User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    XNXP

Default Humane Execution ?

The "lethal injection" was offered up as a more humane way to execute condemned criminals. Up until recently it has mostly consisted of:

STEP ONE - Sodium Thiopental - To put someone to sleep and "generally" anaesthetize them.

STEP TWO - Pancuronium Bromide - Paralyzes everything, including beathing muscles. ( I wonder how this differs in effect from Anectine ? Perhaps longer lasting. )

STEP THREE - Potassium Chloride - Stops heart. ( Found in "salt free" substitute in smaller amounts BTW ! Also supposedly used at times by the CIA to kill unwanted people in such a way that it looks as though they died of common heart failure. )

Prisoners such as Joseph Clark have been known to gasp "Don't work ! Don't work!" indicating Step One was only partially effective. It is thought that some prisoners may have been fully conscious as the paralysis set in. "I hate it when that happens. " Diprivan is suggested as a more modern substitute for the Thiopental. "He looks so peaceful."

I wonder how often the authorities purposely went light on Step One so that the murderer received more "punishment" on the way out ?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

What is it they give pets to euthanize them? I remember thinking my dog's death was so fast and looked painless.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    XNXP

I'm not sure what they give to pets.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I'm googling and googling and I'm not finding what they use. The closest thing I found was about the euthanizing of small lab animals: sodium pentobarbital. Hmmm.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I'm googling and googling and I'm not finding what they use. The closest thing I found was about the euthanizing of small lab animals: sodium pentobarbital. Hmmm.
    If they used this ( commonly referred to as Pentothal IIRC) then you can rest easy that your pet probably went out peacefully. )

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Could we use that to execute people, too?

Edit: That's not to say I'm in favor of executing people. I honestly have mixed feelings about it, but if it is done and our intent is to be humane about it, could we use Sodium pentobarbital on the humans we execute?
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default For That Close Clean Shave

Whatever happened to that oldie but goodie?

Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    The device derives its name from Dr. Joseph-Ignace Guillotin, a French physician and member of the Revolutionary National Assembly, on whose suggestion it was introduced. Dr. Guillotin proposed the use of a mechanical device to carry out the death penalty. The basis for his recommendation is believed to have been his perception that it was a humane form of execution, contrasting with the methods used in pre-revolutionary, ancien regime (old regime) France. In France, before the guillotine, members of the nobility were beheaded with a sword or axe, while commoners were usually hanged, a form of death that could take minutes or longer -- other more gruesome methods of executions were also used, such as the wheel, burning at the stake, etc. In the case of decapitation, it also sometimes took repeated blows to sever the head completely. The condemned or the family of the condemned would sometimes pay the executioner to ensure that the blade was sharp in order to provide for a quick and relatively painless death.

The guillotine was thus perceived to deliver an immediate death without risk of misses. Furthermore, having only one method of execution was seen as an expression of equality among citizens. The guillotine was adopted as the official means of execution on 20 March 1792.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Whatever happened to that oldie but goodie?

It's quick and the nerves to the body are severed instantly.

An RPG round to the face is also a possibility. However this would require a large field.
    INTP 5W6

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by hereandnow View Post
    An RPG round to the face is also a possibility. However this would require a large field.
    As well as a mop and a bucket.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    As well as a mop and a bucket.
    A large bucket.
    INTP 5W6