User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Interesting ideas, chimpy. Especially the part about Plato's description compared to the plain. I think this theory about South America holds more water than any previous theories i've read about, just because there was an advanced civilization there at the time. Not some fairytale about a sinking island. Nothing "as big as a continent" would disappear without a trace.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by meanlittlechimp View Post
    Before you fuckers call me a crackpot.
    LMFAO! Oh shit that agve me a good laugh !

It's an interesting perspective on the whole Atlantis thing. I wonder if the amazing geological formations known as tepuis may be clues to something that happened around that period, and perhaps sparked tails of Atlantis sinking. They're extremely high flat top mountains where the local flora and fauna are like a a glimpse into the past. Almost as if the land had a sudden upheaval, and everything on the tops of the mountains lived on almost unchanged while everything below evolved normally. The tepuis have always amazed and fascinated me.

MBTI
    INTP

None of this suggests how Plato could know about it, though. The Greeks weren't exactly landlubbers, but unless Jason or Odysseus made the crossing, there's nothing to suggest that they ever made it. There are some comments in Ptolemy (? I think it was...know I read it somewhere) about them believing the world was round and trying to circumnavigate but turning back because the ocean just kept on going.

Also have issues with how this separate, advanced culture (which must have been developing before the Greeks got on their feet) would be worshiping Poseidon. That's possibly something they "translated"...like, "Oh look a Sea god, the silly locals call him Flubbawhump but -we- know his real name", but it still strikes a mark against.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    The tepuis have always amazed and fascinated me.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
    Also have issues with how this separate, advanced culture (which must have been developing before the Greeks got on their feet) would be worshiping Poseidon. That's possibly something they "translated"...like, "Oh look a Sea god, the silly locals call him Flubbawhump but -we- know his real name", but it still strikes a mark against.
    It was originally Cthulhu but it got re-named over 10,000 years ago, like the original face of the Sphinx got re-carved.

Yeah, it seemed funny to refer to something the size of Brazil as a "large plain" or words to that effect ( too lazy to go back and quote exactly. ) . I thought that pundits had finally decided that it was likely some island near Greece which was originally larger or something. I've forgotten the name. Crete ?

Still, I enjoy such theorizing.
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

violaine

Quote Originally Posted by kuranes View Post
    ...I thought that pundits had finally decided that it was likely some island near Greece which was originally larger or something. I've forgotten the name. Crete ?

Still, I enjoy such theorizing.
    Thera? Modern day Santorini... I thought so too, I always thought it seemed most plausible. Eh, I'll go check out the links. Interesting...

MBTI
    INTP

Nobody agrees on anything, except that Plato talked about them.

Kuranes, you thinking of Minos maybe?
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by sanveane View Post
    Modern day Santorini...
    That looks familiar. The word "Stromboli" came to my mind and then I rejected it because I'm pretty sure it is the name of a volcano, or something in Pinocchio. LOL

Nobody agrees on anything, except that Plato talked about them.

Kuranes, you thinking of Minos maybe?
    As Bugs Bunny would say "Mmmm, could be!!" ( I couldn't dredge up the full memory. There was a time long ago when I studied Schliemann and all kinds of related things. )
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

MBTI
    INTP

That looks familiar. The word "Stromboli" came to my mind and then I rejected it because I'm pretty sure it is the name of a volcano, or something in Pinocchio. LOL
    Um...not exactly, no...

MBTI
    XNXP

Um...not exactly, no...
    That's one flavor. Here's another...
    Stromboli travel guide - Wikitravel

MBTI
    INTP

That's one flavor. Here's another...
    Stromboli travel guide - Wikitravel
    Pffft...next you're going to tell me there's some place called "Champagne" :rolleyes2: