• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hurricane Irene

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
We had a 30 second power outage, enough to reset all the clocks.

A few downed trees.

Neighbors across the street lost power. We were lucky. 1 million people without power in VA.

LEGERdeMAIN

oh ya, that sucks. I just went around and reset all of the clocks in house, soooo treacherous, especially the microwave, never could set a microwave clock properly. It currently reads 10:54 PM, it took so long to get it to the right time that I was hesitant to fuck around with the am/pm in case it went back to the feared blinking-12:00.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Power's out here, running on battery backup. Might be on sporadically if the internet holds up. Not nearly as severe winds as I had anticipated so far. But lots of rain and flooding here, plus power outages. Not fun. Once things get back to normal here, will be back to business. Take care guys. :)

LeftKick

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5 sp
Power has been out since 7:30 am here in New England/Boston area. Generator is running,have the basics. Branches down all over the place. Seems like the worst of the wind and rain is over. Be safe everyone!

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's sunny and 85 here, now. I was lucky and didn't even lose power. The area was lucky and didn't get that much wind, but there was plenty of rain and a moderate amount of flooding. Good luck to those up north!

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
We're out of power, along with over one hundred thousand others (I don't remember the estimate exactly), but it doesn't seem like there's any flooding, but plenty of leaves and branches are down, though only small branches were downed in my neighborhood.

EDIT: Apparently large branches and trees were knocked over, and the metal piece holding electric wires to the pole down the street was ripped off the pole and broke into several pieces, though the fact that it broke into pieces has to be just from hitting the pavement at such a height.

Last edited:

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Power was restored before, and now it's down again. Not fun...

LeftKick

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5 sp
Power is back, shut down the generator, got stung by a wasp on the inside of my arm. Wasp's get mad when you accidentally aim the exhaust at their hive in the old wood pile. :butterflee:

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So far have power now.... hopefully it'll stay put this time.

gromit

likes this
Power has been out since 7:30 am here in New England/Boston area. Generator is running,have the basics. Branches down all over the place. Seems like the worst of the wind and rain is over. Be safe everyone!

Weird - we had our power all day where I am. Seems the storm veered a bit to the west. There was quite a bit of wind, some rain, some fallen branches.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I went to the beach with my camera to take pictures of the massive damage we received here.

Except, there wasn't really any, all things considered. Okay, there were some downed branches and a tree or two. A 10 foot section of a pier was destroyed, and one business lost their lighted sign. But other than that, the things at the beach that made me want to pull out my camera were things inappropriate for this thread. :D

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
just heard that the reason the hurricane never got to slam into
new york as predicted was that obama issued a preemtive F16
strike late on saturday night as irene was over atlantic city.

she was fatally wounded with a shot to the eye and her clouds
subsequently blown to smithereens. irene was buried at sea in
keeping with the isobaric tradition. apparently, us citizens need
never fear any storm of any kind again. ever.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What I want to know is, what country are we going to retaliate against for the damage done to our shores?

A

A window to the soul

FEMA Assistance

Some of you might find this useful. If you have damages or had to evacuate due to Huricanne Irene, here's some information from the Federal Emergency Management Agency's website (FEMA):

FEMA encourages all individuals who have damages or have had to evacuate because of a federally declared disaster to apply for disaster assistance.
There are three ways to register for FEMA/state assistance.

1. You may register online at www.disasterassistance.gov, or
  2. Call the toll-free registration number at 1-800-621-FEMA (3362). If you have a speech disability or hearing loss and use a TTY, call 1-800-462-7585 directly; if you use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), call 1-800-621-3362, or
  3. If Disaster Recovery Centers have been established in your area, they can assist you in the registration process.
After you register, you will receive a pamphlet in the mail titled, "Help After A Disaster, An Applicant's Guide to the Individuals and Households Program." Please read it carefully; this pamphlet should answer most of your questions and provide information about other programs that may be able to assist in your recovery efforts.

Information by state:

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Haven't had time to read this thread, but I very much hope that for any of you in affected areas, you and yours are all ok.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
These pictures are impressive {link}.

enhanced-buzz-9711-1314561739-9.jpg

Margaretville, NY

enhanced-buzz-9697-1314576306-10.jpg

Margaretville, NY

enhanced-buzz-9704-1314582170-12.jpg

Fairhaven, MA

enhanced-buzz-27594-1314591125-0.jpg

Vermont

New England did not handle the rain well. Imagine if it had still been hurricane force winds as well.

gromit

likes this
Here's a video of near where my mom's family is. They are all okay. This is a place on the river we used to go to see water skiing. In the top picture, the edge of the water is usually by where the boats are in the back right, but you can see how far the river is swollen.

307014_264069766945211_100000265704994_1021157_5642145_n.jpg

317024_264170730268448_100000265704994_1021481_3436512_n.jpg