• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Post your favourite molecular structure!

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
dna0.gif

buckyball-molecule.jpg

Sucrose.gif

7515-004-B7F0EB3B.gif

Rhodopsin_in_the_membrane.png

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
oxytocin baby.

tumblr_l8hozpigwO1qag9plo1_400.jpg

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
Funny thread... because no one else knows what the hell the others is posting..

Whats mine for example..

Everyone here probably got their images from the exact same place, google images. Everybody here also probably copied the URL and slapped image tags around it. So all we have to do is right click -> save as, your (or anyone's) image to find out the identity of the compound. Some compounds, however, we know by heart alone...

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm a bit of a softie for the structure of aromatic compounds. They're so cute, excepting when you're dealing with this sucker:
2,4,6-trinitrotoluene.gif

It may look cute like this, but light a match next to it in powder form, and watch it blow up. TNT, for those of you that are curious.

A

Anew Leaf

graphene sheets are cool, or diamonds.
(yes, they are both molecules, whatever their size)

!
I have always loved the fact that pencil lead is made of the same stuff as sparkly diamonds.

Also this is pretty:
rabies_berries.jpg

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
I was going to say endohedral fullerenes. But lets be honest, those are merely cool.

DNA-structure.jpg

á´…eparted

passages

Oh oh oh! Oh gosh where do I start? :wubbie:

Well, if I want to go from a "chemist" standpoint on elegance and wonder in ways of complexity for a natural product... oh man I don't know if I could choose! I could go with Taxol, the blockbuster drug for breast cancer. It's got a wonderously complex structure with very unusual features, bond activity, and it's synthesis is one of the most important of our time:

430px-Taxol.svg.png

Or I could go for fascinating. I'd have to say bullvalene. It's interesting in it's own right, but the molecule is actually fully spherically symmetrical. The molecule reacts with itself and rearranges billions of times a second at room temperature. What we see when we draw it is just a photograph of a particular shape.

85px-Bullvalene.svg.png

Vitamin B12 (cyanocobalmin) is also a wonderous structure. It's essential for human health, is a deep red solid, and is one of the most complex non-protein molecules in us. The first synthesis of it is downright amazing given it was done in the 70's. Which is very "early" for a molecule of this level of challenge. (spoiler cause the image is huge)

Kas

Fabula rasa
^ So much love in this post

I don't remember what it was about:unsure:, but I used to joke that Phenanthrene and Anthracene are my sons. So I'm posting them both- I love them the same of course

200px-Phenanthren_-_Phenanthrene.svg.png

200px-Anthracene2.png

I'm glad that this one was discovered.

medium.png

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
This is the cure for cancer: bromopyruvic acid
imgsrv.fcgi

Such a simple molecule and yet it has the ability to change tens of millions of lives and save us hundreds of billions of dollars.