• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

free antivirus

burymecloser

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
I've been using Avast for years, and it's taken good care of me, but the upgrade to Avast 6.0 killed my computer. I re-installed Windows (XP), and 6.0 killed it again, so I think Avast is out until the day I get a new OS.

XP doesn't support AVG 9, so I'm looking for a new AV. Right now I'm running the free version of Malwarebytes, but that's obviously not sufficient by itself. Any recommendations for a good free antivirus program?

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
I've always used AVG and never had a problem. And one of my computers is XP. It's running version 10 right now without a problem.

burymecloser

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Maybe it's just the free version that's not supported?

I would love to be wrong about this.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've always used AVG and never had a problem. And one of my computers is XP. It's running version 10 right now without a problem.

Ohhhhhh, you obviously didn't happen to come by a time that they wrecked my computer to the point that it wasn't booting correctly (It kept rebooting and rebooting [I had to look up how to fix it on my laptop because of it.]) :D

But yes, I had no problems with AVG... other than that little snag. Better than most other free antiviruses out there anyhow.

burymecloser

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Eh, it won't even let me run the installer: avg_free_stb_all_2011_1382_cnet.exe -- says AVG 2011 is not compatible with my OS.
:confused:

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
What version of XP are you running? Home/Professional? 32/64 bit?

SP1? SP2?

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
Supposedly it's not compatible with Windows Service Pack 1 for XP. Is it possible that you have not upgraded to Service pack 2 or 3?

Right click My Computer. Select Properties. There should be a section that says "System" with your version and service pack number.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Microsoft Security Essentials is very good and actually pretty highly rated among free and even paid antivirus. /inb4zomgMSsuxorz

Also, XP is up to service pack 3 now. A lot of stuff won't work without you upgrading to that in the first place.

Icarus

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I actually had a similar problem. At one point, I attempted to upgrade Avast and it must have messed with some network settings because it wouldn't let me back online. I did a system restore and then uninstalled it. Comodo Antivirus is quite good and I've heard good things about Microsoft Security Essentials as well. In my opinion, AVG used to be the top AV several years ago but they've slipped in the ratings recently.

rav3n

If you're using any of the free third party firewalls, there's likely conflict with Avast 6.0.