User Tag List

Thread: Help Nocapszy!

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Default Help Nocapszy!

I can't sign on to my instant messenger. I also struggle with my LAN games with my brother.

I suspect they both manifestations of the same problem.

I'm running Adium, on Mac OSX, but it's not the application that's the problem, because I tried others and they didn't work either.

I have those verizon fiber-optic service, with the dynamic IP, and have had it for some time, so I don't imagine that's the problem, but I'm not really knowledgeable as to the nature of it, concerning drops.

I've determined that it allows me to sign on, but instantly signs back off far quicker than the software has time to react.

Can anyone think of a reason this might be happening? I'm not looking for a tech-support answer, 'cause I already tried all of that crap. Restart computer, unplug-replug etc. Done it.

Oh and one more thing:
    This emoticon is y
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    istp

if you have internet connectivity but certain applications wont work, it's probably a firewall or incorrectly configured proxy issue as the only network-side difference between your browser and something like a chat program is the ports being used.

if you aren't using a proxy of any sort, then you probably need to open/forward the ports on whatever firewalls you're using (whether it's a hardware firewall on your router or a software firewall). you can google any given application with "ports" to find which ports it's using, you may even find a guide to setting that up on your firewall.

MBTI
    ENTP

Apparently not. The thing just up and started going again.

I don't fucking get it.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    istp

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    Apparently not. The thing just up and started going again.

I don't fucking get it.
    happens all the time... my presence seems to bend computers to the will of their owners

"I swear, it was doing it a minute ago!"

MBTI
    ENTP

Well I'll have to ask that you stick around...

These macs have a lot of arbitrary issues that are never really detrimental to the function of the machine... they're just really annoying, and with so little control in the hands of the user, and almost all of it afforded to the OS, I can't do anything about it 'cause god knows I'm not going to ask apple to help me.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    istp

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    Well I'll have to ask that you stick around...

These macs have a lot of arbitrary issues that are never really detrimental to the function of the machine... they're just really annoying, and with so little control in the hands of the user, and almost all of it afforded to the OS, I can't do anything about it 'cause god knows I'm not going to ask apple to help me.
    but they're so easy to use!

MBTI
    ENTP

Who said they weren't?

I'll be the first of any mac user to admit that it has its flaws.

All these other new-age bourgeois dumbasses and their pseudo-spiritual crap, Steve Jobs being the one at the fore-front, thinking that there's some kind of intrinsic transcendent meaning if you've slapped that logo on there that makes it more perfect than the stool of God himself.

It's the reason everything you buy from them has a pair of those stupid stickers. You put it on your car like you'd put one of those "Jesus for the win" bumper stickers or a magnetic cross/fish. It's practically a religious icon.

I admit it, my computer is a cult object. Let's get past over it and move on. So I worship machinery. Now I'm a hypocrite? That doesn't seem fair.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    istp

steve jobs is a master salesman... "ipod" and "mac" are the frigerator and bandaid of the 21st century.

apparently nobody seems to notice that the stigma attached to gates and jobs is completely fucked up. steve jobs is the greedy asshole and bill gates is the one making a difference in the tech world.

regardless of his aestetic, culturally polished exterior, jobs spends most of his time making apple money, his visage being a part of that.

gates, on the other hand, spends most of his time giving away money.

MBTI
    ENTP

Jobs really isn't in it for the money though. He's trying to take over the world. That's not a joke. He is. I don't care if I sound like a crack-pot looney. I've read articles and seen movies. He's trying to take it all. The only way to get around government is with business.

The more money apple makes, and the more shit he sells the better. I think he only uses the company because they want the money and he can't do it himself. While he satiates them by handing that all over (I'm sure he keeps a good percentage) he gets to have his 'legacy' in the hands of everyone in the world from early childhood.

I'd say apple is actually doing a good bit of engineering though. You can't deny that. Yeah, it's all flashy and it's designed to sell, much of what makes it so will can usher in a lot of advancement.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

The only advantage of living close to Apple Headquarters is I get to imagine blowing it up whenever a Mac is giving me trouble.