User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Game Theory

MBTI
    ISTP

Default Game Theory

The topic has come up several times in books I have read and in discussions I have been a part of. Unfortunately I have little to no knowledge on the topic and would like to learn more about it and it's role in applied mathematics. Does anybody know of a comprehensive book I could buy that would go into detail on the somewhat broad subject?
    But sir, your opinion is wrong.
    TANSTAAFL!

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I'm looking forward to this too.

If no one's posted by then, I'll look at a few bookstores around my area tomorrow.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    ENTP

This isn't bad but I'm guessing you've already combed the page before you decided you needed a book.

It mentions this book somewhere in there.
    we fukin won boys

von Neumann, J. and Morgenstern, O.: Theory of Games and Economic Behavior (Commemorative Edition).

It's a bit dated, but a classic. I never read the whole things but it was rigourously presented (though I remember it being a Dover publishing book and a lot less expensive, so hopefully its the same one I am thinking of. I can't believe there would be many VonNeumann and Morgenstern books on game theory)

EDIT: Damn! you beat me to it.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    von Neumann, J. and Morgenstern, O.: Theory of Games and Economic Behavior (Commemorative Edition).

It's a bit dated, but a classic. I never read the whole things but it was rigourously presented (though I remember it being a Dover publishing book and a lot less expensive, so hopefully its the same one I am thinking of. I can't believe there would be many VonNeumann and Morgenstern books on game theory)

EDIT: Damn! you beat me to it.
    I saw that book on Amazon. After looking at the title I thought it concentrated heavily on applications to the topic of economics rather than an all encompassing study of the topic. I will look into it. Thank you.
    But sir, your opinion is wrong.
    TANSTAAFL!

MBTI
    ENTP

Well the book is only the public inception of the idea. Loose bolts were tightened and other various maintenance projects went on throughout the 50s, and presumably it's still honed even now.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    <3
    Socionics
    wtf

How much mathematics do you know?

This is the book i have

Game Theory: Analysis of Conflict
    by Roger B Myerson

But it requires at least calculus based probability and knowledge of set theory.
    You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. - Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Galt View Post
    I saw that book on Amazon. After looking at the title I thought it concentrated heavily on applications to the topic of economics rather than an all encompassing study of the topic. I will look into it. Thank you.
    Oh. Sorry. I got two of my books confused. Thanks for clearing up one of my "bad clusters."

This is the one was thinking of.

The authors are not as prestigious, but I remember liking the presentation.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I thought we where talking about Neil Strauss, but obviously im in the wrong place lol
    SDMF

MBTI
    INTJ

If you are looking to get a sense of what game theory is and how it is applied, I suggest "Thinking Strategically" by Dixit and Nalebuff.
    Amazon.com: Thinking Strategically: The Competitive Edge in Business, Politics, and Everyday Life: Avinash K. Dixit,Barry J. Nalebuff: Books

If you want a more academic approach, Gibbons is the introductory standard for economists: Game Theory for Applied Economists
    by Robert Gibbons Amazon.com: Game Theory for Applied Economists: Robert Gibbons: Books

If you want a more technical approach by modern day theorists that will unpack game theory for you in all its formalities, then I suggest: Game Theory by Fudenberg and Tirole
    Amazon.com: Game Theory: Drew Fudenberg,Jean Tirole: Books

I would not spend too much time with the original work by John von Neumann. My understanding is that von Neumann's work focuses on "non-cooperative games," which are no longer considered that interesting in the field. It would be like trying to learn calculus by going back to Newton's original work. The newer books explain the basics better and provide insight into how game theory's importance and practical applications have evolved.