• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Earthquake Centered in VA

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah the floor beneath me was perfectly calm and stable (it's all concrete underneath), but the walls of my office were bending/swaying. I don't have a window but a coworker who does said the lamp posts outside were swaying pretty good. We had no idea what happened, thought maybe a tractor trailer had hit the building or something (this was before I'd heard about the lamp posts)... Couldn't find anything on the USGS site for a few minutes at first!

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i didn't feel it but my bf did at work.

jimrckhnd

MBTI Type
INTP
Yeah the floor beneath me was perfectly calm and stable (it's all concrete underneath), but the walls of my office were bending/swaying. I don't have a window but a coworker who does said the lamp posts outside were swaying pretty good. We had no idea what happened, thought maybe a tractor trailer had hit the building or something (this was before I'd heard about the lamp posts)... Couldn't find anything on the USGS site for a few minutes at first!

Thats because every geologist in the Midatlantic who has it bookmarked hammered the site about 2 seconds after they felt the shock. :smile:

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
People were freaking out on my really high floor in NYC. It was amusing if a bit ridiculous.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Hey now, our 5.8 isn't too far from your 6.3!

Well, it's logarithmic, right? I mean, not too far, but further than it might seem.

From wiki:

So it's still five times larger amplitude than ours.
Yeah. And even then, magnitude often doesn't really explain it enough.

The original 7.1 in NZ didn't do too much damage and no one was killed. The aftershock was weaker but shallower and centred directly beneath a major city. The damage was much more serious and there were quite a few fatalities. So magnitude doesn't tend to be a reflection of actual damage; The Mercalli Intensity Scale can be a better gauge for this.

However, peak ground acceleration is probably the best measurement, as it is used in building codes to reflect true forces on structures. This was huge in Christchurch's February aftershock. It was 2.2g (That's twice the force of gravity!) at the epicentre and averaged 1.8g - this would completely level many of even the most modern cities. By comparison the Haiti earthquake was a 7.0 magnitude but averaged 0.5g in ground acceleration. A lot of the differences in result can be put down to building standards.

...sorry... I've just read a lot about this stuff in the last year... :blush:

Regardless of all this, its great no one was badly hurt in the US and no major damage was done. I can tell you the numerous, ongoing problems of a serious earthquake are absolutely mindboggling, and it really is a blessing to be spared it. Its hard enough here, I can't possibly imagine what its been like in Japan and Haiti. :shock:

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There was some damage:

EQECAT, a California-based firm that helps insurance companies determine catastrophe risks, estimated that the quake, which rocked the East Coast from Georgia to Ontario, caused $200 million to $300 million in damage. Less than $100 million is insured.

I slept thru the 4.5 aftershock last night.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was operating a train over a bridge at that time and didn't feel anything. When I got to the other terminal, I saw on TV a diagram of something centered in VA, and thought it was talking about the hurricane, and wondered how it got up there so fast!).

mujigay

Intergalactic Badass
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Speaking as someone from Japan, I had a good laugh at all the fuss over the quake.

I suppose it might have been fairly disturbing to someone who'd been on the East Coast of the states all their life, though.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Speaking as someone from Japan, I had a good laugh at all the fuss over the quake.

I suppose it might have been fairly disturbing to someone who'd been on the East Coast of the states all their life, though.

I grew up in the midwest, moved to D.C. in 2002, so that means I've never felt an earthquake before. Heard one last summer here, but didn't feel anything. It was pretty minor.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I'm sure you guys and the US west coasters did have a good laugh, this was nothing compared to what you deal with.

Then again, many east coasters have never experienced an earthquake before, and our cities are not really built to deal with earthquakes either, nor are there procedures in place for dealing with them efficiently.

And, while this might be reaching, the 10th anniversary of 9/11 is coming up within the month. That happened on the east coast, it was a huge deal, and I think people might be a little on edge / hypersensitive because of it. No one knew what was happening when 9/11 unfolded, and now there was this tremor and some people had trouble recognizing it for what it was... it's another potential freak-out moment.

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
Then again, many east coasters have never experienced an earthquake before, and our cities are not really built to deal with earthquakes either, nor are there procedures in place for dealing with them efficiently.

Yeah, really.

It cracked the Washington monument, among other buildings.

mujigay

Intergalactic Badass
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I'm sure you guys and the US west coasters did have a good laugh, this was nothing compared to what you deal with.

And, while this might be reaching, the 10th anniversary of 9/11 is coming up within the month. That happened on the east coast, it was a huge deal, and I think people might be a little on edge / hypersensitive because of it. No one knew what was happening when 9/11 unfolded, and now there was this tremor and some people had trouble recognizing it for what it was... it's another potential freak-out moment.

Hmmm. That wasn't actually a point that I had considered. Yeah, that would be a pretty good damn reason to be terrified.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just found out there was an aftershock this morning.

Woke up 10 minutes before it and 5 minutes after it. Slept right through the actual aftershock.