• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Car that runs on air!!

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Car Runs On Air

For $15,000!
I definitely want one!
I wonder how safe it is in an accident.
And I wonder if compressed air tanks can explode.

ygolo

My termites win
I am thinking these car will have to be very light as well. I wonder how much energy it actually takes to compress the air used in the car.

It looks very promising, but I'm still very skeptical.

6sticks

MBTI Type
istp
That'll be great if it actually works, but they're definitely going to have to make it faster.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
That'll be great if it actually works, but they're definitely going to have to make it faster.
I suppose that comment is to be expected coming from a guy who has an avatar of a race car driver. :smile:

I agree with you though, generally speaking. I need to go 70 mph a few times a year.

However I hardly ever need to go over 55 mph in my normal travels, and 70% of the time, I'm going 30 to 35 mph.

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
Interesting, but still ultimately not practical. At least not yet.

I'm still waiting for the day when a non fossil fuel car comes out that actually suits my needs without having to own multiple vehicles.

Accident wise it'd be similar to the Smart car most likely. And yes Compressed Air tanks can explode if stuck wrong or heated.

I suppose that comment is to be expected coming from a guy who has an avatar of a race car driver. :smile:

Thats The Stig, not a race car driver. :tongue:

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Does anyone find the idea of being charged for air disturbing?

I have a feeling that if an air-powered car goes into active production, the government will tax air and make us wear suits with globes on our heads and make us pay for a resupply of air. And if you take your suit off, they will shoot you on sight.

This is a very good idea with disturbingly dangerous consequences.

sinnamon

MBTI Type
INTP
I would imagine it wouldn't do well at all in an accident. It also wouldn't be powerful enough to, say, haul a boat.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
It sounds like a good idea, of course. But the question is, how are we going to get companies to produce them, and people to buy them? Won't the oil companies try to prevent it somehow, since it would cut into their profits?

I really don't see a need to go much faster than 55 mph (88.51 km/h) in most situations. People who want to go faster just want to speed, in my opinion.

sinnamon

MBTI Type
INTP
I really don't see a need to go much faster than 55 mph (88.51 km/h) in most situations. People who want to go faster just want to speed, in my opinion.

The difference in being able to drive 70 vs. 55 on a long-distance trip is huge in how long it takes.

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
Give it fifty years then everyone will be whining that these cars are guzzling the limited amount of air on our precious planet.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
I'm still waiting for the day when a non fossil fuel car comes out that actually suits my needs without having to own multiple vehicles.

Accident wise it'd be similar to the Smart car most likely. And yes Compressed Air tanks can explode if stuck wrong or heated.

It sounds like a good idea, of course. But the question is, how are we going to get companies to produce them, and people to buy them? Won't the oil companies try to prevent it somehow, since it would cut into their profits?

I'm sure that the oil (gasoline) companies wouldn't be thrilled to see this car succeed, but I wouldn't classify it as a "non fossil fuel car." It simply uses an intermediate form of stored energy (compressed air) - which is likely to be generated by fossil fuels. Any net gain to "the environment" would be based on the car's lightweight construction requiring less energy to move. Minus the inefficiency generated by the intermediate step of converting an "original" form of energy (fossil fuels, nuclear, coal-electric, natural-gas electric, etc.) into compressed air. None of the original power generation inputs are necessarily (or even likely) to be "good" for the environment (they may be better than gasoline, may not).

Not that it's a *bad* idea, but it's not necessarily an environment-saver either. On the other hand, it does provide a method and a somewhat reasonable infrastructure-friendly method for "refueling" vehicles driven by stored energy that *may* be generated from environmentally friendly sources of energy (nuclear, solar). If people are willing to buy small cars :rolli:. We still have the problem of sustainable power generation, but at best it's a small step in the right direction, at least for niche uses.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Amen, mort. :D

I think somebody should start threatening to assassinate oil company owners, important people, board representatives etc, if they don't't stop interfering with alternative fuel research ;) They seem to buy up most new inventions in that area, and stop the research :(

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Amen, mort. :D

I think somebody should start threatening to assassinate oil company owners, important people, board representatives etc, if they don't't stop interfering with alternative fuel research ;) They seem to buy up most new inventions in that area, and stop the research :(

Do you think they're buying them up now so that when importing oil becomes too expensive and they start losing money because no one can afford to drive anymore, they can just "invent" a new method of transportation after they've milked fossil fuels for all they're worth? That's what I'd do if I were an oil company. ;)

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That's what they're doing, without any bloody regard to the damn PLANET they have to live on... Fecking bastards :D I'm not that into climate issues and general green peace activities, but what the heck... It's just too greedy to be smart at all. They're actually destroying the world while they're standing on it.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
... With an in-built green field with cows on it, making it a perpetual movement shit-car? :D

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No-no, not that one, I was thinking more like a moving cow-farm ^^ But it'd be very stupid, especially cows and other cattle generate about 40% of the greenhouse gas :(

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
You wouldn't have to stop off at McDonalds with that car. If you've got a field, there's surely room for a slaughterhouse, and a birthing barn. You'll never go hungry either. But then... do you even need to go anywhere?