenience factor, being in a small town, PCs will be easier to get fixed, should any thing go wrong. Luckily all the top brands of PC seem to be in stock. Good lord you can get Alienware here (which makes me go a little bit shaky with excitement, but would be entirely wasted upon me, and I have to be reasonably sensible). Why, oh why only two USB ports so close together on everything! These are things that I look at also.
    Looking at the Asus n53sn, which now reading the specs, is a very sexy option.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  6. #36
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,490

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CrystalViolet View Post
    Yeah well, I haven't decided yet. It's probably going to boil down to the Convenience factor, being in a small town, PCs will be easier to get fixed, should any thing go wrong. Luckily all the top brands of PC seem to be in stock. Good lord you can get Alienware here (which makes me go a little bit shaky with excitement, but would be entirely wasted upon me, and I have to be reasonably sensible). Why, oh why only two USB ports so close together on everything! These are things that I look at also.
    Looking at the Asus n53sn, which now reading the specs, is a very sexy option.
    This all may just be uniquely American...

    Most all of the time when your laptop breaks for serious instances it will be mailed off to be repaired. The difference being with on an online retailer vs brick & mortar is that you'd mail it yourself. When you get ready to buy a laptop from a local establishment, keep in mind that the people on the floor have been given directives to sell you accessories and services. I have heard that Best Buy will tell you that the only computer they have for model you want has already had their virus removal/bloatware removal/etc service installed. So if you'd like to buy it it would be $XX dollars more. I have also heard that if they get the sense that you won't be buying anything other than the computer itself, they will tell you that it is not in stock so as not to mess up their sales stats for corporate.

  7. #37
    lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    This all may just be uniquely American...

    Most all of the time when your laptop breaks for serious instances it will be mailed off to be repaired. The difference being with on an online retailer vs brick & mortar is that you'd mail it yourself. When you get ready to buy a laptop from a local establishment, keep in mind that the people on the floor have been given directives to sell you accessories and services. I have heard that Best Buy will tell you that the only computer they have for model you want has already had
    their virus removal/bloatware removal/etc service installed. So if you'd like to buy it it would be $XX dollars more. I
    have also heard that if they get the sense that you won't be buying anything other than the computer itself, they will tell
    you that it is not in stock so as not to mess up their sales stats for corporate.
    'tis not so bad here in Aus. I hate it when Norton is preinstalled though. Hmmm, I was slightly surprised, at the brands they have in stock here in this wee town, but then, people are so relant on the Internet here, people don't just rock on up and buy any old thing. If I get the Asus, I will be buying it from a chain store, and it will be up to me what accessories I need (nothing except maybe new antivirus software which I need to research, oh and maybe a tablet ( - : )
    I've brought from stuff from these guys before, at other stores, so I know what I'll be in for. I thinking though I should wait until I go to either Melbourne or Sydney, so I can check out some of the other brands available. Some laptops look pretty smick in pictures and specs, but turn out to be horrors to use in terms of key board and touch pad placement.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  8. #38
    The Eighth Colour Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL
    Posts
    1,366

    Default

    In Australia I wouldn't buy from a typical chain store as the markup is huge. Sometimes you can bargain down JB HiFi a lot though (people post their reciepts online so that everyone can get the same bargain LOL).

    I often see some amazing specials listed on http://www.ozbargain.com.au (user suggested bargains)

    Example of recent bargains:
    http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/49520 (Lenovo laptop for $350) <-I should have bought that a few weeks back as it is an amazing bargain! A laptop like that is more than enough unless you are gaming or doing video or music production. (Lenovo took over from IBM)
    http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/51245 (i7 & decent graphics chip for gaming for $600! - but it is a HP, which is a bit.. meh.)

    You have to be ready for them though as they are typically only on special for a few days.
    Last edited by Octarine; 09-04-2011 at 07:12 AM.

  9. #39
    The Eighth Colour Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL
    Posts
    1,366

    Default

    As I was saying, Lenovo is having a sale again - and it's really cheap if you use the additional discount code:
    http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/52204

    Ooh, shiny, I can't decide..

  10. #40
    lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,170

    Default

    Ooo....thank you for this tip!
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Similar Threads

  1. So I'm buying a new laptop...
    By neptunesnet in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-01-2010, 11:46 PM
  2. I have 2000 dollars I need a new laptop (fight it out here for your favorite models!)
    By Billy in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-03-2010, 09:07 PM
  3. Sarkozy, Merkel, Blair call for new capitalism
    By Risen in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-11-2009, 12:09 PM
  4. Suggestions for new fines, charges and other changes for the sake of common sense.
    By Xander in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 10-24-2008, 06:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO