• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Need Computer help, scary!!!

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
They were indian sounding and said they were from microsoft from melbourne, told me to connect to support log in rescue

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
how did they get the number. said that I have viruses so i run eventvwr and prefech like they said and yes I have errors and warnings in my system log

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
that are most likely what they say, and then i check indexing service query and type antivirus running in computer and it gives me an error, Error 80041820 - Service is not running, that avast isn't working.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
i bought the computer some 7 years ago they say that support expires after 5 years.
I asked why can't I just buy windows 7 & and a new antivirus?
they said the same thing would still happen...you got to register with us, then he gives me the web address to their technician site to connect to and the number to do it. www.logmein123.com
this was freaking me out too much and i just ended the conversation and unhooked the phone.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
They will ask you for personal information don't give them anything. They are lying.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
because my intuition was saying this was starting to be bs and they wanted to hack into my system

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
You probably sold something online, and had your phone number posted there.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I give my mobile only unless when i send out job resumes

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
Hmm..weird... They could have possibly dialed a random number. I've received a similar call, and I had my number posted on a website when I was selling my car.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
That was scary though, really, I can't believe I stayed listening for 30 mins to these people and how quickly the technician started talking to me after the initial person, hmm, just seems so out of place. I can't believe I was listening and didn't close the convo straight away.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
I usually have fun with them : )) I claim to be interested just to see what they want to do.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
they telling me to check this, do that, blah blah blah. I was unsure, why I stayed talking.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Thank you good to know, I was wondering that microsoft was gonna bust my chops and take control or someone was. Felt like virtual desktop. I said my brothers into computer science and is a system administrator why can't I get him to help?

I've seen him control a host of computers from his computer at work when he was at home too.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Have you logged into anything... on some link they told you to visit?

yes sadly i loggeded into that link with a 6 digit number they said and then I denied and blocked everything when I saw a Paul Smith on the other end and promptly left. Wow why was I that gullible damn, the worst thing I could have done, now they know ip, i'm gonna have to reinstall everything.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
The website they gave you is the real one of the actual and it's for remote access (a technician controlling your computer, fixing it's issues), I can assume that they would have given you another link, so that they can have remote access of the computer, and steal whatever they want, but for that they would need your "approval". So that's why they impersonated a technician.