User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Default Web Browsers and IQ correlation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14370878

Researchers gave over 100,000 web surfers a free online IQ test. Scores were stored in a database along with each person's web browser data.

The results suggested that Internet Explorer surfers had an average IQ in the low eighties. Chrome, Firefox and Safari rated over 100, while minority browsers Opera and Camino had an "exceptionally higher" score of over 120
    Interesting.
    +10% Crit Chance

People only use one browser? Not the people I know. I have three installed, but use Firefox and Opera.

MBTI
    INTP

Wonderful... I use three browsers for different applications and situations. Not because I particularly want to but because I'm forced by internet Balkinization. I wonder how they would put that into their database?
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by jimrckhnd View Post
    internet Balkinization
    Can you provide some examples of this? It's usually considered bad design to have a site only support some browsers and not others, and would be devastating for virtually any commercial venture. The only times I've really experienced devastating browser incompatibility are on shoddy intra-net sites used to access databases, and I'd hardly consider that Balkanization. Although a disclaimer-- I've hardly tested most sites.

MBTI
    INTP

Well two very quick examples: there is a commercial site I use to follow professional cycling which simply doesn't work well with Chrome but does pretty well with "exploder". On the other hand I have a lap top that simply won't access a work a browser accessed email system without using Firefox. I always seem to running into sites that won't load well or quickly on one browser but if C&P the link into another browser comes up just fine. Annoys me no end.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

MBTI
    INTP

Okay. I misunderstood what you meant by Balkanization. Carry on.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

people care about what web browser they use?

as long as it's not safari (I loathe Safari... seriously) I really don't care... if I can find what I want all is good

I also loathe bing search engine with a passion and once spent an afternoon removing anything associated with it from a computer
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    people care about what web browser they use?

as long as it's not safari (I loathe Safari... seriously) I really don't care... if I can find what I want all is good

I also loathe bing search engine with a passion and once spent an afternoon removing anything associated with it from a computer
    Bing is horrible. Once I was at my GFs house and I was trying to find something with her. We looked through pages and pages of search results but found nothing. Then I noticed the little search bar in the corner we were using was Bing. I switched to Google and found it in 5 seconds. I asked her "Why the hell do you have BING on your browser?"

We broke up not to long after that.

She also used IE. Coincidence?
    +10% Crit Chance

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I make fun of my boss' love of bing on a regular basis because I've never been able to find ANYTHING on it... and I don't like the way that the name sounds either. It's rather annoying to remove when it's fully integrated into a computer as well... it involves things that I normally find to be confusing as far as the internet goes

I tend to use google chrome just because I have my phone integrated to that as well
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    STP

Although I think the results are accurate, the conclusions are not because IE is the default browser. I believe this is only because people with a higher IQ (and supposedly are more intelligent) are more adept at using tools like their computer, which allows them the freedom and desire to develop a personal taste for alternative methods of use. In other words, if you can learn and understand how to use a computer, you're able to try out another, "better" browser. That doesn't mean using IE makes you dumber, it means you didn't change your browser.

But again, the conclusions here are false because IE is the default browser for the majority of PCs. So by default, the most common browser would be correlated with the mean IQ of 100. Then, when you consider everyone who is unable to change their browser, the IQ will drop below 100. This is not a balanced comparison... to make the conclusions they've made, they'd have to give people an objective choice of the 3 at a single point in time, and even that would be sketchy because the majority knows and is comfortable using IE.