User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Win98 was still a DOS shell, XP was the first MS consumer OS to be based on NT which for me has been rock solid stable. Vista dropped all the nifty new features and ended up being a bloated XP SP3 with an ass ugly UI. Hopefully Windows 7 will be decent.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Vista is ME08.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I am definitely a PC guy. That said, I'm not going anywhere near Vista. My laptop came with XP, and I'm not changing it. I think every MS OS has gotten a little worse since Windows 98, which was awesome.

Also, Judy Greer
    Were you able to type that with a straight face?

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    Win98 was still a DOS shell, XP was the first MS consumer OS to be based on NT which for me has been rock solid stable. Vista dropped all the nifty new features and ended up being a bloated XP SP3 with an ass ugly UI. Hopefully Windows 7 will be decent.
    Windows 2k was the first to use NT

When Vista first came out I thought it was pretty funny that they reviewed it on a system that barely met the minimum requirements and said it was incredibly unstable and slow. Reeaalllyyy

My copy of Vista so far has only crashed because of my Nvidea drivers. And even then Vista automatically recovered... which XP can't do.
    I = 89% N = 79% T = 84% p = 74%

Quote Originally Posted by Judous View Post
    Were you able to type that with a straight face?
    Uh, yeah. That's my experience. Your mileage may vary.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
    May I ask why? (Not why you want, but why you need to buy it).
    Cos I've run out of friends who can get me dodgy copies and it'd be nice to be able to actually do the updates for a change

What's driving you insane about it? I can probably help solve it.
    Nah, it's not technical problems, it's just the whole setup, the style, the layout, all other options of style and layout, the presentation, just everything about it sucks. Personal thing, no doubt... I just don't like it at all. I still run XP Pro in "windows classic" mode, cos I'm just someone who needs to have everything out in the open and easily accessible to tweak and twiddle as and when I please... I felt that XP with it's usual 'front' was too dumbed down, and Vista even more so... it's like they're hiding away anything that's actually useful or interesting in case the idiots find it and break the machine. Which leaves the people who actually do know what they're doing, frustrated because they have to go through so much rigmarole to get to anything 'manual'. Like I said, a personal thing. If you like it, I'm happy for you, but I hate it

I was on XP Pro from the week it was released - I was married to a computer engineer and therefore picked up quite a bit and lived with compulsive uprgrade-itis!
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Judous View Post
    Windows 2k was the first to use NT
    Windows NT 3.51 was the first NT OS, 2000 is a business OS. XP Home was the first consumer OS that was NT based rather than DOS.

MBTI
    INTJ

I left Bill for Steve last year.

I've worked with Unix since the mid 1980s so contemplated Linux but have played with different versions Mandrake/SuSe/Redhat etc and just couldn't decide.

I've worked with DOS since 1982 and then Windows 2 in the late 80s then 3.11 etc.

It has always been a case of "what have they screwed up now"?

Faced with the need to get a new computer the thought of getting a Windows Notebook and dealing with Vista scared me (I have a mate who has been part of all windows betas since the 1980s...) so I made the leap to Apple.

The different mouse and control methods were quick to learn and I have not had any regrets in the change. After more than 20 years messing around to keep things working on other systems, this just darned well works.

I love the ad - particularly since I do yoga and pilates....

MBTI
    INTP

We needed a new computer so I took the plunge and bought my wife the iMac for Christmas (I still use PCs for work). Gotta say it was the best purchase I have ever made. My only gripe would be that it lowers my usefulness quotient around home as tech support. Maybe I will have to develop those shadow functions now.....

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Cos I've run out of friends who can get me dodgy copies and it'd be nice to be able to actually do the updates for a change
    Heh, there are ways around Genuine Advantage...but I'm not going to discuss that.

Which leaves the people who actually do know what they're doing, frustrated because they have to go through so much rigmarole to get to anything 'manual'. Like I said, a personal thing. If you like it, I'm happy for you, but I hate it
    Personally, I haven't found it bad once I modify it like you said, I just enable "classic" mode on everything, turn off UAC (that has got to be the most useless thing ever), and use the proper Administrator account. (Admin Tools>Computer Management>Local Users, right-click on "Administrator" and click enable.).

To be honest, I still use Windows 2000 Pro for most things, I only use Vista for games and some media stuff. (I've got both of those and Ubuntu Linux installed...).
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    ENTP

So millerm, what you're saying is, if you switch off everything that makes it Vista and make it run like XP Pro, it's fine?
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen