User Tag List

123 Last

Default The Large Hadron Collider

It is supposedly going to be operational by this summer.

LHC_Homepage
    Large Hadron Collider - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What do you think of terascale particle physics, the search for the Higgs Boson, dark matter, and new fundamental phenomenon/forces in the universe?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    xNTP

A few months ago my father and I were discussing an article he read about this collider in Scientific American. The whole thing seemed like a fantastic waste of money. And I mean that in a good way.

I found the physical aspect of the collider (the armature, ring, etc.) to be fascinating. It's an amazing feat of engineering.

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

:blushing:

Very timely... we were just talking about this on another thread... misreading that is... as I did the subject of this thread.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Seanan View Post

Very timely... we were just talking about this on another thread... misreading that is... as I did the subject of this thread.
    Yeah, I thought it read "The Large Hardon Collider" and I'm thinking..."Whoa...what the hell?" Somebody's mind was in the gutter today.
    Still using a needle to break apart a grain of sand.

Quote Originally Posted by JustDave View Post
    A few months ago my father and I were discussing an article he read about this collider in Scientific American. The whole thing seemed like a fantastic waste of money. And I mean that in a good way.

I found the physical aspect of the collider (the armature, ring, etc.) to be fascinating. It's an amazing feat of engineering.
    Well it won't be a waste of money if we find new forces of nature, or actually understand why there is such a big gap between the quantum world, and the world of gravity, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanan View Post

This thread was started the day before that one. But I still make the same mistake, despite the fact that I should know better.

Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

When mutants start crawling out from the inadvertent, trans-dimensional portal, don't say I didn't warn you.

MBTI
    INTP

I'm excited on whether or not they'll find the Higgs Boson.

If they do, it will be a step in the theoretically predicted world of physics. If they don't, back to the drawing board, making the particle physicists even more bewildered than the astrophysicists (if thats possible).

10 bucks says they won't find dark matter. Any takers?

Quote Originally Posted by cdal233 View Post
    10 bucks says they won't find dark matter. Any takers?
    Is that because you don't think dark matter exists or you think it will still be beyond our detection?

Robot Fusion

MBTI
    INTP

This is a cool toy for the physicists, but it's nothing NEW. They're using the same old techniques developed in the 1950s and 60s, just at a bigger scale. Besides, there's only so much energy in the planet, and the amount of energy it takes to detect a particle is inversely proportional to the particle's size/elusiveness, thus imposing a fundamental limit on the particles that we can detect on Earth. Wake me when they build an accelerator on the sun.

Sometimes it feels like there's nothing left to discover (as a chemist, this is not a good feeling). Call me short-sighted, but what great new things could we possibly make or do with a Higgs Boson? Will knowing that dark matter exists help stave off the impending energy crisis?

MBTI
    istp

im sure a wicked amusement park ride could be made out of it if it doesnt work out