User Tag List

Thread: Anti viral drug

MBTI
    INTP

Default Anti viral drug

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2011/antiviral-0810.html

"New drug could cure nearly any viral infection

Researchers at MIT’s Lincoln Lab have developed technology that may someday cure the common cold, influenza and other ailments."

This looks very promising. The really cool part is that it doesn't look like it could be applied to a very broad range of diseases. Nice piece of work.

While this is somewhat trivial - can you imagine having the common cold finally just about beaten?
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

This could be great in terms of serious illnesses. They don't mention HIV but say that in theory it could work on all viruses. Wow, can you imagine in it did?

But as much as I dislike colds and the flu, I think it may be a bad idea to cure them. I think our bodies need at least an occasional workout for our immune system.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

In cases of HIV, it may be used, but it will not be the sole treatment. The fact is that if the apoptotic mechanism is not functioning correctly, then the treatment will not be as effective - a key point to consider since certain types of cancers are now being associated with viruses. But the apoptotic or (immunological) detection domains can be impaired in other diseases as well, including methods of circumvention initiated by the viruses themselves.

Note that this has only been demonstrated for dsRNA viruses so far. It is also interesting to consider what specificity it might have for dsRNA phages and how this may upset the balance of gut flora.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    This could be great in terms of serious illnesses. They don't mention HIV but say that in theory it could work on all viruses. Wow, can you imagine in it did?

But as much as I dislike colds and the flu, I think it may be a bad idea to cure them. I think our bodies need at least an occasional workout for our immune system.

Not to mention that without colds and flu it would be harder to come up with a viable excuse for getting out of something unpleasant.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    Not to mention that without colds and flu it would be harder to come up with a viable excuse for getting out of something unpleasant.
    LOL. True...
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

A new “Superdrug” developed by experts at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology might be capable of healing any virus from Ebola to the common cold. The drug is a long way from human trials, but it shows a lot of promise by attacking the genetic structure of viruses. MIT creates Superdrug that may be capable to destroy all viruses. The new “superdrug” called DRACO has the potential to kill any and all viruses. The whole procedure including the minutest details will soon be revealed through PLoS ONE. These viruses include rhinovirus, H1N1 influenza strains, adenoviruses, stomach viruses like reovirus, polio stain, dengue fever and a number of hemorrhagic arenavirus and bunyavirus. These diseases are very common in the third world countries and they have even led to death of victims eventually, thus, finding a treatment is very important.

However, DRACO is not going to be available for some time. The researchers estimate it will be a decade before animal and human trials will have concluded and DRACO will be available for human use.