• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Jeopardy! IBM Challenge

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So there's this awesome competition going down...

It's a Jeopardy (answer-question trivia) match with a couple of human megachampions and Watson, a huge computer disconnected from the Internet and designed to answer things closer to how people do.

The game has already been going and tomorrow is the last day but this article explains it nicely: http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/01/ibm-watson-jeopardy/

Since I am a huge Jeopardy nerd and very interested in cognition and artificial intelligence, I've been going crazy over this.

It's been interesting to actually watch this now and see the differences in the ways that Ken, Brad, and Watson respond.

This is a good example of a big difference (though it contains spoilers for those who haven't seen today's show yet): http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/15/watson-final-jeopardy_n_823795.html

There is a huge amount of scanning involved in the way the computer figures out the most likely correct response (80 trillion operations per second), but it can understand things in the weird ways that humans sometimes phrase them. I remember something on the show about Watson using associations, but I'm not sure what exactly is going on there.

Anyway, I'll post more stuff that I find relevant to this as I go along and frame exactly what my question is from there. I just got excited. For now, posting about how cool this is, is reason enough to post :p

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
This is a big breakthrough in AI, and will probably lead to some great human discoveries.

rav3n

One of my INTP exes loved to pretend to compete on Jeopardy which was pretty cute. In fairness to him, he usually "won". I'd be curious how well he would do against Watson but since we're no longer in contact, have no way to find out. Guaranteed he's already tested himself.

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
I'm surprised this didn't get more replies.

This is on Youtube, starting with this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLdkJpAtt1I&feature=related

Watson is made up of ninety IBM Power 750 servers and 4tb of data, including an archive of Wikipedia (which means Watson is slightly self aware).

IBM ultimately plans to replace primary care medical practitioners, lawyers and military intelligence experts with Watsons.

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
By the way, Moore's law predicts that in 15 years, our home PCs will be as powerful as Watson. And the Watsons of that era will be over 100 times more powerful.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've been watching this. It scares the daylights out of me.

I don't watch much tv but I saw the Watson episodes on youtube. It was really a beautiful thing, aesthetically or otherwise. What is there to fear, a potential cyborg army of the future?