User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 26

  1. #11
    Anew Leaf
    Guest

    Default

    I wonder:

    If all the lights in the universe are actually out but the memo just hasn't arrived here yet.

    What it would really look like to see Jupiter up close and personal.

    What it would be like to be a star all swirling and glowy.

    If there really are multiverses.

  2. #12
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    Boldly go were no one has gone before

    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  3. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    1,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    I wonder:

    If all the lights in the universe are actually out but the memo just hasn't arrived here yet.

    What it would really look like to see Jupiter up close and personal.

    What it would be like to be a star all swirling and glowy.

    If there really are multiverses.
    You need to play video games. They show you all this stuff already.

    Better yet, play video games whilst high.

  4. #14
    Anew Leaf
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    You need to play video games. They show you all this stuff already.

    Better yet, play video games whilst high.
    I used to play video games but I don't anymore. (No time or inclination.)

    Never gotten high with no intention to in the future. (I think we can all agree that I am weird enough on my own. Also I am lazy. Plus it's gross.)

  5. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    1,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    I used to play video games but I don't anymore. (No time or inclination.)

    Never gotten high with no intention to in the future. (I think we can all agree that I am weird enough on my own. Also I am lazy. Plus it's gross.)
    I've been a dragon.

    U jelly?

  6. #16
    Anew Leaf
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    I've been a dragon.

    U jelly?
    mmm, i am more like almond butter actually. a little nutty, and i tend to stick to walls.

    i saw a dragon made out of clouds a few weeks ago! it was eating a tree in its mouth.

  7. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    1,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    mmm, i am more like almond butter actually. a little nutty, and i tend to stick to walls.

    i saw a dragon made out of clouds a few weeks ago! it was eating a tree in its mouth.
    That's cool

    I was all like *woosh* *woosh* *boom*. Really enjoyed it.

  8. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Obviously depends on your definition. If God means an allknowing being, that is always everywhere, hears everyones thoughts and prayers and apparantly must live a few dimensions up from us. Then no. If God means a computer that can process all information the universe throws at it, then yes.
    Right, yes...I definitely wasn't specific enough. But thank you for both sides of the God coin. I meant a computer that could process all information in the universe. And what makes you say yes, if you don't mind me asking? Would it be because we engineered it that way or because it evolved that way in a machine-like self-learning process? The former doesn't seem like a very plausible answer....at least I would think that it would be precedented on the engineer being able to answer all the questions in the universe himself (seems highly unlikely).

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Evolve? No. Unless you count underwater breathing a superpower and the global warming finally engulfs the planet in nothing but water and sees like what happened to that Kevin Costner dude in that water movie, then yes, it's not unthinkable we could adapt to slowly changing environments.

    Mutate through means of gene therapy and such? That holds more potential.
    Hmmm...gene therapy *strokes chin evilly* Yes yesss...much potential.

    I was thinking about this the other day and I wonder if humanity is gradually going to get thinner and thinner. Er, well, I guess what I mean is, I wonder if all the endomorphs will become a minority in the gene pool in the most developed countries. Since food is so plentiful and accessible to most people in developed nations and there's an obesity "epidemic" maybe we'll evolve to adapt to that eventually and body types that store fat easily (important in food scarce times) will not be important anymore.

    It's a bit of a stretch of thinking, but I can't help but think "maybe."

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    There can be a mix of both dads into the sperm genes, but there'll always also need to be a female egg present. Unless you grow the egg in a laboratory but I think there are laws against human cloning or creating human life that way.
    Ah ok. Cloning. Right. So could you use the genes of one person to create a gender specific sex cell (egg or sperm)? I guess if you can create an ear on a rat it wouldn't be a stretch to create and egg cell out of male DNA. But question: if the egg was a clone of the one man and the sperm had the genes of the other, would the baby be a true "clone"? It would still have mixed genetics.

  9. #19
    Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by allegorystory View Post
    Right, yes...I definitely wasn't specific enough. But thank you for both sides of the God coin. I meant a computer that could process all information in the universe. And what makes you say yes, if you don't mind me asking? Would it be because we engineered it that way or because it evolved that way in a machine-like self-learning process? The former doesn't seem like a very plausible answer....at least I would think that it would be precedented on the engineer being able to answer all the questions in the universe himself (seems highly unlikely).
    I think that it is not impossible to know the force, energy, direction, mass, and even the intricities of life as well as full knowledge about the quantum world and everything else in the universe and have it all be processed in the ultimate simulator, and once that is done, we can use that similator to go back to the beginning of time itself! Heck, we can even have the simulator fast forward.

    OH BUT WAIT A MOMENT FLUFFYWOLF! If you can see the future, you can change it, right? Yup! So, does that mean that you create a paradox or a parralel universe? Nope! But how does it work then? Right up until the simultion is observed, the computer can keep up easily, once it is observed, it seems difficult to understand, but really, it's just as simple as the past was for the simulation. You might not realize it but the computer also includes your and the computers actions within the simulation itself, and every time you observe the future, it will account for what you have seen and adjust the future accordingly, so whilest in the present moment, you can look into your future, the moment you stop observing that future in the simulation, that future is already gone. And if you would reobserve the simulation at another time, the future would be entirely different again! And again, the moment you stop observing, that future will be gone. And you will never truely be able to know the exact course of the future because of it. But you can see the futures that -could- have been, if you didn't open pandora's box. So, wait, Fluffy... There are more than one futures? No, just observations of possible ones, but there is always just the present moment, all futures seen have never existed nor came to pass. Oh, ok...



    Quote Originally Posted by allegorystory View Post
    I was thinking about this the other day and I wonder if humanity is gradually going to get thinner and thinner. Er, well, I guess what I mean is, I wonder if all the endomorphs will become a minority in the gene pool in the most developed countries. Since food is so plentiful and accessible to most people in developed nations and there's an obesity "epidemic" maybe we'll evolve to adapt to that eventually and body types that store fat easily (important in food scarce times) will not be important anymore.

    It's a bit of a stretch of thinking, but I can't help but think "maybe."
    I don't think it's that much of a stretch, but it's probably also not as simple as you make it sound. Unless we throw certain types of people with the sharks to help the process along. Obisity is not just behaviour though, for many people it's a genetic disorder. Genetic disorders don't really naturally dissappear unless they can be treated or those people don't procreate. Nature had always had his way with the weak and frail, but now with humans, nature is no longer in charge and those faults will not be weeded out anymore through evolution.



    Quote Originally Posted by allegorystory View Post
    Ah ok. Cloning. Right. So could you use the genes of one person to create a gender specific sex cell (egg or sperm)? I guess if you can create an ear on a rat it wouldn't be a stretch to create and egg cell out of male DNA. But question: if the egg was a clone of the one man and the sperm had the genes of the other, would the baby be a true "clone"? It would still have mixed genetics.
    I don't think it works that way, with chromosomes and shit, females have very specific genes that males don't have and vice versa. If you only took genes from two males, then obviously there would bo no female specific genes present in the offspring. With some luck it might be viable and develop into the ultamale of our species though.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

  10. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    I think that it is not impossible to know the force, energy, direction, mass, and even the intricities of life as well as full knowledge about the quantum world and everything else in the universe and have it all be processed in the ultimate simulator, and once that is done, we can use that similator to go back to the beginning of time itself! Heck, we can even have the simulator fast forward.

    OH BUT WAIT A MOMENT FLUFFYWOLF! If you can see the future, you can change it, right? Yup! So, does that mean that you create a paradox or a parralel universe? Nope! But how does it work then? Right up until the simultion is observed, the computer can keep up easily, once it is observed, it seems difficult to understand, but really, it's just as simple as the past was for the simulation. You might not realize it but the computer also includes your and the computers actions within the simulation itself, and every time you observe the future, it will account for what you have seen and adjust the future accordingly, so whilest in the present moment, you can look into your future, the moment you stop observing that future in the simulation, that future is already gone. And if you would reobserve the simulation at another time, the future would be entirely different again! And again, the moment you stop observing, that future will be gone. And you will never truely be able to know the exact course of the future because of it. But you can see the futures that -could- have been, if you didn't open pandora's box. So, wait, Fluffy... There are more than one futures? No, just observations of possible ones, but there is always just the present moment, all futures seen have never existed nor came to pass. Oh, ok...
    Ok, that makes a lot of sense. I'm still a little hung up on how the machine would be built in the first place, but it's workings seem to be pretty straightforward. So do you think YOU could be the one to build such a machine? How would we (as humanity) go about finding out all there is to know in the universe? What would the implications be of going back to the beginning of time (since you so nicely fleshed out the implications of seeing the future)? Would we be able to go back to alternate pasts or, once travelled, do the paths of the past become set in stone? If we went back into the past far enough could we jump-start evolution and rise of humanity in order to buy us increasingly more time against the universe eventually ending on us?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    I don't think it's that much of a stretch, but it's probably also not as simple as you make it sound. Unless we throw certain types of people with the sharks to help the process along. Obisity is not just behaviour though, for many people it's a genetic disorder. Genetic disorders don't really naturally dissappear unless they can be treated or those people don't procreate. Nature had always had his way with the weak and frail, but now with humans, nature is no longer in charge and those faults will not be weeded out anymore through evolution.
    What sort of things do you think WILL get weeded out through evolution?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    I don't think it works that way, with chromosomes and shit, females have very specific genes that males don't have and vice versa. If you only took genes from two males, then obviously there would bo no female specific genes present in the offspring. With some luck it might be viable and develop into the ultamale of our species though.
    This article says apparently it's something some scientists are looking into, but it's far from being perfect (and who knows, their funding might get cut entirely cause the nature of the project seems pretty controversial). Interesting!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 370
    Last Post: 02-07-2016, 09:54 PM
  2. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-17-2014, 12:49 PM
  3. The "Collective Shadow" partaken of through the Cross with Christ
    By Eric B in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 05-21-2012, 08:44 PM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-20-2009, 04:33 PM
  5. What TypeC member do you LEAST identify with?
    By King sns in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 111
    Last Post: 02-16-2009, 11:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO