• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

So I am lieeek addicted to Math

sciguy90

I really like algebra and dislike geometry. After taking calculus, I now realize how much I miss geometry lol =/

Emerald

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I like logic, so I find programming homebrew video games to be something that pushes my brain. Boolean operators are fun!

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
if you like figuring things out, then you are more inclined to be objective. If you are objective, then chances are your personal attachments won't project towards the object. In other words, the idea of "loving math" is near contradiction.

Math is an objective concern that requires objectivity and promotes objectivity. To truly love math means to have heightened capacity for objectivity, hence, the contradiction.

I don't see how having positive feelings associated with math and figuring things out gets in the way of you and the subject. It doesn't make you do math with less logic. It's not like people who don't "love" math (or are indifferent to it) are better at it.

I see the pattern of logic in your argument, but it doesn't make sense.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
personally if math was a typo and it was suppose to be meth I'd get this thread a lot more. I'm allergic to math, i don't like it.

roninpro

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'd just like to point out that there is a field called Algebraic Geometry.

The moral of the story is that mathematics isn't as compartmentalized as some people would have us believe!

Thisica

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
5w4
I like geometry and its modern counterpart, topology. Calculus also, but I struggled with its vector manifestation :( Unfortunately, I have to contend with abstractions as I deal with more and more maths, which would mean that my 'love' for would slowly differentiate into nothing*.

*=this is true if the function f(love for maths) is of a polynomial. I'm not sure if I can mathematise love :)

Hera

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
youfillmewithsuspicionandmisgiving-1.jpg

I am in tears from laughing at that picture.

Perch420

MBTI Type
NiTi
Enneagram
5w1
If I may make a hasty conclusion based on your posts, you more than likely don't know what real math is and the only reason you "liek" it is because high school level math requires no complex thinking, only rote memorization and regurgitation; therefore, you get good grades in math class and your parents smile at your success. Real math is nothing like what you've been learning.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
i thought it was meth too... oh dear...

in other news, i like topology as well :yes:

HOWEVER, in college I found myself fascinated by chemistry...and also it being a break from my liberal arts classes and that sort of thinking...and for my college math I had this wonderful professor from Russia, and apparently Soviet mathematicians actually approached math differently , something to do with being able to explore math as an art form rather than for strictly "useful" money-making purposes, and it made it SO MUCH EASIER for me to get it. It seemed like a more holistic approach, but I recall others, especially one guy in particular, dropping the class because they hated the way he taught and found it unnecessary and confusing. I'm convinced this style of teaching math is more palatable to people who have a more natural bent for the liberal arts.

ooh, excellent! i wonder what their system is like. i had an excellent college math prof who made it much more interesting than ever - he engaged us in games, taught us tricky statistical applications, and generally made us think of math in relation to "smart" things. i particularly liked learning the babylonian number system. it was an excellent class overall.