First 1234 Last

Thread: Hurricane Irene

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

This will be interesting. I'm staying for a Cat 2, but if it's going to be a Cat 3 when it hits us I'll likely exit the area. I've been through a Cat 1, and even that can be fairly devastating.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    This will be interesting. I'm staying for a Cat 2, but if it's going to be a Cat 3 when it hits us I'll likely exit the area. I've been through a Cat 1, and even that can be fairly devastating.
    Isabel was a category 1 when it got to us here, but it didn't do anything to my neighborhood. Which is strange because we've had floods and significant power outages from thunderstorms.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Isabel was a category 1 when it got to us here, but it didn't do anything to my neighborhood. Which is strange because we've had floods and significant power outages from thunderstorms.
    I'm in the Hampton Roads area at the southeast portion of the state, and Isabel tore us up. Storm surge was the biggest issue, really. The rest of it was mainly a lot of debris. A friend of mine didn't get power restored for 2 weeks, though.

Before this hurricane I sort of figured that a 2 or higher would warrant leaving the area, but now that a 2 is coming upon us, I can't be bothered. Heh.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    I was worried about my place in DC but supposedly Irene will just be a 'heavy thunderstorm' by the time it gets there, or so my property manager tells me. Bah.

I slept through Isabel - that was the one 6+ years ago? And I lived in a crappy neighborhood too that would easily get ignored by utility companies. We had no damage or outages.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Not going to lie, I have no idea what to do. I'm just making sure my e-reader is charged and I've got tons of candles and peanut butter pretzels.
    Why is it I didn't even need to see who posted this to know who it was?

If you are going to be in the storm's way, I suggest ensuring your car is parked on as high of ground as possible. The only problems I ran into with Ike was that the ground was SO saturated that a freak flash-flood that happened right after the hurricane passed flooded the back of my car.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTJ

It's definitely starting to look bad out here and rain some but it probably won't be too rough. Luckily, my building is built like a castle and has probably existed for as long. Unfortunately...my bike is in an uncovered gravel parking lot.

Damn nature always ruining weekends.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Ah, you are in NC? Good luck! Hopefully that bike is chained up good, though.

Edit: Actually, I have no idea how one would go about anchoring a bike during a hurricane...

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Just checked the news, and it seems good. I guess there are some dry bands that are weakening Irene. It's down from a Cat 3 to a Cat 2, and will work it's way up the first part of the coast as a Cat 1. People further up the coast should be getting a tropical storm instead of a hurricane.

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    Just checked the news, and it seems good. I guess there are some dry bands that are weakening Irene. It's down from a Cat 3 to a Cat 2, and will work it's way up the first part of the coast as a Cat 1. People further up the coast should be getting a tropical storm instead of a hurricane.
    There's no guarantee of that. Are you in Irene's path? If you're a Yankee that's never ridden out a cat 2 hurricane (or even a cat 1), you might consider getting the hell of its way. A cat 1 hurricane will be much worse than any thunderstorm you've seen. Projectiles fly around, even during a cat 1 hurricane, and with a storm this size it will go on for hours. If this storm passes over your area, you *will* lose power and roads *will* be covered with debris immediately after the storm, making them unsafe and some undriveable. When power is out, traffic lights don’t work.

I'll see if I can dig up my pictures from the hurricane Ike aftermath, which passed directly over Houston where I live. It was a cat 2 hurricane. My family evacuated, but I stayed with my pup to hold down the fort. It was amazing to watch. I heard all kinds of stuff hitting my house. There was so much debris flying around outside that when I looked out the window, I couldn’t see beyond a few feet. I could hear the sounds of fences falling over all around me, limbs snapping, and trees falling. The huge pine tree in my yard fell on my next door neighbor’s house. We had a citywide power outage. It took 10-days for the power to get restored to my street. There are only so many resources after a storm like this, so it takes time for the roads to get cleared and power to get restored to a large city.

From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

Spooky how hurricane Irene has a similar track to the 1821 Norfolk and Long Island Hurricane....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1821_No...land_hurricane
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche