User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Hay Look!

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Default Hay Look! Robots!

James McLurkin's Personal Webpage

I found this a good while ago. It's about swarm robots. As I'm sure many of you are aware, I'm highly interested in computers and technology and electronics and stuff, and I thought I'd share. Maybe I can get some new ideas from you guys.

So read a little about them, or ask me a question here (I've done a good bit of research on this concept). Discussion (obviously... this is a forum) is favorable.
    Last edited by Nocapszy; 02-22-2008 at 04:27 PM.
    we fukin won boys

I am fascinated by emergence as fell as computing and electronics. So swarm robotics is something that fascinated me to no end.

But, my weakness with these things is that the things I find fascinating, I find hard to apply and the things I can find applications for, I usually find solutions simple enough that the more fascinating things don;t need to be applied.

So here is a challenge for all who want to take it up (if you don't mind Nocapszy), hind applications for swarm robotics, that seem simpler to solve using swarm robotics than not.

Things that come to my mind are (not that these succeed at responding to my challenge):
    1) Maintenance of buildings with hazardous environments.
    2) Maintenance Landscaping of very large properties.

Of course ad mentioned on the site itself
    3) Swarms of rovers for exploration
    4) Swarms of "roomba" like robots for cleaning

Someday, I would like everything tedious or repetitive to be done by robots or computers.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    ENTP

Of course I don't mind. That's directly encouraging discussion.

I'd actually given a bit of thought to just this a while ago.

Searching for socks, or lost keys, or whatever you can't find, is a pain in the ass. Having these little manz would be cool 'cause it would be like having a search bar in your house. They retrieve the coordinates for the missing item and present them to you so you can go and get them, OR if we were to make a modification they could potentially bring the thing to you depending on how big it was. Of course, then they'd have to find you. Perhaps you could get a GPS device so they'd always be aware of your presence.

I wonder now about the logistics of having these things identify household commodities. The ones on the site say that each robot is afforded a camera; Employing facial recognition software in an off-label use is a possible solution.

That's all I've got at the moment.

Anyone else?
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    ENTP

So this thread basically died a while ago, after only two responses one from myself, and I think it deserves another look.

Read the OP.
    we fukin won boys

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

This thread resulted in my taking a two hour long thoughts/ideas excursion on Wikipedia.

I have so many thoughts in regards to this particular topic, that, at the moment, I cannot commit to a linear mode of conveying the information that my Idea, or ideas contain.

Need to let it settle before I can synthesize my ideas into intelligible sentences.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ENTP

Kind of ridiculous ain't it? These mothers can do anything.

I was thinking about making a giant computer with a huge set of these things. It would be kind of stupid though.

When can I expect a response?

Also, how come none of you other n00bs even look at this? This is genius shit. I don't often willingly compliment, and you all are missing it. It's GOT to be good if I, of all people, am singing praises.

Ygolo knows what's going on.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    INTP

Terrain mapping of densely forested / covered areas
    Discovery of caves and underground tunnels
    Search and rescue
    Seeking out locations of covert enemy operations
    Leak detection for automobiles, power plants, waste disposal systems, etc -- any location that is not easily probed
    Underwater operations -- finding corpses, shipwrecks, mapping ocean basins, etc.
    Possibly construction esp. repetitive tasks like bricklaying.

I think this thread would get more responses if you retitled it to something indicative of the content, like "Swarm Robots."

MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    <3
    Socionics
    wtf

This stuff is crazy. I study all sorts of theoretical topics having to do with this in my dynamical systems research for my math degree.

Most of the immediate applications I can think of are simply maintaining, cleaning, various kinds of retrieval, and so on in various settings.

But what's so cool is these things could be made to be extremely autonomous and nearly self-regulatory. They could appear to adapt to new situations and behave in fantastically complex ways, but it'd all based on (comparatively) simple rules. Like how fireflies in Thailand spontaneously form bands miles long and flash together in perfect synchrony.

One thing I'd be interested in is shrinking these things down and giving them some ability to self-replicate and assemble more complicated devices. I've read that they could theoretically draw from resources naturally found in the soil, sunlight, etc. to self-replicate and whatnot.

Anyway, this keyboard can't do justice to my thought process. Instead I'll just say:

Self-replicating machine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Dynamical system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Cellular automaton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(The highlights of my two-hour romp through wikipedia)

More later.
    You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. - Jack London

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    Terrain mapping of densely forested / covered areas
    That's what I was thinking.
    Discovery of caves and underground tunnels
    Search and rescue
    Or at least locating the endangered people.
    we fukin won boys

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Yup, those articles were read too, those, and like twenty other relating/tangential topics.

I will post my synthesis later this evening!!!
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles