• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Holding Anti-matter

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_switzerland_antimatter

The whole thing sounded REALLY cool and exciting. To think we can hold onto something now-a-days that vanishes as soon as it touches matter.. i.e. like everything on earth.. It's awesome.

So what do you think this future information can be used for? Or is simply knowing good enough for us? Or maybe it's that we know so little that we don't even know if it's useful or not yet?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is super cool, I read a headline earlier, hadn't clicked on an article. I don't if what good we can do with it, but I know scientists really wonder why our universe is 'asymetrical', mostly matter as opposed to antimatter. It should help answer some of their questions. Unfortunately, I'm guessing it's isn't practical to power our starships off of it yet. :(

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
Wow, energy potential!

Theoretically, yes. But the amount of energy needed to make anti-matter is always bigger than the amount of energy that can subsequently be extracted from it. So unless we can find a natural source of it somewhere in the universe it will never be a practical energy source.

rav3n

Theoretically, yes. But the amount of energy needed to make anti-matter is always bigger than the amount of energy that can subsequently be extracted from it. So unless we can find a natural source of it somewhere in the universe it will never be a practical energy source.
Agreed. This is presupposing the big bang theory is accurate. If so, it's out there and if we can contain the purported "mined" anti-matter source, imagine the potential in interstellar travel. Galactic fueling stations!

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Wow, that is cool! At first I thought the article was going to be about something like dark matter or whatever. I feel like this can hold a lot of potential in so many things dealing with massive amounts of energy. Could one create their own star? Fascinating!

O

Oberon

Two college friends and I were discussing anti-matter. One friend and I were explaining it to the third fellow, Joe.

"So, for every kind of matter in the universe, there is potentially an equivalent anti-matter," my friend explained.

Joe's eyebrows shot up. "Wow! So you mean... there could be an anti-Joe somewhere?" he asked.

"Yeah," I said. "He's cool."

More heat than light shed in that discussion, really...

rav3n

Heat Oberon, or empty space? :tongue:

Thinking about this more, if we attempt to tap into natural sources of anti-matter, what will happen to the balance, if any of it exists?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I'm not entirely sure what you mean. There isn't a 1:1 ratio of matter to anti-matter, and matter/anti-matter aren't really "linked" in some sort of way that says what happens to one must happen to some coupled pair somewhere. One of the questions for early cosmology/physics is why there's anything at all, and why we're not just awash in a sea of photons. The usual answer is just quantum uncertainty but they're looking into it to perhaps find something more substantial.

F

figsfiggyfigs

* wants to touch*
180px-All_Glory_to_the_Hypno_Toad.gif

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Entropy increases over time anyways, and the timeline of this universe ends with cold, dark death regardless of whether or not we're here. We won't accelerate that inevitability in any meaningful degree, so it's not something to worry about.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
Entropy increases over time anyways, and the timeline of this universe ends with cold, dark death regardless of whether or not we're here. We won't accelerate that inevitability in any meaningful degree, so it's not something to worry about.

Jup, besides, we are allready increasing entropy by burning oil, splitting atoms, farting etc.And appart from that, one solar flare outburst is increasing the universes total entropy more then the earth with all humans does in a decade!