User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What should I know about buying a web cam?

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    I would like to get a webcam to stay in touch with my nieces and nephews on Skype (doing flashcards with them etc), to visit with a couple of my friends who have moved to Europe and also possibly to do some long distance music lessons with people. Do you have any advice about brands, considerations, price etc? I have a desktop, and I have never had a computer with a webcam.
    I've got an inbuilt webcam in my laptop, so far as I can tell its pretty much a standard feature now but I did buy a webcam set for my last laptop and was using it to broadcast myself on hotmail/MSN before skype, there are two things I would keep in mind:

- Its probably a good idea not to go too low budget if you are going to be giving it some serious use, ie as much as you would a mobile phone for instance. A lot of the really budget or "newbie" offers on these kinds of things provide something which wears out quickly or is lousy at fixing to a monitor, whether its a desktop monitor or laptop monitor.

- Just as important as the webcam, possibly more so when I think about it, is the headset/mic you'll inevitably need too, its much better than relying upon the built in mic in the computer to pic up your voice or the speakers to convey conversations, I dont know perhaps its different when you're playing music (although I know you can get small mics to affix to stands for recording music anyway).

- I know people have said logitech is grand, mine was logitech and it worked fine, although I never used mine that much and it was never as decent a standard as my present built in system. I'd recommend something better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    What do you have to do to hook it up to the computer (pardon my ignorance!)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    Plug into USB drive.

That's about it.
    Yeah plug it into USB. There was maybe some software that installed itself but it was pretty straightforward. I can use it for skype and google video chat.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Nips away your dignity Array Fluffywolf's Avatar
    9 sp/sx

What should I know about buying a web cam?
    My msn?

jk, my laptop came with a webcam, as far as brands go, if I would buy a webcam that is standalone, I'd personally go logitech, but that's just because I have good experience with the brand. I don't know much about the webcam market.

1w2 so/sx

Thanks folks - I kind of forgot that I had made this thread because it didn't get much action right away. I did end up buying a Logitech webcam. Haven't plugged it in yet, but I'll check it out when I get back from holidays.