User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 31

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    2,841

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    If gender is merely a social construct, it makes all kinds of sense: ASD creates indifference to arbitrary social constructs. It's a defining feature.
    Indeed Especially considering the 'indifference to arbitrary social constructs part'; that's so me

  2. #12
    Junior Member omglookitsagoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    It's kind of funny, though, because in all the transpeople I've met in my life, only 3-4 have been diagnosed with some type of autism (whether full blown or something like Asperger's). One of them, interestingly, was a F2M and so would be classified as female Asperger's (and she was a definite extreme case). So in terms of anecdotal evidence, I would not say my experience here in the States reflects the outcome of this overseas study.

    I also have wondered independently if Asperger's is becoming the ADHD of the 21st century, in terms of overdiagnosis.

    I wonder if Asperger's is over-diagnosed too. My mom has suggested a few times that I might have it, but I really don't think so. Maybe Is and especially ITs seem like it to EF types? I read the symptoms of Asperger's online and hardly have any of them. The only thing I have in common with Asperger's is that I'm not very social, but there are far more traits than that so I understand.

  3. #13
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by omglookitsagoat View Post
    I wonder if Asperger's is over-diagnosed too. My mom has suggested a few times that I might have it, but I really don't think so. Maybe Is and especially ITs seem like it to EF types? I read the symptoms of Asperger's online and hardly have any of them. The only thing I have in common with Asperger's is that I'm not very social, but there are far more traits than that so I understand.
    From my interactions with hardcore diagnosed Aspies, INTs seem to have problems with social cues (either "grasping" them or caring enough to grasp them), but after struggle can develop some competence with it; but for Aspies, it's like the social cues are literally invisible and even when they try, it's like trying to hear someone speak a foreign language they haven't studied just by guessing random strings of syllables/words that sound like they could be right.

    It's also kind of a weird mix between TJ traits and TP traits -- there's a lot of abstraction and conceptualization involved (which is like ITP), but there also seems to be a high need for clarity and detail and structure (TJ), and the two are in competition with each other. Usually I just experience one or the other as stronger in a non-Aspie person.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  4. #14
    Junior Member omglookitsagoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    From my interactions with hardcore diagnosed Aspies, INTs seem to have problems with social cues (either "grasping" them or caring enough to grasp them), but after struggle can develop some competence with it; but for Aspies, it's like the social cues are literally invisible and even when they try, it's like trying to hear someone speak a foreign language they haven't studied just by guessing random strings of syllables/words that sound like they could be right.

    It's also kind of a weird mix between TJ traits and TP traits -- there's a lot of abstraction and conceptualization involved (which is like ITP), but there also seems to be a high need for clarity and detail and structure (TJ), and the two are in competition with each other. Usually I just experience one or the other as stronger in a non-Aspie person.
    Interesting observation.

    I'm curious, Jennifer, is your mbti INTP or socionics INTp? Socionics is a little different than mbti. Socionics INTp is more like mbti INTJ. Just askin'

  5. #15
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by omglookitsagoat View Post
    Interesting observation.

    I'm curious, Jennifer, is your mbti INTP or socionics INTp? Socionics is a little different than mbti. Socionics INTp is more like mbti INTJ. Just askin'
    I know. I'm actually nowhere close to an mbti intj.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  6. #16
    Junior Member omglookitsagoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I know. I'm actually nowhere close to an mbti intj.
    ok just wondering because I think most people who use socionics write their type with one lowercase if they're introverted. Usually the one at the end. EG: socionics INTj = mbti INTP. I don't think socionics is as accurate as mbti so I don't like it as much.

    The reason introverted types have a lowercase at the end and uppercase for the 1st 3 letters is because socionics types people by which function is their dominant. T and F are considered J functions. S and N are considered P functions. That is why mbti INTP = socionics INTj. This causes confusion to people and it seems like a lot of people mix up some of the mbti J and P traits and the socionics descriptions sound like hybrid mbti INTP and INTJ descriptions a lot of the time. That's why I don't think it's as accurate. Also because there's a lot of socionics theory that isn't supported by many professionals. For example, according to socionics.com, you can tell a person's type by their physical appearance. I'm not sure I buy that.

  7. #17
    Member MiriMiriAru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    52

    Default

    This is quite interesting, especially as I seem to fit this (possibly, in that I had been diagnosed with Asperger's in high school, but if it was correct, it's an incredibly mild form, and I don't really have a lot of faith that the school counselor was qualified to make that diagnosis).

    Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    My point is that transsexualism is a solution that reinforces the gender binary - a solution that molds the individual to societal norms. So the fact that, anecdotally, you find no correlation between ASD and transsexualism doesn't necessarily say anything about the relationship between GID and ASD.
    While gender roles, or presentation, are definitely social constructs, gender identity, I would argue, is not, or at least not entirely. Considering that transsexualism generally (not in all cases, for various reasons) results in some degree of change to the body, through hormone therapy and/or surgery, and physical sex is most definitely not a social construct, a rejection of social norms and constructs and the holding of a clear binary gender identity are not mutually exclusive.
    Ni Fe Ti Ne Fi Te Si Se
    RLUEI (RlUx|I|)
    5w4, 4w5, 9w8

    My Blog

  8. #18
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie Jesus View Post
    This is quite interesting, especially as I seem to fit this (possibly, in that I had been diagnosed with Asperger's in high school, but if it was correct, it's an incredibly mild form, and I don't really have a lot of faith that the school counselor was qualified to make that diagnosis).
    I'd be surprised. My consistent experience with Aspberger patients is that they aren't even aware of the social cues and become frustrated trying to understand them, whereas you seem to have a heightened awareness. I'd also expect you to have more problems with Avoidant-style issues than Schizoid-style issues.

    Quote Originally Posted by omglookitsagoat View Post
    ok just wondering because I think most people who use socionics write their type with one lowercase if they're introverted. Usually the one at the end. EG: socionics INTj = mbti INTP. I don't think socionics is as accurate as mbti so I don't like it as much.
    If you notice, I lowered the t, not the P. This is not Socionics convention. In reality, it's not really any sort of convention, I was just acknowledging that to some people, they see I have a strong awareness of F perspective/concerns, and typically I allow my N to lead while my T is sitting back and observing and figuring things out. But really, it's non-official terminology.

    The reason introverted types have a lowercase at the end and uppercase for the 1st 3 letters is because socionics types people by which function is their dominant. T and F are considered J functions. S and N are considered P functions. That is why mbti INTP = socionics INTj. This causes confusion to people and it seems like a lot of people mix up some of the mbti J and P traits and the socionics descriptions sound like hybrid mbti INTP and INTJ descriptions a lot of the time.
    Yes, I'm very aware of that. In a nutshell, Socionics uses J/P to label the dominant, whereas MBTI uses it to label the extraverted function. I identify more with the MBTI descriptions, personally.

    That's why I don't think it's as accurate.
    Both are frameworks of looking at people, so how would we determine "accurate?" It's almost like saying T is more "accurate" than F, for example, or vice versa.

    But I find MBTI more useful since it's easier to observe the extraverted function, whereas you can only see an introverted dominant indirectly.

    Also because there's a lot of socionics theory that isn't supported by many professionals. For example, according to socionics.com, you can tell a person's type by their physical appearance. I'm not sure I buy that.
    Socionics is not really standardized in the same way MBTI seems to be. There's various schools, and not all support the "personality based on appearance" theory, which I personally see as about as accurate as phrenology. I'm willing to consider that psychological bent can change to a degree the amount a person engages the environment and uses their body, which can impact body development; but the degree to which this is taken by some Sociologists seems absurd to me and unsupportable.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  9. #19
    ⒺⓉⒷ Eric B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    3,438

    Default

    I once briefly pondered GID issues, and even discussed this with Jennifer a bit, but since then, I've determined that it is really mid-life issues involving the anima. The anima or inferior complex would contain all those images suppressed from the dominant ego perspective (such as the function and orientation, etc), and I believe, would also include a sense of the opposite gender. It's something you want to connect with in some way, and yet remains out of reach. And if the ego has felt frustrated in life in its goals and world-view, then this opposite perspective becomes even more of a curiosity.

    I had been wondering what ASD actually does to the functional preference or the cognitive profile in general. I'm thinking one thing it might do is bring some of the archetypal images more into consciousness than for normal people. Hence, identifying more with the opposite gender, and therefore seeing to have possible gender identity issues. Also, all the other ways in which they think differently. They would in that case be aware of a lot of kinds of data and imagery that most people squelch from consciousness. (And thus seem meaningless to others).
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

    Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

  10. #20
    Member MiriMiriAru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I'd be surprised. My consistent experience with Aspberger patients is that they aren't even aware of the social cues and become frustrated trying to understand them, whereas you seem to have a heightened awareness. I'd also expect you to have more problems with Avoidant-style issues than Schizoid-style issues.
    I did say I didn't have a lot of confidence in her abilities

    I think she took a very superficial view of things, and saw my habitual avoidance of eye contact and poor understanding of social cues to mean something more than the fact that I had been largely socially isolated for the 8 years before she saw me. I think that there is a strong tendency to over diagnose with Asperger's, because the diagnostic criteria are very vague, and very broad. Being socially awkward isn't always, or even most of the time, a sign of an ASD.

    So yeah, having slept on it, this study seems a bit... bollocks. I can see though, how many with GID could get a misdiagnosis of Asperger's, especially if they are introverted thinking types, as the frequently attendant depression (perhaps coupled with a naturally reticent personality) could cause a social withdrawal that could be seen as something other than what it is.
    Ni Fe Ti Ne Fi Te Si Se
    RLUEI (RlUx|I|)
    5w4, 4w5, 9w8

    My Blog

Similar Threads

  1. A Spacetime Anomaly Has Occurred in This Location
    By Reborn Relic in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-02-2016, 06:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO