• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Car that runs on air!!

Mr Galt

MBTI Type
ISTP
My biggest concern about this car is its power. They say it can only go up to 60 mph. That would make it nearly impossible to drive up a steep incline (something San Francisco has a lot of). If they can somehow put an on-board self-sustaining engine in there then I would be all for it, but otherwise we're going to start, as Uber said, paying for air.

Maybe a device that compresses air that runs on...compressed air? This car seems pretty amazing but I'm going to remain skeptical...

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
My biggest concern about this car is its power. They say it can only go up to 60 mph. That would make it nearly impossible to drive up a steep incline (something San Francisco has a lot of). If they can somehow put an on-board self-sustaining engine in there then I would be all for it, but otherwise we're going to start, as Uber said, paying for air.

Maybe a device that compresses air that runs on...compressed air? This car seems pretty amazing but I'm going to remain skeptical...

You won't be "paying for air", you would be paying for the fact that the air is compressed, which takes energy and equipment to do.

I'm not sure if the "air compressor run on compressed air" was a joke or just an odd thought release, but if serious, it would be pointless. Unless the car runs on stored solar power/some other power that it collects itself, or the owner can produce the energy themselves, you will be paying for energy use in some form or another to run a car, whether it be in fuel, electricity, compressed gas, etc.

Mr Galt

MBTI Type
ISTP
I'm not sure if the "air compressor run on compressed air" was a joke or just an odd thought release, but if serious, it would be pointless. Unless the car runs on stored solar power/some other power that it collects itself, or the owner can produce the energy themselves, you will be paying for energy use in some form or another to run a car, whether it be in fuel, electricity, compressed gas, etc.

This is assuming, of course, that the creators of such a device would find a way to have it compress more air than it uses, thereby increasing the car's supply of compressed air.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
My biggest concern about this car is its power. They say it can only go up to 60 mph.
A reasonable complaint, but consider that it's probably intended to be the same as the MacBook Air from Apple. Not the main car, just a supplement for every day driving/computing, without having to worry about the ties like wires or gasoline.

It's clearly not for driving all the way to canada from Florida. Unless you want to ask your boss for another week and an advance so you can pay off the traffic obstruction fines you'll no doubt accumulate on the highway.

Just like you should with the MacBook air. They both have good potential, but perhaps these things are best left in the designing room, where they can further the development.

Meaning well, and doing well are entirely different things.

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
This is assuming, of course, that the creators of such a device would find a way to have it compress more air than it uses, thereby increasing the car's supply of compressed air.

That is impossible (laws of thermodynamics and all), unless you compress the second set of air to a lower pressure, which means you will be getting less energy out of it anyway most likely.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I read about this a while back. IIRC the tanks are similar to the ones used by busses running off propane, able to withstand 3000+ psi pressures.

I think it's a neat idea, but dangerous as all hell in an accident. If you're in a car accident and the engine lights on fire, some gasoline will burn but if put out in time, only a small fraction of the potential energy stored in the vehicle will escape. Sometimes the tank lights and then you are in trouble, of course...

If you get into an accident with this vehicle, you're guaranteed roughly 100% of the potential energy stored in the vehicle will escape. That's pretty rough.
edit: actually, the video shows several smaller tanks under the car; so the released energy would only be proportional to the number of tanks punctured.

I can attest for the fact that compressed air is a very compact and effective method of storing energy to be used by mechanical devices; the high effectiveness of my air compressor + air tool set downstairs in the garage is proof of that, especially considering how bulky comparable electric tools are (I've owned a crappy electric impact wrench before; it was bulky and annoying to use compared to the compact pneumatic impact wrench I have, which can do upwards of 400 ft/lbs--the electric unit could do ~120 ft/lb max)

While I don't imagine such specs are in line with this company's goals, I would love to see one of these with the potential energy store of your average higher-powered 4 cylinder sport coupe (able to push, say, 350-400mi at an average of 55MPH) with the power of one--let's say a top speed of 120MPH with a comparable suspension, wheel & tire setup to a sport coupe (say, 50-profile tires with aluminum wheels). Having a top speed of 120MPH will ensure you have more than plenty of torque at lower speeds, to jump from 40 to 70 in a hurry, for instance.

Oh, and the brakes better kick ass.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It would require a recharge from an external source at some point; entropy in a closed system always increases so you have to decrease it somehow.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, it would. This is basically using compressed air as an alternative energy storage medium to gasoline, electricity (battery), or hydrogen/other combustible fuels.

Mr Galt

MBTI Type
ISTP
That is impossible (laws of thermodynamics and all), unless you compress the second set of air to a lower pressure, which means you will be getting less energy out of it anyway most likely.

I am well aware of this. But I don't doubt that one day physical limitations such as that won't matter very much. We'll find some way to get around them. Just not now. Probably not for a very long time.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I think the Air Car is an awesome idea, and I can't wait until they get all the kinks worked out of it.

I heard gas is going up to $4 a gallon by this summer, and $5 a gallon is in our future.
We must find an alternative.

If you watched the video all the way to the very end, you saw them talk about how
they're working on having the car be its own compressed air generator so it will never run out!

Did you catch the fact that the exhaust is "ice cold air"?!
It's an ANTI-GLOBAL WARMING car!!
It's everyone's global duty to own one! :smile:

:party2:Awesome!! Woo-hoo!!:party2:

sassafrassquatch

Nuke plants and plug-in electric cars could solve the gas problem. Screw hydrogen, biodiesel, ethanol, hybrids, compressed air, mexican pulled rickshaws and all the other screwball ideas.

Nuclear power is safe, they shut down at the slightest problem. The spent fuel wouldn't be sitting in pools if that peanut brain Carter hadn't banned the reprocessing of uranium to appease the hippies. We could all be up to our brightly lit eyeballs in cheap, clean power but no.

stupidhippies.jpg

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Nuke plants and plug-in electric cars could solve the gas problem. Screw hydrogen, biodiesel, ethanol, hybrids, compressed air, mexican pulled rickshaws and all the other screwball ideas.

Nuclear power is safe, they shut down at the slightest problem. The spent fuel wouldn't be sitting in pools if that peanut brain Carter hadn't banned the reprocessing of uranium to appease the hippies. We could all be up to our brightly lit eyeballs in cheap, clean power but no.

stupidhippies.jpg

The problem with using pure electricity is the fill-up problem. To charge a vehicle in ~5-10 minutes at an electric station, you'd have to push well over 1 megawatt (more like 5) of power into the vehicle's batteries (using some calculations I did a few months ago), and there is no way in hell you're going to see the power infrastructure to do that on a wide scale, plus engineering batteries to sustain that rate of charge (without exploding from overheating) will be difficult. If everyone's fine with taking ~8 hours to fill up their car at home, well, then there's a significant market opportunity for this stuff. But I seriously doubt our society will support that on the market, especially considering people vacationing--what happens when you're driving 800 miles away from home, and you need to continually fill up along the way? Solar sure isn't going to cut it. Moving a heavy vehicle across the highway at high speeds takes a ridiculous amount of power, way more than you get from the sun over the surface area of the vehicle.

Using a material fuel is the most effective way to store energy; liquid hydrocarbons have been the holy grail of portable energy for a long time, as is evident by the fact that we use them right now. When you're pumping gas into your car, if you were to consider the rate of pumping in terms of an equivalent electricity transfer, you're basically transferring energy from the station's storage tanks into your car at a rate of roughly ~5 megawatts. Try doing that with an electric hook-up.

I do agree that nuclear power is the best sustainable long-term method of producing energy for our society, but the resulting power must be packaged in something far more effective than conductive electricity. A nuke plant powering a facility next door which refills tanks of compressed air would be one idea, or one that uses electrolysis to produce hydrogen from water (not the best, but it's an option). I saw something recently where a process was invented to extract CO2 from the air and use it to produce gasoline--naturally this process requires a significant amount of energy input, which is where the nuke plant comes into play. That process is effectively a method of storing nuke-sourced energy inside gasoline. It's carbon-neutral too, since the carbon used to produce that gasoline came from the atmosphere in the first place.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The problem with using pure electricity is the fill-up problem. To charge a vehicle in ~5-10 minutes at an electric station, you'd have to push well over 1 megawatt (more like 5) of power into the vehicle's batteries (using some calculations I did a few months ago), and there is no way in hell you're going to see the power infrastructure to do that on a wide scale, plus engineering batteries to sustain that rate of charge (without exploding from overheating) will be difficult. If everyone's fine with taking ~8 hours to fill up their car at home, well, then there's a significant market opportunity for this stuff. But I seriously doubt our society will support that on the market, especially considering people vacationing--what happens when you're driving 800 miles away from home, and you need to continually fill up along the way? Solar sure isn't going to cut it. Moving a heavy vehicle across the highway at high speeds takes a ridiculous amount of power, way more than you get from the sun over the surface area of the vehicle.

Using a material fuel is the most effective way to store energy; liquid hydrocarbons have been the holy grail of portable energy for a long time, as is evident by the fact that we use them right now. When you're pumping gas into your car, if you were to consider the rate of pumping in terms of an equivalent electricity transfer, you're basically transferring energy from the station's storage tanks into your car at a rate of roughly ~5 megawatts. Try doing that with an electric hook-up.

I do agree that nuclear power is the best sustainable long-term method of producing energy for our society, but the resulting power must be packaged in something far more effective than conductive electricity. A nuke plant powering a facility next door which refills tanks of compressed air would be one idea, or one that uses electrolysis to produce hydrogen from water (not the best, but it's an option). I saw something recently where a process was invented to extract CO2 from the air and use it to produce gasoline--naturally this process requires a significant amount of energy input, which is where the nuke plant comes into play. That process is effectively a method of storing nuke-sourced energy inside gasoline. It's carbon-neutral too, since the carbon used to produce that gasoline came from the atmosphere in the first place.

Here's some math to back this up:

Facts-
1 gallon of gasoline contains 131 megajoules of energy, or roughly 36.39 kilowatt-hours.

Assumptions-
A vehicle is to be converted to electric propulsion, whose gasoline operation specifies the following:
15 gallon tank, 30 miles per gallon on average, 20% combustion efficiency (this is fairly average)

1 gallon of gasoline, at 20% efficiency nets (X=) 7.27 kwh usable power. Assuming the electric motor we're using to replace it operates at (Y=) 80% efficiency (also around average, might be higher), the resulting electric car will have to store 9.0875 kwh (Z) of electricity for every 1 gallon of gasoline the original vehicle could store.

Formula: Z = X * 100/Y (9.0875 = 7.27 * 100/80)

Multiply by 15 gallon capacity, and you need to store 136.3125 kilowatt-hours worth of power.

Wanna charge that? Assuming you're getting 100% efficiency in your charge (which you won't), to charge that in 5 minutes you will need to transfer electricity at a rate of 1635.75 kilowatts, or 1.63575 megawatts. (1 KWH / 60 minutes-per-hour = 60 kilowatt-minutes, transferred in 5 minutes = multiplier of 12. 136.3125 * 12 = 1635.75 kilowatts)

So 1.6MW is less than the 5MW I stated above, but it's still way out of anyone's league for distributable fill-up stations. FWIW, at 240VAC, that would entail transferring 6815 amps worth of current off the power grid. Yikes.

And of course, for academic reasons, consider 15 gallons in 5 minutes:
15 gallons = 36.39kwh/gallon * 15 = 545.85 kilowatt-hours, in 5 minutes = 6.55020MW.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
All this talk about carbon. Though I don't doubt the reports of the research that's been put into the role of carbon dioxide in the greenhouse effect, isn't it also significant that we're converting so much chemical energy into thermal energy?

Man, that sentence sucked. My writing is horrible when I haven't slept.

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
I am well aware of this. But I don't doubt that one day physical limitations such as that won't matter very much. We'll find some way to get around them. Just not now. Probably not for a very long time.

The laws of thermodynamics are one of a small elite group as successful ways of describing how the universe (people haven't found any case yet as far as I know that breaks them), and as they apply to compression and expansion (combined with other physical processes that cause even more inefficiency in compressors, turbines, etc.) means that it will be quite a long time, if ever, before people figure out a way to have compressed gas be able ot compress more gas to the same pressure with no outside energy.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
All this talk about carbon. Though I don't doubt the reports of the research that's been put into the role of carbon dioxide in the greenhouse effect, isn't it also significant that we're converting so much chemical energy into thermal energy?

Man, that sentence sucked. My writing is horrible when I haven't slept.

It is, and I don't know what the impact of that is either. Especially considering most power-generating processes (coal, gasoline, diesel, jet fuel, steam turbines used in nuclear power plants) vent off over 50% of the resulting energy as heat, without having anything to show for it except steam and other hot gasses vented to the atmosphere or heating nearby waterways. This is one major reason that natural gas or propane-powered heating is more efficient than electric heaters; at least if you're burning hydrocarbons in your house, the primary form of energy output is the form you want--heat. With electric heating, some 60-70% of the source fuel's energy had to be vented to the atmosphere for no reason before you received your measly 30-40% which will be used to heat your home.