First 123 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    I've wondered that too. Is it possible to travel faster than light. Will it ever be possible? Or is there some limits from the laws of physics that can never be overcome? If it does happen, I'm sure it won't be in my lifetime, which is too bad because I'd love to see humanity advance to that stage.

It's both fascinating and kind of depressing, thinking about how planet earth is just one small speck in the universe.

I
    It is theoretically possible, and as such it can be done if we manage to figure out how.
    Read up on the "Heim theory" and the "Alcubierre drive".
    I think it's mostly fascinating that we're just one little speck... Probably means there are more specks.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    We need to be able to spread and colonize in order to last more than a few million years and evolve as a species.
    Not only that. A new space race would bring great short and medium term advantages:
    • Technological cooperation could create a spill-over in political integration.
    • Exploration is a direct route to scientific advancement (possibly a positive feedback).
    • Exploiting resources on other celestial bodies could create a new golden age for our planet.
    • Returning to space would give a healthier direction to the (pop) culture of our age.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree. Man, it would be pretty nice to have a Star Trek society (but with some resemblance of taste in home decor and clothes, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
    Not only that. A new space race would bring great short and medium term advantages:
    • Technological cooperation could create a spill-over in political integration.
    • Exploration is a direct route to scientific advancement (possibly a positive feedback).
    • Exploiting resources on other celestial bodies could create a new golden age for our planet.
    • Returning to space would give a healthier direction to the (pop) culture of our age.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

It's not the size that counts!

*feels slightly tinier than usual*

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post

The Sun relative to VY Canis Majoris; the largest star known.
    +1

Talked about this with my family yesterday.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

Default [VY Canis Majoris - Size Analysis.]

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bcz4vGvoxQA&feature=related"]VY Canis Majoris.[/YOUTUBE]

figsfiggyfigs

*points to location*

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

LOL. You know where it is in the night sky? What captivates me most about Canis Majoris's size comparison to the Sun's is the Sun is already super big (and super vast); about 850,000 miles in diameter, yet it's practically just a grain of salt compared to Canis Majoris.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

Hold on a minute. It would take 1100 years (on an airliner, at 900km/hour) to circle around Canis Majoris just once;- that's at least 33 generations!!!

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by 0110011001110101 View Post
    The spaces in between stuff in space is more astounding, still.
    Yeppers.

using mace's image:

If the sun were scaled to the size of a tennis ball, then the Earth would be in orbit about 23 feet away...
    AND the distance to the Nearest star would about equal the distance between New York and Denver.

Going the other way with the vastness of nothing, If the proton in a hydrogen atom were a basketball sitting on the 50 yard line
    then the electron would be dime-sized in orbit at the fringe of the stadium.

"The only real valuable thing is intuition." Albert Einstein
    "My mind seems to have become a kind of machine for grinding general laws out of large collections of facts." Charles Darwin