User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    people start that early?!?!? holy shit... I actually had no idea!
    Yeah, I actually went and looked it up after reading this thread...apparently it's not considered medically abnormal as long as the girl is at least eight. I'm surprised myself.

I read somewhere (Fast Food Nation, maybe?) that there's a suspected nutritional cause for the reduced age of puberty. Apparently Japanese girls reach it a couple years later than American girls, but this difference disappears with girls of Japanese descent that grew up in the states. So there's speculation that it might be the typical American diet that's causing girls to hit puberty a little early. Perhaps the same dietary factors contribute to an increased risk of depression? Just another possibility.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    SEE

Quote Originally Posted by blankpages View Post
    Yeah, I actually went and looked it up after reading this thread...apparently it's not considered medically abnormal as long as the girl is at least eight. I'm surprised myself.

I read somewhere (Fast Food Nation, maybe?) that there's a suspected nutritional cause for the reduced age of puberty. Apparently Japanese girls reach it a couple years later than American girls, but this difference disappears with girls of Japanese descent that grew up in the states. So there's speculation that it might be the typical American diet that's causing girls to hit puberty a little early. Perhaps the same dietary factors contribute to an increased risk of depression? Just another possibility.
    Noted: body image issues and Fast Food Nation.

Well, I said this in the other forums, but it's not just the sheer amount of food, but also the presence of growth hormones in meat and phytoestrogen in soy (just about errrryything either has a test-tube variation of soy or corn in it).

Incidentally, I don't eat fast food and I'm a picky eater who got grossed out by milk as a kid and drank a fuckton of soymilk. Though my mom immigrated from Vietnam and she started between 10 and 11, too, I think. That was when she started buying pads and shit for me because she was expecting me to get my period around that time.
    ISTP 3w2 SX/SO

violaine

I have read a little about a possible link between the prevalence of hormone mimicking chemicals in the environment and early onset puberty in girls. It does seem plausible, though there's no conclusive evidence proving or disproving a link afaik (which is not a great deal. :-) )

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Nomenclature View Post

Incidentally, I don't eat fast food and I'm a picky eater who got grossed out by milk as a kid and drank a fuckton of soymilk. Though my mom immigrated from Vietnam and she started between 10 and 11, too, I think. That was when she started buying pads and shit for me because she was expecting me to get my period around that time.
    Yeah, it is largely genetic too. I got my first period at the same age as my mother had, almost right down to the week. She said to me one day a couple months before my thirteenth birthday, "You know, if you're like me, you'll get your first 'thing' this week". I had actually gotten it a few days before that, and hadn't told her because it was very light and I didn't realize what it was at the time.

Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

Hmmm... my period didn't come until I was 15. Talk about a bit embarrassing. Heh, and I wanted it soooooooo bad too! I thought that it made me a woman, but in reality it just made me a grumpy teenage girl.

Edit; both my sisters and mother got theirs at 12.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

I can't believe im even reading/commenting on this thread that belongs to the other gender...but....

there's that "myth", "stereotype" whatever you want to call it... that there are girls who peak in highschool, and that when everyone comes back for the highschool reunion, they are no longer anywhere close to being the best looking. the formerly unnoticed are then the best looking. Could this be related? I had no idea people started so damn early. They have like a 6 year head start by the time they hit highschool. Some people in the very "normal range" wouldn't be at that same 6 years later until well into college. If these late starters have better hormonal balance/health/lower mental stress, maybe they also age better?

A window to the soul

Reading this thread makes me so uncomfortable. This kind of stuff is personal.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

I think I was 10 or 11-ish... I honestly don't remember, but I definitely remember being the first girl in my class to have to wear a bra. I also remember, at our first sex ed class, being the only girl nodding in understanding while the teacher was talking, while the other, flat-chested girls just looked confused and like it was all a totally foreign concept.

I'm intrigued by the link with promiscuity, though... because it had the opposite effect on me. Being more mature made me irritated with guys my age to the point that I pretty much gave up. And I guess I wasn't infantilized, at all, because I was a strong enough personality that the teachers didn't see that as a smart choice

EDIT: Since we're on the Asperger's topic... I was tested for Autism (without my parents' knowledge) when I was still in preschool, because my teachers suspected it. I don't have it, though, so I dunno if that's relevant or not.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Quote Originally Posted by blankpages View Post

Quote Originally Posted by violaine View Post
    I have read a little about a possible link between the prevalence of hormone mimicking chemicals in the environment and early onset puberty in girls. It does seem plausible, though there's no conclusive evidence proving or disproving a link afaik (which is not a great deal. :-) )
    Yes, I've heard of this before, and it appears to be true. There are a lot of chemicals floating around (some in food, some in medication, I think also some in the stuff they spray on crops) that mimick estrogen, the female hormones. It is affecting animals more than it's affecting us, to the point that male frogs are turning female because that shit gets into the water. These chemicals have super tiny molecules that are incredibly difficult to remove from the water, so we end up drinking them.

In addition to all the chemicals and emerging pollutants in the water we drink, I think estrogen levels go up with obesity. So you have the double whammy of eating and drinking estrogen, plus if you eat a lot of fast food and get fat, that adds to the problem.

So, chemicals + obesity => high estrogen, early female puberty, early menstruation

MBTI
    TiNe
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    people start that early?!?!? holy shit... I actually had no idea!

I held off until the ripe old age of 13... though I also ran distances, played soccer and softball, so that could have something to do with it... I've never been accused of having asperger's for some reason!

From what I've read, girls start menstruation when their bones are "13 years old" (it's extremely simplified, I think it has something to do with density) so that would be a "normal age".
    Then again, it depends on genetics and other things that has been talked about on this thread (fast food is not the only responsible thing, women used to be menstruated later in their life because of malnutrushment - so technically we could say that even with a normal diet, the average age would be about 13 and not really later than that as it has been in the past).
    Feel no shame for what you are...

INTP
    5w4 or 5w6 sp/so