User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Default Holding Anti-matter

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_switzerland_antimatter

The whole thing sounded REALLY cool and exciting. To think we can hold onto something now-a-days that vanishes as soon as it touches matter.. i.e. like everything on earth.. It's awesome.

So what do you think this future information can be used for? Or is simply knowing good enough for us? Or maybe it's that we know so little that we don't even know if it's useful or not yet?
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

This is super cool, I read a headline earlier, hadn't clicked on an article. I don't if what good we can do with it, but I know scientists really wonder why our universe is 'asymetrical', mostly matter as opposed to antimatter. It should help answer some of their questions. Unfortunately, I'm guessing it's isn't practical to power our starships off of it yet.

Wow, energy potential!

MBTI
    SEXY

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    Wow, energy potential!
    Theoretically, yes. But the amount of energy needed to make anti-matter is always bigger than the amount of energy that can subsequently be extracted from it. So unless we can find a natural source of it somewhere in the universe it will never be a practical energy source.
    (removed)

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
    Theoretically, yes. But the amount of energy needed to make anti-matter is always bigger than the amount of energy that can subsequently be extracted from it. So unless we can find a natural source of it somewhere in the universe it will never be a practical energy source.
    Agreed. This is presupposing the big bang theory is accurate. If so, it's out there and if we can contain the purported "mined" anti-matter source, imagine the potential in interstellar travel. Galactic fueling stations!

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Wow, that is cool! At first I thought the article was going to be about something like dark matter or whatever. I feel like this can hold a lot of potential in so many things dealing with massive amounts of energy. Could one create their own star? Fascinating!

Oberon

Two college friends and I were discussing anti-matter. One friend and I were explaining it to the third fellow, Joe.

"So, for every kind of matter in the universe, there is potentially an equivalent anti-matter," my friend explained.

Joe's eyebrows shot up. "Wow! So you mean... there could be an anti-Joe somewhere?" he asked.

"Yeah," I said. "He's cool."

More heat than light shed in that discussion, really...

Heat Oberon, or empty space?

Thinking about this more, if we attempt to tap into natural sources of anti-matter, what will happen to the balance, if any of it exists?

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. There isn't a 1:1 ratio of matter to anti-matter, and matter/anti-matter aren't really "linked" in some sort of way that says what happens to one must happen to some coupled pair somewhere. One of the questions for early cosmology/physics is why there's anything at all, and why we're not just awash in a sea of photons. The usual answer is just quantum uncertainty but they're looking into it to perhaps find something more substantial.

figsfiggyfigs

* wants to touch*