User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default What do y'all think about "people search" tech?

After doing a scan on yahoo of our favorite "relational guru" Adam007 (and finding more than I think he would have ever expected), I decided to do a scan on the userid I've settled on outside this forum (i.e., my handle on pretty much any other sites I'm going to).

I had originally wanted a unique handle, so that people didn't confuse me with someone else.

So when I googled it, I guess I got what I asked for: Page after page of all the sites I've been posting on... MBTI sites, trans-support sites, Yahoo Answers, WordPress, etc. Plus any site that my posts were getting piped to (e.g., some sites run Yahoo Answers feeds, and things I wrote 18 months ago were showing up on these other sites!)

Wow.

I'm a little amazed... and a little creeped out.

I know it's not "new" news, but what do y'all think about this and its implications for people, culture, etc?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Huh. I thought mine was fairly unique, I made it up on the spot and everything, but after googling it, I'm clearly very unoriginal.

Thanks a lot for bringing my attention to this.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

So you just Googled the words "Adam007"? I did and I saw an Adam007 at a bunch of movie profiles, but I was looking at posts and they were movie-related. Are you sure it was the same one?

What, specifically, did you type in? I wanna see this for myself!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Try this search.

Then try this one. (is that you on OKCupid?)

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Enneagram
    1w2

I scroogled Adam007, Gary007, and Jason007 and got much the same results. I only pop up here, INTPc, and MBTINebulous. I try to move with stealth across the internet.

Anyway, I google people and I don't feel bad for it. I don't care if someone googles me because I'm careful about what I write on the internet and if anything will come back to haunt me. I told you, strangers in grocery stores are the best people to reveal your secrets to.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

To be honest I don't really care.

This, this, and this is not even me.

It did give me a cool link to this. It also give a link to my profile on the veggie boards, intjforum, and myspace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    I scroogled Adam007, Gary007, and Jason007 and got much the same results. I only pop up here, INTPc, and MBTINebulous. I try to move with stealth across the internet.
    What about Raincrow007?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    ... I told you, strangers in grocery stores are the best people to reveal your secrets to.
    Yup... because the checkout line clears out REALLY fast...

MBTI
    Intp
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

It scares me, especially since the net's memory is limitless...
    Vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

It doesn't really scare me. As long as you're not ashamed of yourself, right?

For anonymity reasons, I do choose to use more than one username on the internet- it keeps my various interests separate and helps me control who knows what about me. Of course, "Colors" is too general to really get anything (278 million results!).

And it's totally amusing to google yourself! Though it does seem random what turns up #1, especially since it changes over time.