• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Google Black Search Bar

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Yep. I really like it though, but I'm a natural fan of darker themes. Maybe they're trying to emulate Android notification bar.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
Why has my google image searches started crashing chrome since they've rolled this out?

I cannot work out how to turn it off, has anyone succeeded in doing so?

Floaty-shitty-bars have proven in the past to be resource intensive spybots to the point of being a complete pain in the tits. I fear this may be much the same, particularly comparing this to the whole traunch of useless 'consumer' google products that are not igoogle and the instant google search page (which are both now being ransacked by a black bar). I really don't know why they bother.

G

Ginkgo

I'll bite. What's Google Black and why is Google so accessible that it can be tongue-in-cheek to the point of being deathcore black?

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
I'll bite. What's Google Black and why is Google so accessible that it can be tongue-in-cheek to the point of being deathcore black?

google-navbar-black-1309179112.jpg

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
yep. meh. I don't know why they made it black, it doesn't fit the colour scheme. I'm pretty indifferent though.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Have you not had the bar before? I've had it for a while, it just used to be blue. It actually goes well with my W7 theme, as my windows are translucent, and desktop background has a black background itself.

Google.png

Google does have a bad habit of just pushing out changes on their unsuspecting users, without any sort of an opt-in or explanation as to why it would be useful. We all remember the Buzz fiasco. I think they're trying to distance themselves from the Facebook Blue as they launch their new + service.

Jaguar

Why is the bar there to begin with? When I go to Google I have the same text links, but no bar.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
their new + service.

I just don't get whats so great about it; whats the added value to me about having a button that send me to a 'shopping' version of google; if I want to buy pizza I already just type 'buy pizza, my location' into google; I don't have to click at the top of the page on 'shopping' and then do the same thing. It's just not well thought through at all.

There are only two google products I enjoy as a consumer, one is the simple search the other is igoogle; however, igoogle has several problems such as a buggy gmail interface, unsurprisingly after a change that you could not opt out of during a sudden shock last year which introduced lots of new useless items to the left hand side which you then turn off. Although I can respect that google wants 'new markets' wouldn't it be wise to fix the worthwhile items that draws people back again and again instead of adding something that just buggers up the normal and extremely popular search interface?

Thankfully I've now downloaded the black bar removal script for chrome (yes you need to modify your browser to turn it off!) and I can now perform more than one google image search without the instance of chrome freezing! And there was much rejoicing!

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
Why has my google image searches started crashing chrome since they've rolled this out?

That's weird. I use Chrome and mine hasn't crashed once. Even all the sorting options on the side bar, where you can filter out your images based on color and such. Kind of a neat feature I guess, but I can't imagine it EVER being useful.

I do like their "Search by image" tool. Now I won't have to use Tineye anymore. That's probably the only thing of value I feel was gained.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Yeah, the main search page bar isn't very good. All the options are more or less redundant and take more clicks, just as you said. Oddly, the bar seems to change based on what service you're using. My google reader bar is far more useful because it gives me links for Documents, Calendar, Gmail, Photos: all discreet services. They should at least let you customize it, if not get rid of it entirely. It's also redundant if you use iGoogle where you'd presumably have all your services on your page as widgets. But Google are the kings of "it's really a beta but let's release it half baked and without a coherent strategy anyways."

Google%20Reader%20%28753%29.png

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
oh yeah, my chrome is also not crashing with the bar. it pretty much never crashes, actually. :shrug:

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
All of those options were already there on the normal google page. They're just in a black bar now.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
i don't care, anything google produces is gold on a stick and if google comes out with a religion i'm in.

but seriously, i don't care enough to really do anything about it. i can still do everything i want. maybe it'll disappear in a week.

I don't like the "Recommend this page" link right next to where I want to be clicking to go to a page.