User Tag List

First 12

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Have you not had the bar before? I've had it for a while, it just used to be blue. It actually goes well with my W7 theme, as my windows are translucent, and desktop background has a black background itself.

Google does have a bad habit of just pushing out changes on their unsuspecting users, without any sort of an opt-in or explanation as to why it would be useful. We all remember the Buzz fiasco. I think they're trying to distance themselves from the Facebook Blue as they launch their new + service.

Why is the bar there to begin with? When I go to Google I have the same text links, but no bar.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    their new + service.
    I just don't get whats so great about it; whats the added value to me about having a button that send me to a 'shopping' version of google; if I want to buy pizza I already just type 'buy pizza, my location' into google; I don't have to click at the top of the page on 'shopping' and then do the same thing. It's just not well thought through at all.

There are only two google products I enjoy as a consumer, one is the simple search the other is igoogle; however, igoogle has several problems such as a buggy gmail interface, unsurprisingly after a change that you could not opt out of during a sudden shock last year which introduced lots of new useless items to the left hand side which you then turn off. Although I can respect that google wants 'new markets' wouldn't it be wise to fix the worthwhile items that draws people back again and again instead of adding something that just buggers up the normal and extremely popular search interface?

Thankfully I've now downloaded the black bar removal script for chrome (yes you need to modify your browser to turn it off!) and I can now perform more than one google image search without the instance of chrome freezing! And there was much rejoicing!

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    Why has my google image searches started crashing chrome since they've rolled this out?
    That's weird. I use Chrome and mine hasn't crashed once. Even all the sorting options on the side bar, where you can filter out your images based on color and such. Kind of a neat feature I guess, but I can't imagine it EVER being useful.

I do like their "Search by image" tool. Now I won't have to use Tineye anymore. That's probably the only thing of value I feel was gained.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Yeah, the main search page bar isn't very good. All the options are more or less redundant and take more clicks, just as you said. Oddly, the bar seems to change based on what service you're using. My google reader bar is far more useful because it gives me links for Documents, Calendar, Gmail, Photos: all discreet services. They should at least let you customize it, if not get rid of it entirely. It's also redundant if you use iGoogle where you'd presumably have all your services on your page as widgets. But Google are the kings of "it's really a beta but let's release it half baked and without a coherent strategy anyways."

Diving into Ni-space Crescent Fresh's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Ugly.

Seconded!

When it comes to color scheme, Facebook is really hard to beat.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

oh yeah, my chrome is also not crashing with the bar. it pretty much never crashes, actually.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INTJ

All of those options were already there on the normal google page. They're just in a black bar now.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    XXFP

i don't care, anything google produces is gold on a stick and if google comes out with a religion i'm in.

but seriously, i don't care enough to really do anything about it. i can still do everything i want. maybe it'll disappear in a week.

I don't like the "Recommend this page" link right next to where I want to be clicking to go to a page.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.