User Tag List

First 123

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

So does anyone want to share details about your experiences the incubation process of a startup? How do you discover marketable ideas in the first place? How do you predict whether such ideas will actually scale up into a workable product? How do you then recruit a suitable team and capital to actually take the idea off the ground?

MBTI
    entp

sure. will do in about 2-3 weeks

RDF

Here's an article by Scott Adams (creator of the "Dilbert" cartoon) on the foundations of entrepreneurship. It just kind of goes into the mindset that you need in order to be a serial entrepreneur.
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...p_mostpop_read

As for myself, I was a self-employed independent contractor for 7-8 years at one point in my career. Loved the hours and the freedom to develop my career at my own pace. But eventually I was happy to accept a staff position with one of my clients and have access to all the bennies provided by a big organization (health plan, pension, and all that).

That used to be the normal career trajectory for my field (translation): Work at home for a few years (or for a few decades) getting yourself established, and wait for someone to retire or die at one of the big translation bureaus.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

I've started my own business. Does that count? At the moment, I do a great deal of freelance jobs, but I'm also building a client base on my own.