• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hurricane Irene

A

A window to the soul

Here are a few photos I took of my yard a couple of days following hurricane Ike in 2008. Hurricane Ike was a category 2 hurricane. We did not have any flooding in my neighborhood.

Every square inch of the ground is covered with stuff like this...
Picture109.jpg

Front yard looking out into street, obliterated red bud tree and uprooted pine tree:
Picture076.jpg

Picture016.jpg

Picture043.jpg

Picture102.jpg

Picture022.jpg

Uprooted tree:
Picture107.jpg

My tree fell on neighbor's house:
Picture056.jpg

Atomic Fiend

That's nothing, I remember vividly the shock of finding my patio on top of my house during one of the 3 storms that hit in 04. That was nice.

LEGERdeMAIN

after bertha I was without power for two weeks, had to distill pond water and kill geese to survive. It was kinda like that one movie with tom hanks and that other movie about the guy who dies of starvation in alaska.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just checked the news, and it seems good. I guess there are some dry bands that are weakening Irene. It's down from a Cat 3 to a Cat 2, and will work it's way up the first part of the coast as a Cat 1. People further up the coast should be getting a tropical storm instead of a hurricane.

Nope, NYC is getting a hurricane.

Atomic Fiend

after bertha I was without power for two weeks, had to distill pond water and kill geese to survive. It was kinda like that one movie with tom hanks and that other movie about the guy who dies of starvation in alaska.

That's funny, I had to go two weeks without power once. I've seen people get into fist fights for gas, I've run out of food before because it all goes rotten. I'm lucky my heater didn't break down or else I'd not be able to shower and have been stinky for a while. It really does become like something out of a movie.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Nope, NYC is getting a hurricane.

Yeah, it looks like it's going to jog to the right a bit, keeping it farther from land. The current eye is dissolving, which WAS good, but may get replaced by a new eye. So it could still get stronger. Hurricanez be crazy.

Looking at a Cat 1 here, but the thing may hit during high tide, making the storm surge worse.

LEGERdeMAIN

getting some wind in eastern NC, lot of rain um...tornado warning for one county last I checked. This reminds me of that one hurricane that fizzled out, but stuck around for a couple of days dropping rain and flooding everything. Can't remember the name of that one. oh cool, lost satellite signal for about ten minutes, it just came back on. *back to watching HSN*

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do you think that a movie will be made about this in the next couple of years?

And if so, will it be in 3D with cutting edge CGI impressive enough to deem plot and character development unnecessary?

Will it make the perfect storm and The Perfect Storm look like a light rain shower?

Oh no doubt it will make money!

A

A window to the soul

I've been watching the weather channel and I'm thinking about y'all on the east coast. As it turns out this is a category 1 hurricane, but just as bad as a category 2 because of the enormity in size of this thing; it just keeps going and going. When everyone that's in the path of this storm gets back online, please report how you're doing with pics.

Hang in there!! Be safe!

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ugh, I'm up north, and seems like they are not sure up here. They want us to be prepared, but I have a sense that we will be fine. I have to work tomorrow though, (nurse) and am trying to figure out some doggy daycare, I'm in a home that could easily flood and have a lot of issues. I'm thinking I may bring him to work and keep him in a crate there.

A

A window to the soul

Ugh, I'm up north, and seems like they are not sure up here. They want us to be prepared, but I have a sense that we will be fine. I have to work tomorrow though, (nurse) and am trying to figure out some doggy daycare, I'm in a home that could easily flood and have a lot of issues. I'm thinking I may bring him to work and keep him in a crate there.

Good idea! I bet your pup will appreciate that. :)

Yeah, it may be rough going for a few hours as the storm passes through, but it's nothing you can't ride out, if you’re hunkered down in a safe place. Hopefully it loses strength by the time it gets to you, but you're right about flooding. Everyone in its path should take flooding into consideration and make sure pets and important documents/possessions are on higher ground. If you work in a hospital, that's a safe place to be. They should also have backup power generators. North Carolina reported upwards near 90 MPH winds this morning.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Good idea! I bet your pup will appreciate that. :)

Yeah, it may be rough going for a few hours as the storm passes through, but it's nothing you can't ride out, if you’re hunkered down in a safe place. Hopefully it loses strength by the time it gets to you, but you're right about flooding. Everyone in its path should take flooding into consideration and make sure pets and important documents/possessions are on higher ground. If you work in a hospital, that's a safe place to be. They should also have backup power generators. North Carolina has reported upwards near 90 MPH winds this morning.

Unfortunately, I work in a rehab/ nursing home, (which means I will be in charge of part of the building) and have to make it a safe place to be. The building seems pretty secure though, and the second a warning hits, I'm making those necessary phone calls. I don't want to complicate work by bringing the dog, but I also don't want to complicate work by leaving him in a possibly unsafe home and having to deal with the dog from afar on top of dealing with the building, and my heart breaks every time I think of bringing him to a kennel for the night. :cry:

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
The rain just started here. I'd say my immediate area's biggest concern is the flooding, especially since most of us are either right by the ocean or bay. Some crazy people have stayed near the ocean, even gallivanted on the beach earlier, despite a lot of mandatory evacuations going on :shock:.

A lot of people on my facebook are having hurricane parties if they are staying put in their homes. Can't do much better after making all of the recommended preparations :shrug:. I know I've got my Sangria lol

A

A window to the soul

Unfortunately, I work in a rehab/ nursing home, (which means I will be in charge of part of the building) and have to make it a safe place to be. The building seems pretty secure though, and the second a warning hits, I'm making those necessary phone calls. I don't want to complicate work by bringing the dog, but I also don't want to complicate work by leaving him in a possibly unsafe home and having to deal with the dog from afar on top of dealing with the building, and my heart breaks every time I think of bringing him to a kennel for the night. :cry:

Sounds like they're in good hands.

The latest weather report is that the eye of this storm is getting really well organized. Possibly gaining strength?

I've got to sign off now. I'm thinking about y'all. Keep the faith!

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Some crazy people have stayed near the ocean, even gallivanted on the beach earlier, despite a lot of mandatory evacuations going on :shock:.

A surfer drowned about 10 miles from where I'm bunkering down. Apparently, he lost his board while out in the water. His friends ran in and rescued him, but he died at the hospital. As his friends left the hospital they told the news they were headed back to the beach for some more surfing. :doh:

Actually though, things are pretty calm right now.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's pretty rainy and windy here, but we still have power. Nearly a million don't.