User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice on buying an SLR camera

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    I bought a camera today. After doing more reading and research I ended up deciding that it was work it to me to go up a little beyond what I had originally planned pricewise. I got a Nikon D7000 kit and another lens, plus a flash. I'm really excited about this and I think I will end up using it a lot for a long time. While I didn't want to end up with way more camera than I will use, I also wanted something that if I did want to move up a bit, I would only be adding rather than rebuying equipment. I surveyed a bunch of friends as well as several professional photographer acquaintances and family members. I went to two camera places that were very knowledgeable and came highly recommended for their customer service and they gave exactly the same recommendations as each other based on what I told them I would use the camera for. I think it's a good thing that I am taking a three day course soon which will do a lot of covering the basics and this gives me some chances to experiment before that.

It's interesting - it appears that studio photographers tend to prefer Nikon, news and fashion photographers lean towards Canon and wildlife photographers seem split down the middle. Thank you all for weighing in. I'll keep you updated.
    what lens did you get? i love the 50mm fixed lens.
    that's my super favourite one. nikons feel so good
    don't you just love the clickclick sounds! mmmm!
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

1w2 so/sx

The two lenses I have are the

AF-S VR Zoom 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G IF-ED
    and the
    AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR

4w3 sp/sx

Good choice. Several years ago, I wanted a Canon but after talking extensively with a mom that owned a photography business, I started looking at Nikon. I eventually snapped up a very inexpensive, almost brand new Nikon D40 (the seller was in a hurry to get some cash!). I love it even though it has its quirks.

Have you seen this? This guy is good (beyond that 'women don't like tech gear BS'):