User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Default What does the term "placebo effect" mean to you?

What do you guys think the term "placebo effect" means and what do you think the results of a "placebo" arm of a placebo controlled trial actually reflects?

Now before answering, I'd like to suggest: don't look it up on Google, Wikipedia, a dictionary or elsewhere.

What I am interested is your current understanding of the term.

If you need some prompting, then you can answer the following:

Do you believe that placebo effects are bio-psycho-social? In the sense that conditioned beliefs about medicine can have real biochemical effects on symptoms other than anxiety, depression and mild pain. Which symptoms?

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

I read somewhere that you don't have to work out, you just have to believe that the muscles will grow and they will. Now, that's placebo!

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Architectonic View Post
    What do you guys think the term "placebo effect" means and what do you think the results of a "placebo" arm of a placebo controlled trial actually reflects?
    The placebo effect is a physiological phenomenon that is caused by self-affirmative bias.

If you are talking about placebos being used in blind experiments, etc., they are simply controls used to help eliminate some amount of bias or statistical incorrectness, so that the experimenter may see how well his/her drug actually works, etc.

Do you think it includes the the (false) attribution of any changes in symptoms to the (placebo) treatment? Or any psycho-social conditioning (ie. stating before hand, this treatment will work if your pain is real).
    What?

Don't know if you've seen: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noceb...edirected=true
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

I hope I'm right about this stuff...
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Schopenhauer View Post
    The placebo effect is a physiological phenomenon that is caused by self-affirmative bias.
    Can you explain what you mean by self-affirmative bias and how it arises?

BTW, this is not about being 'right', but seeing what people commonly believe the terms to mean.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

The Placebo effect is what happens when you listen to the band Placebo:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbHkwrGgsoA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbHkwrGgsoA[/YOUTUBE]
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Placebo effect is when we expect something to impact us so it does, e.g. we feel better after ingesting a pill made from something like cornstarch if we believe it contains medicine.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

The placebo effect refers to a situation in which a known ineffective treatment (to the doctor, but not the patient) seems to improve health more than no treatment at all, due to the person's belief that it will have an effect.

A good example of the placebo effect can be seen by watching the episode of the Andy Griffith Show, "Ellie comes to town," in which the new pharmacist refuses to give a patient her pills without a prescription, and she then falls ill and becomes bedridden as a result. This makes everyone think that she's cruel for sticking to the rules. Later, she finds out that the pills the previous pharmacist was giving this patient, were actually sugar pills that had no effect, which was why they were given without a prescription. She gives the patient her pills, and almost instantly she gets "better," and rises from bed.

The patient herself could be considered something of a hypochondriac, but that's another word.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Socionics
    SLI

To me, the 'placebo effect' is a way of telling patients that they cannot possibly make their own observations about their illness. Whatever you observe on your own, it can't possibly be true unless a double-blind, placebo-controlled, government-sponsored experiment has proven it. It means, you can't trust your own senses (but the scientists doing the experiments can trust theirs, though). The placebo effect is a way of dismissing everything that mainstream medicine, government-approved medicine, doesn't approve of. If the drug companies want to sell drugs for attention-deficit children, then they will say that it's the 'placebo effect' when parents use the Feingold Diet (natural diet, no artificial colors, etc) and notice that their children's behavior drastically improves. That's just one example.... Don't get me started, I've wanted to talk about the placebo effect for a long time. I'll have to save this topic for later.

The placebo effect refers to the effect of a placebo.

What is a placebo you might be thinking... a good question. A placebo is typically a sugar pill (a pill made of sugar) that is given instead of a real chemically active pill...

The placebo effect is the effect that has on the individual.