• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Nature is Round, and Humans are Square

Tennessee Jed

MBTI Type
INFP
Nature deals in wholeness, which is round. Whereas man divides things up, creating boundaries, flatness, and angles.

To spell it out:

Nature deals in wholeness, which is round. Wholeness is self-contained and circles back on itself: The seed, the womb, the fruit, the fetus. Cycles of day and night, cycles of the seasons, cycles of the moon and sun. Nature is homeostasis: If something goes too far in one direction, it has to cycle back around in the other direction or it dies. Nature is balance, because it includes extremes as part of a back-and-forth cycle: It is wholeness.

By comparison, man divides things up. He sees the cycle of day and night and he divides that cycle into the productive day and the restful night. He sees the cycle of the seasons, and he divides that cycle into one season for sowing and another season for reaping. He sees the whole tree or the whole plant, and he divides them into edible parts and non-edible parts, or into parts useful for construction and parts not useful for construction. He sees the spherical rock, and he finds ways to cut the rock up into flat surfaces for use as tabletops and chairs, or as sharp weapons and tools. And so on. Differentiation is the foundation of rationality, logic, and analysis.

Division and differentiation are a consequence of consciousness. Yes, it separates us from nature. We bend nature to our will because we have the vision to see how nature can be divided up and reshaped into something more useful. That vision is the difference between the unconsciousness of an animal or an infant as opposed to the consciousness of humanity and adulthood.

Those who would seek a return to unconsciousness--the alcoholic, the drug addict--are seeking a regression to infancy and freedom from thought.

The human race--for better or worse--has moved beyond unconsciousness. At this point it would be "unnatural" for us to regress back to a stage where we can't see the parts that make up the whole. We are our brains, and consciousness is our fate.

Last edited:
A

Anthony Weir

I came across an interesting thought when I was walking my dog through a forest and around a lake yesterday.

I thought, I don't see anything in nature that is square, either aesthetically or down to the biological structure, if I were to examine them though a microscope. Moreover, after walking back into the housing tracks, I realized that the vast proportion of things that humans construct are square, and would done correctly, they are perfect squares. Then I started thinking about the possible conflict that this creates for us, for our world, and for our environment. However, my lack of understanding within the biological sciences keeps me from reaching a conclusion, or even a decent theory.

So . . . am I missing something? Am I full of nonsense? Is this a fact that everyone knows except me?

And most importantly, what are the implications of this situation, if nature produces that which is round, and humans produce things that are square?

I had the same thought - but more definitively - in 2003.
I googled 'Nothing natural is square' and arrived here. But SOMETHING natural has to be pretty square (apart from the accident of 4 trees falling in a square or rectangle)...

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I had the same thought - but more definitively - in 2003.
I googled 'Nothing natural is square' and arrived here. But SOMETHING natural has to be pretty square (apart from the accident of 4 trees falling in a square or rectangle)...

See below.

I came across an interesting thought when I was walking my dog through a forest and around a lake yesterday.

I thought, I don't see anything in nature that is square, either aesthetically or down to the biological structure, if I were to examine them though a microscope. Moreover, after walking back into the housing tracks, I realized that the vast proportion of things that humans construct are square, and would done correctly, they are perfect squares. Then I started thinking about the possible conflict that this creates for us, for our world, and for our environment. However, my lack of understanding within the biological sciences keeps me from reaching a conclusion, or even a decent theory.

So . . . am I missing something? Am I full of nonsense? Is this a fact that everyone knows except me?

And most importantly, what are the implications of this situation, if nature produces that which is round, and humans produce things that are square?
I can disprove this, especially now that I don't have to worry about encouraging your wrath for doing so, and I just need a little help from our good friend sodium chloride.

Here are some sodium chloride crystals:

1704056741418.png

Iron pyrite, AKA fools gold
1024px-Pyrite_Cubes.JPG

I do think we are often psychologically square in how we view the world. INTPs maybe more than most.

Last edited: