123 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE

Default entrepreneurs on TypeC?

i'm a crazed serial entrepreneur who just received her first round of angel capital for her new venture.

sooo....

any other entrepreneurs around here? hi tech would be awesome. but small biz owners and managers, too, as the lessons and challenges are essentially the same.

i'd like to build a team this time using [the little i know about] typology. any wisdom you can share (or that we jointly can amass) would be incredible.

the team i've assembled so far:

ENFP - CEO (who acts a hell of a lot like ENTJ in the workplace, the madwoman)
    INTJ - CTO
    INTP - architect/back-end developer
    ISTJ (?) - front-end designer
    INTJ - web developer
    INTJ - angel investor
    INTJ - advisor

i've made asked everyone but the front-end designer to take the mbti test...we're just a wee bit heavy on the NTs, which is not a bad thing at all in hi tech.

so, has anyone studied team dynamics using typology? (i've got a few books on the way but prefer dialogue) have experience with ENFPs and INTJs at the C-level and wanna bitch/share/brainstorm leadership? drawn up a term sheet or raised pre-VC/angel capital? worked in startups? work in the consumer web/mobile space? develop for droid/iphone and wanna talk dev timelines?
    Last edited by AgentF; 04-05-2011 at 12:47 PM. Reason: amplification
    I may be kindly, I am ordinarily gentle, but in my line of business I am obliged to will terribly what I will at all.
    ~ Catherine the Great

7w6 ❣ sx/so ❤ physical touch ❥ sanguine 70%, choleric 30% ❦

Johari.

garbage

yo, congrats

I'm the CTO of ours. Our team just sort of fell together because we had the right mix of capabilities. We differ in our typological preferences, but that hasn't led to any major issues among us. I wouldn't choose a team based upon typology, but perhaps books on team dynamics, typologically based or not, would be useful.

The one that comes to mind for me is The Wisdom of Teams.. I ended up reading it for one of my university classes, then actually picking it back up when I got into more hardcore team leadership roles.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

I never thought about it like that, but I guess I am a serial entrepreneur as well. Right from my first stint at 22 trying to build a business selling beauty products ... lol. Not sure why it appeals so much to me; I like the sense of creating something, I like the excitement of the new, I like having to think on my feet. But I haven't always experienced business successes ... I think my biggest failure was where I learned the most about myself, because I had never really faced my personal limitations and weaknesses before.

Right now I run a corporation that manages a network of sites and employs folks as independent contractors, primarily content writers. This absolves me of most of the day-to-day management of direct reports etc and I can focus my energies on what I do best - creating. All of us work out of satellite locations and I have no office space per se. Lean, minimal expenses.

My last business was a web development enterprise, which I tried to build into a larger full-service company. But the need to hustle each new contract became exhausting, and at the time, with teenagers and other family responsibilities, was just too much. I closed that business in 2006 and did a dev contract for a few years before getting back into self-employment full-time.

So, that's an intro, and will share some more as it comes along.
    Last edited by PeaceBaby; 04-05-2011 at 09:38 AM.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    yo, congrats

I'm the CTO of ours. Our team just sort of fell together because we had the right mix of capabilities. We differ in our typological preferences, but that hasn't led to any major issues among us. I wouldn't choose a team based upon typology, but perhaps books on team dynamics, typologically based or not, would be useful.

The one that comes to mind for me is The Wisdom of Teams.. I ended up reading it for one of my university classes, then actually picking it back up when I got into more hardcore team leadership roles.
    ah, a CTO! you guys are the unicorns of tech. much sought after, highly valued etc etc. anyway, nice to "meet" you.

if you care to share, how have you used typology in your work as a CTO? i'm fortunate to know my (INTJ) CTO extremely well, but not from a typology standpoint as it's all new to me. i believe our relationship will be the most important factor in ensuring the success our startup, apart from the technology, so understanding INTJs is paramount to me.

and thanks for the book suggestion. it's one i've been meaning to pick up for ages but never got around to it. did you find it useful?

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    I like the sense of creating something, I like the excitement of the new, I like having to think on my feet. But I haven't always experienced business successes ... I think my biggest failure was where I learned the most about myself, because I had never really faced my personal limitations and weaknesses before.

Right now I run a corporation that manages a network of sites and employs folks as independent contractors, primarily content writers. This absolves me of most of the day-to-day management of direct reports etc and I can focus my energies on what I do best - creating. All of us work out of satellite locations and I have no office space per se. Lean, minimal expenses.

My last business was a web development enterprise, which I tried to build into a larger full-service company. But the need to hustle each new contract became exhausting, and at the time, with teenagers and other family responsibilities, was just too much. I closed that business in 2006 and did a dev contract for a few years before getting back into self-employment full-time.

So, that's an intro, and will share some more as it comes along.
    hi PB! thanks for writing in. women entrepreneurs aren't as rare as they used to be, but being an NF presents a unique set of leadership challenges (to me, at least). i'd love to hear your thoughts on that sometime.

and regarding business failures. my last two ventures were tightly-bound to the US economy and sent my flying back into the arms of tech when the economy contracted. i'd sold my first company at 23 and imagined myself to be invincible. how wrong i was! i'm much more careful now but there is *nothing* like a good humbling. (tangentially, leading with humility is something i'm actively pursuing...and i find it's one of the first things that goes out the window when i'm under stress...i become a right ENTJ and not all of the good parts! which is why i'm looking into tertiary temptation for ENFPs ).

anyway, glad to know you're both around.
    I may be kindly, I am ordinarily gentle, but in my line of business I am obliged to will terribly what I will at all.
    ~ Catherine the Great

Johari.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

I don't have an internet business yet, but I'm working on setting one up
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    I don't have an internet business yet, but I'm working on setting one up
    welcome! thanks to open source computing, the cloud and the like you're about a day's work at any time away from achieving that goal.

the rest is just details schmetails
    ~ Catherine the Great

Johari.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Ooh, I can tell you now, that INTP will be a tough manage in that set up surrounded by all INTJ's. But I'm pretty sure he'll get along just fine with you.

Also, I'm an entrepeneur, but I have never brought typology to the company.. But I have a functioning, tightknit, employer group, who aren't perfect but capable enough, and most have worked here for 5+ years. Which is pretty rare in our line of work. So I guess I don't have too.

I'm not sure how long I'll keep doing this work though. I'm thinking of making a change. I actually want to become a writer, can you believe it? Might just be an early onset of a midlife crisis.

PS: INTP's excel when they work on anything they are passionate about, but will play with every possible deadline or leeway when they are doing stuff they can't get their interests up with. Still, if it's me, he'd still get things done, just on his own terms. I never worked well under supervision or bosses, like ever.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Ooh, I can tell you now, that INTP will be a tough manage in that set up surrounded by all INTJ's. But I'm pretty sure he'll get along just fine with you.

I'm not sure how long I'll keep doing this work though. I'm thinking of making a change. I actually want to become a writer, can you believe it? Might just be an early onset of a midlife crisis.

PS: INTP's excel when they work on anything they are passionate about, but will play with every possible deadline or leeway when they are doing stuff they can't get their interests up with. Still, if it's me, he'd still get things done, just on his own terms. I never worked well under supervision or bosses, like ever.
    the legendary fluffywolf. greetings.

thanks for your input, and for chiming in! agreed on the INTP vs. INTJ thing. i observe interesting INTJ/P dynamics here and there on the forum, hehe. i am glad i have P in common with the INTP...we work at our own pace (which can mean different things depending on where one is in the chain of command, hehe, but not always).

and i can believe that you'd want to be a writer and at (early onset) midlife. i was chatting about this with someone the other day. at 38/39, Jung apparently had a "midlife crisis" (variously described as a confrontation with his unconscious, the integration of thinking, sensation, feeling, and intuition leading to confusion about one's life to date and one's goals).

there are some interesting books and references out there on this:

The Red Book - Carl Jung (on his confrontation with the unconscious at the age of 38)

In Midlife, A Jungian Perspective - Murray Stein

and the dubiously-titled:
    The Middle Passage: From Misery to Meaning in Midlife - James Hollis

[youtube="f7HzbUtjlRA"]for us lazies[/youtube]

anyway, it's interesting stuff.
    ~ Catherine the Great

Johari.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Oh gosh, legendary? *swoon*

*crawls up* I'm really starting to think there's something to it to this midlife crisis thing. Always just discarded it as something that I could not possibly encounter. But I definately have reached a stage in my life in which I am greedy for more than I already have, even though I am not at all discontent with what I do have. It's rather that I want to have something different. What I have now is familiar, and it is starting to bore me. :>

I'm only 27 though, maybe not that midlife yet. But then again I've always been an early bloomer. ^^

Interesting movie. If I am still where I am at now at 37/38, I'm sure I'd be depressed as well.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    I'm only 27 though, maybe not that midlife yet. But then again I've always been an early bloomer. ^^
    yeah, 27's hardly midlife. but who's to say you don't feel the tug of these things earlier in life? i think midlife crises are the result of a great deal of accumulation of projection, struggle, failure, unfulfilled aspiration...some people might have lower thresholds for/higher awareness of these things.

anyway, would there be an element of entrepreneurialism to your writing career? there's tons of thatcha know. i found that no matter how hard i tried to conform to a "worker" mentality, my inner entrepreneur always fought its way to the forefront.

actually, being a writer is entrepreneurial by design. in terms of organizing a venture (keyboard-induced poverty) and assuming risk for it (eating ramen).

(speaks the failed writer)
    ~ Catherine the Great

Johari.