User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    STP

Standards/cruisers are well-rounded and comfortable. The handle-bar styling feels natural (like a bicycle) and is the preferable styling for the general transportation you'd do with a car. Choppers and harleys are great for roadtrips, and sports-bikes are great for racing and on the highway, but the standard is a natural position, allowing a new rider to enjoy the experience, focus on traffic, safety, and riding technique instead of trying to manage a heavy chopper or harley, or staying balanced and aware of everything around you on the forward-tilt of a sports bike.

Position: |>

-Pay least amount for given level of performance
    -Comfortable in all riding situations, yet more maneuverable than a chopper or harley
    -Least likely to lay down, or have an accident with another vehicle

Position: />

-Aggressive body styling looks cool
    -Usually outfitted with higher performance (read: acceleration) parts
    -Uncomfortable in traffic or for 40+ minute rides and hard on the wrists
    -Poor low-speed turning ability, which is why it's preferable for highway riding.

Position: \>

-Ideal for long distances (very comfortable and usually outfitted with convenient features for this)
    -Heavy and more difficult to navigate in traffic
    -Unimpressive gas mileage

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

That would be interesting to see what I prefer, because when I bike, I lean over hardcore.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

MBTI
    STP

Just answering your query as far as which will handle well. Sportsbikes (forward leaning) have a short, controlled turning radius that leaves more of the turning capability up to the rider's bodyweight, thus allowing smooth and efficient lines through long curves on a racetrack or highway.

However, for normal daily uses there's nothing to justify their popularity besides the looks. With city driving the short turning radius is less agile, meaning you sometimes have to really throw your weight around to make a tight turn in traffic. The forward leaning position is very hard on the wrists and body in the city and in traffic, because you're stopping and going and so aren't able to suspend your bodyweight on your midsection like you would while riding (as your feet will spend more time on the ground). This wear further proves to degrade your riding performance and safety. It's also harder to look over your shoulder on a sportsbike and stay aware of cars in general without affecting your balance.

Harley and cruisers are almost never ideal for first time buyers. They're reclined, so they're great for long distances without making your bum sore. They're heavy too, which leads to a greater likelihood that a first time rider will drop the bike in a tight turn while driving in the city.

If I could do it all over again, I'd start with a standard, hands down. They're also the cheapest per performance because you aren't paying for a bunch of racing plastic or chrome.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

How much do standards cost in general? Both used and new. Definitely do not want a Harley. I want a small, light bike, which is why I was looking at the Ninja 250 and the Honda.

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

MBTI
    STP

Honda Nighthawk or CB-1 are great choices. You can get them in the $1-4,000 range.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Go to different dealerships. Sit on the bikes. See what feels comfortable and what you feel confident on. There's no wrong choice. Just what feels best for you.

If you know anyone that has a dirt bike and some gear, ask them if they'd mind taking you riding a bit. Dirt is more forgiving than pavement and no traffic to worry about. It's a good way to get used to the general mechanics of riding, just you and the bike. As a female, most guys would be happy to bring you out and have you ride. So don't be shy about asking.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    I can't see the picture But I googled the year of it. What exactly is a cafe racer? I know what they look like, but what are they for?

And if you sold your bike in a year or so, would you consider selling it to me? I probably won't have the money for one for at least a year, because I am going to try to pay for my own college. Which is part of the reason I am wanting a bike- greater financial independence.
    Cafe racers are a style of bike which is moderately compact, modified for speed and spiffy handling (less so for comfort) with a history originating in Europe... love the history. The examples Disco posted are good examples of the body style and such - a bit more stripped down and utilitarian than many bikes.

I would certainly consider selling mine to you... but I live across the country from you, so that might affect your decision. It may be closer to a year and a half in terms of when I'll be able to, also.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

MDP: that was my plan, actually. I really think I need to get a feel for them. Now I just need to find guys on bikes to ride around with some

Zoom: I like the look of the cafe racers. They look like motorized bikes (yeah yeah, I know they are). They didn't look very comfortable. Do people normally put seat covers on motorcycles?

And excellent, I know you live in Portland. In it? I think so. Anyway, I really have been wanting to go to the west coast for some time. In fact, I may go to college out there. But I'm really not sure of anything at the moment. And the time isn't a problem either- I need to make sure I can fully afford a motorcycle and school before I get one anyway. But it is good to know I may have at least one option

Do bikes normally last a long while? I don't want to get one and end up having it fall apart/die because it was just older/had way too many miles.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Here's a more economical cafe racer option.

It's built from a Suzuki s40 by Ryca motors and gets about 60 mpg, and is damn good looking to boot.

[YOUTUBE="ByNxIZh9Kew"]Ryca CS-1[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Those look really, really uncomfortable