• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Stupid fans...

Atomic Fiend

The fan in the back of my computer isn't working, in fact hasn't been working for quite sometime now in fact.

It stays on for start up, like it's supposed to, but turns off and stays off, as in it never turns on again. I don't know but I think that might have something to do with my computers new habit of shutting itself down.

I would've returned it to the manufacturer (Dell Dimension 5100) , but the warrenty is probably expired, me having opened the computer before (To find out what the hell was wrong with it) I have a problem with me not fixing things that need to be fixed. (My computer, my car, my spine, etc.) A price of being broke I'm afraid.

Sandy

MBTI Type
INFP
Computer fans are pretty inexpensive and easy to replace. Have you ever opened up your computer?

Sandy

MBTI Type
INFP
Oh, man. I didn't mean to make you feel that way. :doh: Here's a SITE that can step you through it. Look at the part and pins carefully before you replace it. If you need additional help, just PM me.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
The fan in the back of my computer isn't working, in fact hasn't been working for quite sometime now in fact.

It stays on for start up, like it's supposed to, but turns off and stays off, as in it never turns on again. I don't know but I think that might have something to do with my computers new habit of shutting itself down.

I would've returned it to the manufacturer (Dell Dimension 5100) , but the warrenty is probably expired, me having opened the computer before (To find out what the hell was wrong with it) I have a problem with me not fixing things that need to be fixed. (My computer, my car, my spine, etc.) A price of being broke I'm afraid.

First of all, don't run your computer if a fan is broken... you could fry something (Although it sounds like you might have already).

Which fan is it, can you describe the fan's location and nature more precisely? If it's near the top-back of the computer inside a box or something you can't see inside of, then that's the power supply fan, and it means your power supply probably needs to be replaced. You'll probably have to buy a particular part from the manufacturer, because OEM computers don't usually work with standard power supplies (Although it might be worth checking because I've heard some do, and standard ones are much less expensive).

There's a chance that if you've been running it like this, you've already damaged it to the point that it's best to replace it, but there's no way to tell unless you try to do something with it. Very messy problem.

Atomic Fiend

(Although it sounds like you might have already).
I very well may have.
Which fan is it, can you describe the fan's location and nature more precisely? If it's near the top-back of the computer inside a box or something you can't see inside of, then that's the power supply fan, and it means your power supply probably needs to be replaced.You'll probably have to buy a particular part from the manufacturer, because OEM computers don't usually work with standard power supplies (Although it might be worth checking because I've heard some do, and standard ones are much less expensive).
Yeah, thats the one. It would make sense also, as when my computer would shut it self down all that is really nessesary to get it back up again is to leave it unplugged for a while.

There's a chance that if you've been running it like this, you've already damaged it to the point that it's best to replace it, but there's no way to tell unless you try to do something with it. Very messy problem.
I'll look into that. Thanks.

Atomic Fiend

Turns out my CPU isn't working properly because it was overheated, that explains why my comp shuts itself down and attempts to start up again. Apparently my processer was very high demand when it came to power anyways, so the fan not working didn't helo. This stinks because my computer is only 3 years old and, once again I'm broke. Seeing as it can only stay on for roughly an hour before shutting down I'm going to have to sell it to get some extra cash and buy a new one...

Damn it.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
my guess is that your power supply is croaking.

although the overheating in your computer could be due to dust (use blow-off to clean it out every 3-6 months depending on how dusty it is where you live) the fact that your rear fan also doesnt work suggests that it's a power supply issue.

your CPU is probably air-cooled, meaning it also uses a fan similar to the one on the back of your computer. if that fan shuts off then the CPU will overheat and the COPS will turn off your computer.