User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 61

  1. #21
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,488

    Default

    I'm pretty much a Linux guy, because I like to have an unreasonable amount of control over my own user experience. So in that way I have a ton of respect for Jobs, who has similar.. uhh.. issues. Buying a Mac requires a premium, and what it offers is design. That is a really hard thing to quantify, but is a joy to use. Mac isn't afraid to give the users a well thought out interface with hardware specced to work well together. Windows... well I don't know what they do, but not that.

  2. #22
    Senior Member ICUP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I'm pretty much a Linux guy, because I like to have an unreasonable amount of control over my own user experience. So in that way I have a ton of respect for Jobs, who has similar.. uhh.. issues. Buying a Mac requires a premium, and what it offers is design. That is a really hard thing to quantify, but is a joy to use. Mac isn't afraid to give the users a well thought out interface with hardware specced to work well together. Windows... well I don't know what they do, but not that.
    I would expect that everyone would want to know how to use Windows, because it's what I consider to be "standard". I prefer Linux.
    I agree that Mac makes it easy, but I don't think easy is better. It's just easier and more simple. Windows caters to businesses moreso as well. I'm not a windows fan either, but it's standard. A Mac product is limited.
    I can play Simon, and that is easy, and a joy to use. My point being, that I would expect at some point that people would tire of that, and grow into something else, especially if it is more cost-efficient and sensible, and it broadens one's skills in the marketplace.

    I'm thinking over-priced toy haha..... If I want control over my own experience, I need to be able to run the software titles I want, upgrade my laptop's memory, and plug in more than one usb accessory, for example lol...... a good set of speakers wouldn't hurt lol..... and if i accidentally drop it, well, I'd rather it still be running when I pick it up off the floor ......
    Last edited by ICUP; 09-01-2011 at 03:59 PM.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

  3. #23
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ICUP View Post
    I would expect that everyone would want to know how to use Windows, because it's what I consider to be "standard". I prefer Linux.
    I agree that Mac makes it easy, but I don't think easy is better. It's just easier and more simple. Windows caters to businesses moreso as well. I'm not a windows fan either, but it's standard. A Mac product is limited.
    I can play Simon, and that is easy, and a joy to use. My point being, that I would expect at some point that people would tire of that, and grow into something else, especially if it is more cost-efficient and sensible, and it broadens one's skills in the marketplace.

    I'm thinking over-priced toy haha.....
    Calling a Mac a toy is hyperbole. There's a spectrum of productivity between tools and their uses. The rule of thumb is that the more uses a tool has, the less useful it will be on each of them. A swiss army knife sucks as scissors, pliers, and even as a knife.. the handle is crap for usage, because it is such a general purpose multi-use tool. Windows is similar. Mac is good for what it is designed for, and if that's what you want it for, it's worth the price. I can make a similar analogy between playing a piano or modular synth.

  4. #24
    Senior Member ICUP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Calling a Mac a toy is hyperbole. There's a spectrum of productivity between tools and their uses. The rule of thumb is that the more uses a tool has, the less useful it will be on each of them. A swiss army knife sucks as scissors, pliers, and even as a knife.. the handle is crap for usage, because it is such a general purpose multi-use tool. Windows is similar. Mac is good for what it is designed for, and if that's what you want it for, it's worth the price. I can make a similar analogy between playing a piano or modular synth.
    Oh, i don't doubt that windows sucks in some ways. I'm not arguing that.....
    However, I disagree that a Mac runs overall better and faster, just because it doesn't employ Windows, although now, it has the option to. I think that is a good addition, as maybe some people will choose to learn it. Plus, you have the option of installing another OS on a different laptop, and generally you aren't limited to using Windows the way you are limited to two OS'es with a Mac.....
    To me, a Mac would be an overpriced toy, and that's no exaggeration. I have no use for it. I think it even looks like a toy. I honestly see it as a toy-version of a pc or a laptop. It's simple, like they design products simple for kids.
    It's a simple, easy-to-use product, geared toward people who need simple products, but you have to pay big for it. I would just learn to use windows in a short period of time, and you're there. I would not use an Apple laptop in public, being completely honest, because I find it embarrassing. It's like Apple is saying, "Here ya' go, gimps. Now pay us BIG." I would, however, use an iphone.
    My computer hardly ever blue-screens, and it never gets overtaken by viruses. All it takes is a little knowledge, and you can overcome any difficulties the OS may cause . The overall gains from learning windows greatly outweigh the disadvantages.


    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    My PC regularly needs attention to keep crap spyware and malware from affecting it.
    My pc very-rarely needs attention to keep malware from affecting it.
    You must not be using a good, maintenance-free antivirus software, like Eset Nod32. Besides that, you need to run antivirus protection on a Mac as well.
    Last edited by ICUP; 09-01-2011 at 04:28 PM.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

  5. #25
    reborn PeaceBaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx
    Posts
    6,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ICUP View Post
    My pc very-rarely needs attention to keep malware from affecting it.
    You must not be using a good, maintenance-free antivirus software, like Eset Nod32.
    No I don't. I use Bitdefender, because it's better.

    What are you trying to prove in this thread? You like PC's - good for you. You won't convert a single soul with the approach you are taking. Plus, myself, I own 4 PC's and one Mac. One. You're preaching to the choir here.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt


    "When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

  6. #26
    Senior Member ICUP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    No I don't. I use Bitdefender, because it's better.

    What are you trying to prove in this thread? You like PC's - good for you. You won't convert a single soul with the approach you are taking. Plus, myself, I own 4 PC's and one Mac. One. You're preaching to the choir here.
    I don't plan to convert any Mac users. I have no interest there. Just here, posting like everyone else is
    I recommend Nod32 to people because it is virtually maintenance-free. There are no requesters that pop up, so someone can't keep procrastinating d/l definitions and get a virus lol..... which is what a lot of people seem to do Haven't tried bitdefender lately.....
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

  7. #27
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,031

    Default

    For what you want to do, a Mac book pro should be more than enough.

    My hatred of Mac's will continue unabated.

  8. #28
    Senior Member ICUP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    For what you want to do, a Mac book pro should be more than enough.
    You are probably right, but do you really think it's going to last her very long? If I shelled out $1,500 for a laptop that lasted me a year, I would probably have a stroke lol......

    Quote Originally Posted by CrystalViolet View Post
    I have gone through 4 laptops in 3 years (to be fair, one was second hand).
    This is exactly why my S.O. issues Thinkpads to people in his company. They go through Dell's and HP's like candy. Thinkpads last a loooooot longer.....
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

  9. #29
    reborn PeaceBaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx
    Posts
    6,226

    Default

    ^ which were all PC's ftr ...
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt


    "When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

  10. #30
    Senior Member ICUP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    ^ which were all PC's ftr ...
    Oh, gees......
    The new Macs are even easier to break than those cheap brands.

    I'm not necessarily a pc person, btw, although I prefer most brands to Mac. I don't see it as pc vs. mac, as both can run windows, or not. I can choose to run an os similar to the mac ones on my pc, if I choose to. I no longer see a big difference, other than hardware, build. It just becomes another laptop with a touchpad.
    I can't build a laptop, so I choose to buy the best I can find. Other than that, I choose to build my own pc's.
    Last edited by ICUP; 09-01-2011 at 04:46 PM.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

Similar Threads

  1. So I'm buying a new laptop...
    By neptunesnet in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-01-2010, 11:46 PM
  2. I have 2000 dollars I need a new laptop (fight it out here for your favorite models!)
    By Billy in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-03-2010, 09:07 PM
  3. Sarkozy, Merkel, Blair call for new capitalism
    By Risen in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-11-2009, 12:09 PM
  4. Suggestions for new fines, charges and other changes for the sake of common sense.
    By Xander in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 10-24-2008, 06:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO