User Tag List

First 345

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Actually, the way I see it, the intial article proves that the scientific method does work. Through reptition, and vigourous scritiny by peers, the conclusions of these studies did not hold up. Valid theories do stand up to vigourous repition, and close analysis.
    Of course the scientific method is flawed, it's a human creation, but what it seeks do to illimate (or keep to the bare minium) bais, and skewing of data to favour the intial out come.
    Reading the artical, I felt the author missed the point somehow. You cannot base your entire premise on one study (or even two).
    The author forgets that by it's very nature the scientific method breaks things to smaller parts before it can fitted back together to create the bigger picture, and that the picture changes with addition of new data obtained from a slightly different angle.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I wonder how many climate change studies have not been published due to them not producing statistically significant results.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I wonder how many climate change studies have not been published due to them not producing statistically significant results.
    Many thousands. It's a real shame.

Speaking of shame, does anyone get annoyed when scientists or journalists, after reviewing a study which they do not agree with, which happens to be published in a prestigious journal (Science, Nature, NEJM, PNAS etc), they then go on to state that it 'should not have been published' in such a journal. Are these people not aware of their own biases?

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalViolet View Post
    Reading the artical, I felt the author missed the point somehow. You cannot base your entire premise on one study (or even two).
    I kind of thought that was the implicit point of the article, but I agree with your sentiment.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by LeafAndSky View Post
    Interesting article here:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2...urrentPage=all

"The decline effect is troubling because it reminds us how difficult it is to prove anything. We like to pretend that our experiments define the truth for us. But that’s often not the case. Just because an idea is true doesn’t mean it can be proved. And just because an idea can be proved doesn’t mean it’s true. When the experiments are done, we still have to choose what to believe."
    Our experiments may define the truth for us.
    Truth returns to the subject.
    It is not truth, then.
    Only applicable.