• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Earthquake Centered in VA

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Maybe the earth will just break apart.

goats

MBTI Type
INTP
Coworker just asked me if I felt the earth quake. i just said 'what earth quake?'.
Up in Toronto we didn't feel much it seems.

jimrckhnd

MBTI Type
INTP
I miss all the fun stuff. Really mother nature? You couldn't have pushed this forward just a few weeks???

No kidding. We got jolted a bit here but I really noticed very little. Every good geologist wants to be in a decent earthquake. I'm very disaspointed. :cry:

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wasn't even aware the East Coast could have earthquakes
emot-psyduck.gif

Any smart person out there know the geological explanation behind this?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Windows, doors, and things on wall rattling -- York, PA.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Talked to my mother in SC and nothing happened there.
It's about time you guys on the east side got a little surfin' 'da earth action!

jimrckhnd

MBTI Type
INTP
I wasn't even aware the East Coast could have earthquakes
emot-psyduck.gif

Any smart person out there know the geological explanation behind this?

I can tackle the explanation - smart or not is up to you.

Most quakes take place along "active margins" where plate subduction is taking place - Japan or the northern west coast. The southern to mid west coast is odd in that it has a transverse fault (plates moving past each other instead of one plate getting subducted under another).

However, on passive margins (no subduction) like the US east coast there are old faults dating back from when it was an active margin. These faults are mostly inactive but... sometimes the activate often to due to deroofing/sediment unloading (as the rock above them erodes the compressive forces reduce), sometimes due to isostatic rebound (from the retreat of ice sheets for example) or even drilling or occasionally mining activity. In this case I'm guessing (will have to look at the data as it comes out in the weeks and months ahead) that and old fault reactivated pretty close to the margin of the piedmont and coastal plain. My money is on erosonial forces finally allowing a fault to reactivate. It may be a reverse fault - in which case the accumulation of sediment on the coastal plain may have had a role.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
7kDXs.jpg

DEVASTATION IN WASHINGTON DC:
jMySO.jpg
LMAO :laugh:

I was thinking the along the same lines. My country is still trying to recover from a couple of serious quakes, so forgive me if I'm not super impressed.

However, I do realise they're pretty rare in Eastern North America and it's probably pretty exciting and dramatic for those who live there.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My country is still trying to recover from a couple of serious quakes, so forgive me if I'm not super impressed.

However, I do realise they're pretty rare in Eastern North America and it's probably pretty exciting and dramatic for those who live there.

Hey now, our 5.8 isn't too far from your 6.3!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hey now, our 5.8 isn't too far from your 6.3!

Well, it's logarithmic, right? I mean, not too far, but further than it might seem.

From wiki:
The expression Richter magnitude scale refers to a number of ways to assign a single number to quantify the energy contained in an earthquake.

In all cases, the magnitude is a base-10 logarithmic scale obtained by calculating the logarithm of the amplitude of waves measured by a seismograph. An earthquake that measures 5.0 on the Richter scale has a shaking amplitude 10 times larger than one that measures 4.0.

So it's still five times larger amplitude than ours.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, it's logarithmic, right? I mean, not too far, but further than it might seem.

From wiki:

So it's still five times larger amplitude than ours.

Don't go using facts!