User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Black holes

Permabanned

Default Black holes

So from my understanding our milky way galaxy contain millions of these black holes, but no body knows what their function is in the universe. Since black holes are formed through the death of dying stars, the gravity that is omitted out of these black holes is so strong that even light gets sucks into it. After reading about the big bang theory, and how it happened 13.4 billion years ago I came to a possible theory.
    Since black holes serve to condense matter into small sizes and form and combine with other black holes, would it mean that the black hole is trying to transform our solor system into the tiny bit of condense matter that was once formed before the big bang? If you think about it in about 5 billion years our star will die and might possibly turn into a black hole or get sucked into one. As well as many other stars throughout our galaxy. Is this the cycle of the universe? Do we all get sucked into a tiny bit of condense matter and then explode once again in a big bang, like the one that happen 13.4 billion years ago? I'm not an astrophysicist but this theory makes sense to me, what do you guys think?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

Well, when they ask what's *inside* the black hole, the answer most of astronomy professors give is "I don't know". We don't know what there is on the other side of the black hole, although various people have suggested the so-called *alternate dimension* (or, the parallel universe, per se). For a start, you don't even know what black holes are exactly, because they suck light, and the only evidence you can yield that indicate if there is *one* (hypothetically), is the way matter behaves around *it* (the unknown, concluded as the black hole). I don't know if this is the cycle of the universe, though. There are many unanswered questions, and again - black holes are still largely theory. When the universe came about with the big bang, it was said that it expanded so quickly, they have to create a new unit of time for it (the planck time). Basically, the universe went from smaller than an atom to practically the size we *observe* the universe as it is in just (approximately) 5 to 7 planck times. [1 planck time = 5.39 x 10^-44s.] - that's beyond belief. Gives you an estimation of what Infinity really is. Even now, the universe is accelerating at that estimated rate. This means, in my opinion, the universe is practically gone to eternity, and there is no force (black hole, or whatsoever) that'll affect it. If a black hole were to have any chance, each black hole will have to come from stars many billions (probably trillions) of times the mass of the Sun, which would take a farther millions (or billions) of years, and then those supermassive black holes will have to travel across the galaxy (across to other galaxies, maybe) to join together to get large enough to propogate greater damage. I think we may get sucked by a black hole. There's one super massive black hole in the center of our galaxy that's sucking all the stellar systems toward it, but it's also said we don't know what'll happen when we get near it. It's called the Event Horizon. Time also slows down as you get nearer the black hole, so if the solar system (with us) are sucked into one, who knows; to *us* we may feel an eternity as we're nearer to the edge of the black hole, but to the outside perspective, we're going at the speed of light (maybe). It's a weird concept, but really fascinating.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

What's even more strange are their flipsides - theoretical "white holes".
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Time also slows down as you get nearer the black hole, so if the solar system (with us) are sucked into one, who knows; to *us* we may feel an eternity as we're nearer to the edge of the black hole, but to the outside perspective, we're going at the speed of light (maybe). It's a weird concept, but really fascinating.
    It's actually the opposite. From our point of view, as we approach the event horizon we enter the black hole without any alteration to the perceived time it takes and we continue on with our horrible death. However, to an outsider, we slow down as we approach the event horizon and seem to be perpetually stuck in time, forever on the edge of falling into the black hole.
    "You can't take a picture of this...it's already gone."

“But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most?”
    -Mark Twain

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

The cyclic model of the universe, an alternative to the big bang theory:
    (unsure of the roll of black holes in the Baum–Frampton model, i'll have to look into it further myself)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclic_model

“But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most?”
    -Mark Twain

MBTI
    ENTP

Ok, the thing is that the universe is expanding right? That's a fact. As the universe expands the distance between galaxies grows, so you see, it actually becomes harder for black holes to eat everything as everything is being pushed apart.

The black hole doesn't necessarily have to serve a functional purpose in order to exist, as a star runs out of fuel, it's chemistry will change, it will expand and collapse under it's own weight. Kind of like the universe. Nothing truly disappears, everything is transformed into something else....so matter is in a continuous change.

Now assuming this law is universal, the universe cannot expand forever, it doesn't really make much sense, like a star, it will grow so big, that it'll collapse one day...and probably give birth to something new. Another universe? (Why do I say another..it'll still be the same damn thing) I think that as the universe collapses, it's laws of physics will change, something will change inside of it (assuming that it will behave like a star - that is transformed into a supernova afterwards..)

Black holes are truly fascinating, that's for sure. Our universe's deadliest creation. (of what we know so far) Yet when a star dies, it gives birth to planets, or other stars, because of the chemicals it has "baked".

It's pretty ironic, the death of a star gives birth to life, planes, other stars and who knows what else. The universe is self sustaining.

And (offtopic)

And I find it absurd that us humans, on a planet, out of the billions of planets, near one of the billions of stars, have a 2000 year old theory about how the universe appeared. We don't understand 1% of it. Maximum 1 percent, and even that is exagerated, yet we claim that a God, has created all of this. How can we know anything? When we're so small...yet with such a sense of self importance.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Lets put cosmic inflation aside for a moment and just imagine that black holes did swallow the universe.

When a black hole swallows something that something still exists in a scrambled version of itself outside of the black hole as information. It doesn't actually swallow anything whole and leave no trace behind. So if universe were to be swallowed by black holes, would the universe still exist in a scrambled version of itself outside of the black hole?

I have no answer, i don't even know if the question makes sense.. just something i thought about.

-Mark Twain

figsfiggyfigs

This forum is a black hole.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Your mom is a black hole:P

-Mark Twain

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

There was a theory called "the Big Crunch" that said that gravity might pull everything back together. But that is all gravity; not just black holes.
    However, scientists are now going with the theory that there is not enough mass or density for gravity to pull everything back together, but that rather, the expansion is increasing. So what will happen, is that all the stars will burn out, and a lot of matter will be sucked into black holes (the sun is too small to become one. It has to be at least three or more solar masses).

But the black holes themselves do dissolve, when particle/antiparticle pairs are ripped apart by them. (Hawking Radiation). Every particle that escapes while its partner falls in, reduces the mass of the hole.
    so after large periods of time, they will all dissolve. the universe will then consist of loose charged particles, or something like that IIRC.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas