User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 22

  1. #1
    Carerra Lu IZthe411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,591

    Default iPhone 5- To wait or not to wait.

    I've been a Blackberry customer since like 2004 when I got one for work, and it has been a great run. But it seems like the OS for BB is so anti-social that the only thing saving BB now is Blackberry Messenger.

    I'm looking forward to getting a new phone, and for the last 6 months or so have been in the process of deciding on some kind of android phone or the iPhone. Based on the fact that I already have iTunes and 3 iPods, I choose iPhone to simplify, that is, merge my phone with my music and apps.

    So, on July 6, I'm eligible to renew my 2 year contract with Verizon. I'm ready to jump on the iPhone 4, but I know that the 5 is ready to be released. One part of me wants the 4, but another is saying that it might be worth it to wait until the 5 is released.

    I've checked out the 'net, and the biggest rumor is that it will be faster, and a slightly bigger screen. Honestly, I don't know if that's enough to make me wait.
    Plus is there any guarantee that it will drop in September?

    I could also wait until they announce the 5 later this summer and get a 4 at a great deal since they will be outdated.

    What do you guys think? If there's no compelling reason to wait any longer, I think I'm going to grab one later this week.

    Wait for the 5 or not?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,126

    Default

    how will this affect what price you will be paying on your phone and contract when you switch phones? are you going to be out of contract for a while before upgrading? or are you going to re-up your contract when it expires and then get the i-phone 5 when it comes out (you will have to pay full price if you choose this option, which will be a lot of money, because you will not be using your once-every-2-years precious upgrade to get a discounted price on your new phone!)... also take into consideration which option will allow you to be grandfathered into your old unlimited data plan instead of getting dragged into the new capped data plan where you will get charged for overages

    no real opinions on the phone since I loathe apple products, but I do know that there are a bazillion ways that you can screw yourself over while upgrading if you aren't careful
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  3. #3
    Carerra Lu IZthe411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,591

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    how will this affect what price you will be paying on your phone and contract when you switch phones? are you going to be out of contract for a while before upgrading? or are you going to re-up your contract when it expires and then get the i-phone 5 when it comes out (you will have to pay full price if you choose this option, which will be a lot of money, because you will not be using your once-every-2-years precious upgrade to get a discounted price on your new phone!)... also take into consideration which option will allow you to be grandfathered into your old unlimited data plan instead of getting dragged into the new capped data plan where you will get charged for overages

    no real opinions on the phone since I loathe apple products, but I do know that there are a bazillion ways that you can screw yourself over while upgrading if you aren't careful
    The way it works for me with Verizon is that I will re-enter a 2 year contract on the phone, which means I'llg et the 2 year discount, which means I'm stuck with the phone for 2 years, so if I wanted to get the 5 I'd have to pay full price.

    I'm still under a 2 year contract until March 2012, but on July 6 I can get an early upgrade. I originally got the Storm 1 in March 2009, it broke so I got the 2 in July 2010, so I rolled into another year.

    I checked with them, and I'll be gf into my old data plan unlimited. But that's going to run out before the 5 is released so it's a rush to get me into another phone, which I don't like but I won't lose sleep over that. I've been a VZW customer since like 1997 when they were still Bell Atlantic Mobile. I love their service.

    I learned all my options back in April, on my bday as a matter of fact. I wanted out the phone so bad at that time I was in there like 2 hours trying to get them to give me something.

  4. #4
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,126

    Default

    does your wish for a iphone 5 outweigh the practicality of staying in a grandfathered data plan and not paying something like $700 for a new phone? this is the practical question

    of course you could call customer retentions and say that somebody offered you a better rate and a total discount on a new phone and see them scramble to keep you as a customer... I've seen that happen quite often
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  5. #5
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,991

    Default

    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  6. #6
    Carerra Lu IZthe411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,591

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    does your wish for a iphone 5 outweigh the practicality of staying in a grandfathered data plan and not paying something like $700 for a new phone? this is the practical question

    of course you could call customer retentions and say that somebody offered you a better rate and a total discount on a new phone and see them scramble to keep you as a customer... I've seen that happen quite often
    Yeeah I have to figure out what date I have until to upgrade and not lose my unlimited. Good thought.

    I tried to stick it to them in April, and they wouldn't budge. I think it's because I was stuck in the phone. I'll try again now that I got more leverage! LOL

  7. #7
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,126

    Default

    once your contract is up you have A LOT of leverage... I can quote you the rates and re-upped phone prices with a few different carriers if you really need some leverage with them that's about the time that they freak out and give in to your demands

    but yes... you can use your i-tunes on an android phone as well (I used to run i-tunes on a blackberry for goodness sake!), so if you aren't particularly attached to the little apple symbol on the back that does free up your phone choices quite a bit (I'd suggest going with the Thunderbolt if you're sticking with Verizon... or if you have until August to keep your grandfathered data, I'd suggest the Galaxy S II)
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  8. #8
    Carerra Lu IZthe411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,591

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    once your contract is up you have A LOT of leverage... I can quote you the rates and re-upped phone prices with a few different carriers if you really need some leverage with them that's about the time that they freak out and give in to your demands

    but yes... you can use your i-tunes on an android phone as well (I used to run i-tunes on a blackberry for goodness sake!), so if you aren't particularly attached to the little apple symbol on the back that does free up your phone choices quite a bit (I'd suggest going with the Thunderbolt if you're sticking with Verizon... or if you have until August to keep your grandfathered data, I'd suggest the Galaxy S II)
    Hit me on PM....I'd like that leverage LOL

  9. #9
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,126

    Default

    done... you now have all of the competitor rate plans and the prices with a contract for thier top of the line phones!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  10. #10

    Default

    I have the same issue. My AT&T contract (and my crappy phone) expire next week. I also can't decide between an iPhone and a Android. Were I to choose an iPhone, I'd probably wait until the iPhone 5 comes out and then try to get an iPhone 4 cheap. I've never had any kind of data plan, so I'm screwed either way on that. I'm probably going to switch to Verizon, so does anyone have any opinions on iPhone vs. Android for Verizon?
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

    Johari
    /Nohari

Similar Threads

  1. To jailbreak or not to jailbreak [iPhone 4]?
    By swordpath in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-10-2011, 10:37 PM
  2. OK to Reveal Team's Type Or Not?
    By ENFJ in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-19-2007, 06:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO