User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ISTP

My biggest concern about this car is its power. They say it can only go up to 60 mph. That would make it nearly impossible to drive up a steep incline (something San Francisco has a lot of). If they can somehow put an on-board self-sustaining engine in there then I would be all for it, but otherwise we're going to start, as Uber said, paying for air.

Maybe a device that compresses air that runs on...compressed air? This car seems pretty amazing but I'm going to remain skeptical...
    But sir, your opinion is wrong.
    TANSTAAFL!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Galt View Post
    My biggest concern about this car is its power. They say it can only go up to 60 mph. That would make it nearly impossible to drive up a steep incline (something San Francisco has a lot of). If they can somehow put an on-board self-sustaining engine in there then I would be all for it, but otherwise we're going to start, as Uber said, paying for air.

Maybe a device that compresses air that runs on...compressed air? This car seems pretty amazing but I'm going to remain skeptical...
    You won't be "paying for air", you would be paying for the fact that the air is compressed, which takes energy and equipment to do.

I'm not sure if the "air compressor run on compressed air" was a joke or just an odd thought release, but if serious, it would be pointless. Unless the car runs on stored solar power/some other power that it collects itself, or the owner can produce the energy themselves, you will be paying for energy use in some form or another to run a car, whether it be in fuel, electricity, compressed gas, etc.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Zergling View Post
    I'm not sure if the "air compressor run on compressed air" was a joke or just an odd thought release, but if serious, it would be pointless. Unless the car runs on stored solar power/some other power that it collects itself, or the owner can produce the energy themselves, you will be paying for energy use in some form or another to run a car, whether it be in fuel, electricity, compressed gas, etc.
    This is assuming, of course, that the creators of such a device would find a way to have it compress more air than it uses, thereby increasing the car's supply of compressed air.
    TANSTAAFL!

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

My biggest concern about this car is its power. They say it can only go up to 60 mph.
    A reasonable complaint, but consider that it's probably intended to be the same as the MacBook Air from Apple. Not the main car, just a supplement for every day driving/computing, without having to worry about the ties like wires or gasoline.

It's clearly not for driving all the way to canada from Florida. Unless you want to ask your boss for another week and an advance so you can pay off the traffic obstruction fines you'll no doubt accumulate on the highway.

Just like you should with the MacBook air. They both have good potential, but perhaps these things are best left in the designing room, where they can further the development.

Meaning well, and doing well are entirely different things.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    INTP

Rhinosaur's Safety Tip # 101

Compressed gas cylinders can be pretty explosive.
    I wouldn't want to be in that car if it crashed.

YouTube - 270 vs Oxygen tank
    YouTube - Oxygen Tank Vs 300 Weatherby

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

This is assuming, of course, that the creators of such a device would find a way to have it compress more air than it uses, thereby increasing the car's supply of compressed air.
    That is impossible (laws of thermodynamics and all), unless you compress the second set of air to a lower pressure, which means you will be getting less energy out of it anyway most likely.

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

I read about this a while back. IIRC the tanks are similar to the ones used by busses running off propane, able to withstand 3000+ psi pressures.

I think it's a neat idea, but dangerous as all hell in an accident. If you're in a car accident and the engine lights on fire, some gasoline will burn but if put out in time, only a small fraction of the potential energy stored in the vehicle will escape. Sometimes the tank lights and then you are in trouble, of course...

If you get into an accident with this vehicle, you're guaranteed roughly 100% of the potential energy stored in the vehicle will escape. That's pretty rough.
    edit: actually, the video shows several smaller tanks under the car; so the released energy would only be proportional to the number of tanks punctured.

I can attest for the fact that compressed air is a very compact and effective method of storing energy to be used by mechanical devices; the high effectiveness of my air compressor + air tool set downstairs in the garage is proof of that, especially considering how bulky comparable electric tools are (I've owned a crappy electric impact wrench before; it was bulky and annoying to use compared to the compact pneumatic impact wrench I have, which can do upwards of 400 ft/lbs--the electric unit could do ~120 ft/lb max)

While I don't imagine such specs are in line with this company's goals, I would love to see one of these with the potential energy store of your average higher-powered 4 cylinder sport coupe (able to push, say, 350-400mi at an average of 55MPH) with the power of one--let's say a top speed of 120MPH with a comparable suspension, wheel & tire setup to a sport coupe (say, 50-profile tires with aluminum wheels). Having a top speed of 120MPH will ensure you have more than plenty of torque at lower speeds, to jump from 40 to 70 in a hurry, for instance.

Oh, and the brakes better kick ass.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

It would require a recharge from an external source at some point; entropy in a closed system always increases so you have to decrease it somehow.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Yeah, it would. This is basically using compressed air as an alternative energy storage medium to gasoline, electricity (battery), or hydrogen/other combustible fuels.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Zergling View Post
    That is impossible (laws of thermodynamics and all), unless you compress the second set of air to a lower pressure, which means you will be getting less energy out of it anyway most likely.
    I am well aware of this. But I don't doubt that one day physical limitations such as that won't matter very much. We'll find some way to get around them. Just not now. Probably not for a very long time.
    TANSTAAFL!