User Tag List

First 12

I posted my Qs on my Facebook and a friend pointed out one of the glaring drawbacks to be overcome: G-force. How could that be mitigated? What sort of G-forces are astronauts up against and how would this compare?
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

FigerPuppet

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    I posted my Qs on my Facebook and a friend pointed out one of the glaring drawbacks to be overcome: G-force. How could that be mitigated? What sort of G-forces are astronauts up against and how would this compare?
    Space Shuttle astronauts never experience more than 3 g's. The Falcon HTV-2 used a Minotaur IV Lite rocket in order to reach Mach 20 and the altitude needed for the test. This rocket is a modified Peacekeeper ICBM. The number of g's a person would be subjected to depends on the acceleration provided to the vehicle by the rocket. I wasn't able to find the average acceleration rate for the Minotaur IV Lite specifically, nor any benchmarks I could use to calculate it, but I did find benchmarks for the regular Minotaur IV rocket with a 1022 kg payload - I'm not going to bother deducting the effect this has. (Source)
    The first three stages (the rocket is divided into separable parts that are removed as they empty of fuel - the Lite-version only has three stages, where the regular version has four) of the rocket provided an average acceleration rate of 39,56 m/s^2. This is equal to 4 g's. The peak g-force exposure takes place in the 3rd. stage where the rocket reaches an average rate of acceleration of approximately 48,77 m/s^2 over 55 seconds - this is roughly equal to being exposed to 5 g's for 55 seconds. This means that with the right suit a human could be placed on the HTV-2 and not be injured - given that it doesn't crash into the ocean again.

Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    Space Shuttle stronauts never experience more than 3 g's. The Falcon HTV-2 used a Minotaur IV Lite rocket in order to reach Mach 20 and the altitude needed for the test. This rocket is a modified Peacekeeper ICBM. The number of g's a person would be subjected to depends on the acceleration provided to the vehicle by the rocket. I wasn't able to find the average acceleration rate for the Minotaur IV Lite specifically, nor any benchmarks I could use to calculate it, but I did find benchmarks for the regular Minotaur IV rocket with a 1022 kg payload - I'm not going to bother deducting the effect this has. (Source)
    The first three stages (the rocket is divided into separable parts that are removed as they empty of fuel - the Lite-version only has three stages, where the regular version has four) of the rocket provided an average acceleration rate of 39,56 m/s^2. This is equal to 4 g's. The peak g-force exposure takes place in the 3rd. stage where the rocket reaches an average rate of acceleration of approximately 48,77 m/s^2 over 55 seconds - this is roughly equal being exposed to 5 g's for 55 seconds. This means that with the right suit a human could be placed on the HTV-2 and not be injured - given that it doesn't crash into the ocean again.
    Wow, thank you so much!!!!
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    GONE

I'm sure Virgin would make their plane interiors SO HIP it would distract you from your eyeballs getting pushed into the middle of your head.

Anywhoo~ I WANT A TICKET!

OMG, this + bullet trains all over = WIN.

Intergalactic flight will be too pricey and is too far off. But bullet trains? HELL YES.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari