123 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

Lightbulb VY Canis Majoris

Earth. It is a big world, IMO. The United Kingdom alone, which is tiny on the map has at least 12 major cities - with London being just one of them. London would appear as a small *square* on this scale, and it is big city.

Earth relative by scale to the Sun.

*Mind you; must pay attention to size of Earth in comparison with the Sun to begin with.*
    ---and---

The Sun relative to VY Canis Majoris; the largest star known.

... Pretty astounding, eh?

MBTI
    INTP

It's a really fucking big star

Another awesome member. Curator's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    It's a really fucking big star
    Ditto
    You are not powerless, you just need to accept your power for what it is, a part of the whole, no one man can save the world, but you can be a light to those who envelope themselves in darkness, The candle that sparks the inferno.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

The spaces in between stuff in space is more astounding, still.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Curator View Post
    Ditto
    Ditto.
    [I love using that word!]
    “To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man or even for any one age. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty, & leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of any thing.”—Statement from unpublished notes for the Preface to the Opticks (1704) by Newton.

What do you think about me? And for the darker side, here.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    The spaces in between stuff in space is more astounding, still.
    Indeed. Presumably *if* the universe is as big as they say it is, with galaxies, and billions of them, perhaps they should rather concentrate on the local star systems that are already mind-blowing by scale, any way. You're correct in that fact, because VY Canis Majoris would only go as far out as Jupiter, or in between Mars, and Jupiter, if it were in the center of our Solar System. Thus, the Solar System itself is much *larger* than VY. There is also a region in outer space, around the Solar System, about a light year away called the Oort Cloud. This is presumably as far as the Sun's gravitational effect reaches, and it is filled with Comets, and any such debris. From this outset, even VY would look like *nothing* (let alone the Sun) because the center of the Solar System is that far away from it! It's crazy. You might as well have 10,000 stars as big as VY in this region, even, and it would seem like these are the *viewable* stars in the night sky. The closest stars to us (Proxima Centauri, and Alpha) are about 4.5 light years away from the center of our Solar System, each around the size of the Sun, and we supposedly see *many* stars in the night sky, many of which are many times farther from us than those two. It reaches me to a very important conclusion. How do we know the universe is not actually only as far as, say, the Oort Cloud? It is a bomb of a distance away; one light year, to one and a half.

You need to check this out:

http://primaxstudio.com/stuff/scale_of_universe/

How do they estimate the size of the universe if it extends beyond the observable borders?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
    You need to check this out:

http://primaxstudio.com/stuff/scale_of_universe/

How do they estimate the size of the universe if it extends beyond the observable borders?
    Amazing.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Yeah, the size of it all is mind-blowing... Makes you realize why it is important to invent FTL travel.
    I do really wonder when they will do that... If there's anything that I pray for, beyond my personal needs, it's that.
    We need to be able to spread and colonize in order to last more than a few million years and evolve as a species.
    That would be truly remarkable... We've seen so many things happen in the last hundred years that I hope it will accelerate further soon.

I love thinking about this.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    Yeah, the size of it all is mind-blowing... Makes you realize why it is important to invent FTL travel.
    I do really wonder when they will do that... If there's anything that I pray for, beyond my personal needs, it's that.
    We need to be able to spread and colonize in order to last more than a few million years and evolve as a species.
    That would be truly remarkable... We've seen so many things happen in the last hundred years that I hope it will accelerate further soon.

I love thinking about this.
    I've wondered that too. Is it possible to travel faster than light. Will it ever be possible? Or is there some limits from the laws of physics that can never be overcome? If it does happen, I'm sure it won't be in my lifetime, which is too bad because I'd love to see humanity advance to that stage.

It's both fascinating and kind of depressing, thinking about how planet earth is just one small speck in the universe.

I
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne