123 Last

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Default Gender identity difference has higher occurance in individuals with asd

According to a study conducted in the Netherlands there may be much higher occurance of GID in individuals with Autistic Spectrum Disorders (than non asd individuals).

Below i have pasted an abstract and provided a link to the study report.
    I would like to ask if anyone has any other information to suggest a link or any other evidence to suggest so.
    I would also like to ask if anyone has any annecdotal evidence as i believe this is also important.
    Thank you.

Abstract
    Only case reports have described the co-occurrence of gender identity disorder (GID)
    and autism spectrum disorders (ASD). This study examined this co-occurrence using a
    systematic approach. Children and adolescents (115 boys and 89 girls, mean age 10.8,
    SD=3.58) referred to a gender identity clinic received a standardized assessment during
    which a GID diagnosis was made and ASD suspected cases were identified. The Dutch
    version of the Diagnostic Interview for Social and Communication Disorders (10th rev.,
    DISCO-10) was administered to ascertain ASD classifications. The incidence of ASD in
    this sample of children and adolescents was 7.8% (n=16). Clinicians should be aware of
    co-occurring ASD and GID and the challenges it generates in clinical management.

LINK....
    http://dare.ubvu.vu.nl/bitstream/187.../chapter_4.pdf

FOR CLARITY: Gender Identity Difference is commonly referred to as "Gender Identity Disorder" or "Gender Dysmorphia".
    As i do not like the negative connotations of the words "Disorder" or "Dysmorphia" I have used the more nuetral term of "Difference".
    Last edited by Betty Blue; 08-23-2011 at 04:55 PM.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Intruiging. As someone with ASD (aspergers specifically) and spiritually androgynous I can definitely concur with the results of this study.

It makes me wonder though as to why individuals with ASD are more likely to have GID; perhaps its due to a mechanical set up of how the brain works for these individuals; those with any degree of autism have brains that do function differently from others (exactly how, I think if one imagines a normal brain as a computer, than one with ASD just has too many wires in the hardrive or something like that).

Although I worry, as it is entirely possible that the study is but an uncanny correleation, and not a definite cause as to why individuals with GID are more likely to ASD.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

It's kind of funny, though, because in all the transpeople I've met in my life, only 3-4 have been diagnosed with some type of autism (whether full blown or something like Asperger's). One of them, interestingly, was a F2M and so would be classified as female Asperger's (and she was a definite extreme case). So in terms of anecdotal evidence, I would not say my experience here in the States reflects the outcome of this overseas study.

I also have wondered independently if Asperger's is becoming the ADHD of the 21st century, in terms of overdiagnosis.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

This topic was confusing to me, because the title says "difference" and the op says "disorder." I had to do a double-take a couple times. That makes it a quadruple-take.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    This topic was confusing to me, because the title says "difference" and the op says "disorder." I had to do a double-take a couple times. That makes it a quadruple-take.

Yes my appologies.
    I did edit the Op to explain after posting but my connection was playing up and i had not realised it didn't post.
    I shall re-edit now.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Thanks for your imput Savage Idealist.
    I am visiting the Tavistock and Portman in a couple of weeks which is the Gender Identity Difference for the U.K.
    I understand from speaking to a phychiatrist there that they have done some research/studies themselves or at least have information on research/studies.
    I shall post this information once i have it.
    It will be interesting to see if the results/findings are similar to those in the Netherlands.
    Certainly i understand there is a higher ratio of children and adolescents with asd (than the "norm") from the conversations so far.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    It makes me wonder though as to why individuals with ASD are more likely to have GID;
    If gender is merely a social construct, it makes all kinds of sense: ASD creates indifference to arbitrary social constructs. It's a defining feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer
    It's kind of funny, though, because in all the transpeople I've met in my life, only 3-4 have been diagnosed with some type of autism
    Transsexuality is but one (extreme) manifestation of GID.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Transsexuality is but one (extreme) manifestation of GID.
    While they're not nearly the same (the one is a syndrome, the other a solution... in the most general sense), I think they're more interwoven than that since there is no real effective resolution to adult GID depending upon the severity -- which is bad to start with if they are bothering to be diagnosed with it to begin with.

(Childhood GID is different, since sometimes it resolves itself and/or results in a non-het orientation instead. Of course, now that I refresh myself with the thread, the research was done on kids and adolescents, so...)

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    While they're not nearly the same (the one is a syndrome, the other a solution... in the most general sense), I think they're more interwoven than that since there is no real effective resolution to adult GID depending upon the severity -- which is bad to start with if they are bothering to be diagnosed with it to begin with.
    My point is that transsexualism is a solution that reinforces the gender binary - a solution that molds the individual to societal norms. So the fact that, anecdotally, you find no correlation between ASD and transsexualism doesn't necessarily say anything about the relationship between GID and ASD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    My point is that transsexualism is a solution that reinforces the gender binary - a solution that molds the individual to societal norms. So the fact that, anecdotally, you find no correlation between ASD and transsexualism doesn't necessarily say anything about the relationship between GID and ASD.
    Thank you for clarifying. I will note that transsexuality is not actually about 'conforming to societal norms,' it's about conforming to the internal sense of self' which might or might not reflect societal norms, and it is becoming more and more individualized with each generation (the Boomer transpeople tend to conform far more to gender stereotypes in their expression, while the Gen Y and younger crowd contain much more variety).

However, since ASD typically has trouble even recognizing the norm, let alone reflecting it, I can now see where you're going with this.